Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

To ground. Negative.

Honestly (without trying to be mean) if you don’t know what GND means I doubt your ability to make an esk8 :confused:

Oh you literally meant to measure them :sweat_smile: I thought maybe you meant there was a way to check how the slicer setup the makerbot file or something

Oh lol, nah I always just go with the easiest possible option. Grabbing a ruler works, so that’s what I do. There’s probably other more advanced and more accurate ways but who needs that for this kind of project :stuck_out_tongue:

Its aliveee :smile:

god damn cat5 cable is so stiff i wish had some silicone wires laying around :frowning:

@solidgeek status leds still relevant? I don’t have led holes on my copy :confused:

3 Likes

@Snowi I am not sure the A3144 would work. The Hall sensor needs to have a “ratiometric output voltage”, which means that the output voltage changes according to the magnetic field. Try searching on “Linear Hall-Effect Sensor” should give you something to choose from.

@SeeTheBridges The holes are meant to be tapped, therefore the holes are 2.5mm instead of 3 so you are able to cut threads. I understand now that most people don’t have tapping equipment to do so, I will probably update the model to have 3mm holes instead.

@Snowi All that GND wires is connected, it is just a simple way to show it.

@Zyb Looks good! Well the status LEDs are gone, simply because the OLED display shows all the relevant information :slight_smile:

2 Likes

parts ordered. in 30-50 days we know more :slight_smile: should be enough for 5 remotes. also, i wanted to play arround with a few other designs. i want something with trigger and a bigger screen.

PS: thanks for all the effort :slight_smile:

1 Like

So Ive been reading up a shit ton to learn all about how VESCs and voltages and everything work… In general, you shouldn’t need a step-down circuit for the TX and RX pins coming from the Arduino because those are 5V tolerant pins on the STM32F4 CPU that runs VESCs… SO, no need to worry about that. I can cross that off the list of things I was gonna potentially have to cover.

@SeeTheBridges Actually I tried to use a voltage divider with my remote today, just to give it a try. And all my UART communication stopped working. I used a 1k and 2k resistor, maybe the values were too high? Anyway if the pins are 5V tolerant, there are no need :slight_smile:

I had announced that I would be releasing a new software update today, but I have been having some issues to implement cruise control with RollingGeckos library. I found this library instead: https://github.com/bastianraschke/ESP8266VESC which has many more features, like setting the RPM value with UART. This I believe can be used to implement cruise control. Any thoughts on this? :smiley:

EDIT: Just realised that RollingGecko has been working on another branch, that has the features I need: https://github.com/RollingGecko/VescUartControl/tree/imartinezl-master

2 Likes

Anyone got an extra spring and micro switch they got? Or maybe even got extra magnets. I know most people bought a bulk of them so I would assume that they got no other use for them. I would love to get them off your hands. I am willing to pay for shipping and any other costs.

Hmmm, well personally I’m not looking for cruise control. that sounds a little dangerous to me personally.

@Snowi where are you located? I’ve got spare springs and switches.

1 Like

I live in Las Vegas, NV. I can PM you the exact address and other info.

I checked the reference manual again crossing with the pin definition of UART port and your right. So I was wrong, thanks for having pointed that !

@solidgeek : Strange. I use boards with 1k and 2.2k as voltage divider and it works fine. What baudrate do you use ?

2 Likes

Vesc 6 has nrf anyway this would be compatible?

1 Like

@SeeTheBridges Well I like to be able to cruise at a certain speed, it’s nice on long trips :slight_smile:

@Pimousse Yeah I was puzzled by it too, it should have worked. I use 115200, do you think that should affect anything?

@bimmer Yeah the VESC 6 got a build-in nRF24 antenna, however, I have not been able to figure out how to use it yet, and Benjamin isn’t of much help :frowning: VESCs, in general, are so very complicated and - very undocumented.

1 Like

When I use a simple Arduino powered by the VESC itself without other GND sharing, the comm. works flawlessly with the voltage divider even at 115200 bauds.

Now the point is that I’m using several devices connected to each other and it creates a mess with the GND.

I resolved issues by removing GND connection between VESC and Arduino and between Rx and Arduino. So no more loop, the GND is now shared through UBEC only. However, I can’t go above 9600 bauds otherwise I loose the comm. Don’t know why. I still have a lost packet time by time, but It’s only for monitoring purpose so it doesn’t really matter.

About nRF, Benjamin designed it to be compatible with his nRF controller. Check the corresponding github repo, you’ll find more details about nRF comm. Anyway, I’m agree : there’s freaking NO documentation although the VESC Project is meant to be a wide Open Source project… I asked at the begin of the beta program to allow disabling the nRF module (thus avoiding to pollute with undesired RF on the same band as the bluetooth), but Trampa refused. I’m still convinced that it really doesn’t help metr.at module to have a steady connection. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

I was wondering if this booster works. It goes from 3V to 5V so I assume it would work. It just uses USB, but I could exchange that with micro USB.

Hmm, I got my receiver all wired up, and it powers on. But for some reason I’m having that reset issue where the remote won’t connect unless I press the reset button on the receiver. The other guy in the thread with the issue got lucky and it sorted itself out :triumph: so thats no help

EDIT: Hmmm, If I turn my board on an off a couple times, the receiver fixes itself. No idea what to do to make it a proper fix, but I’m just gonna hit the power button a bunch until it cooperates :woman_shrugging: How would I calibrate my remote without firmware 2.0?

Do you experience the same issue while the receiver is powered from USB and disconnected from VESC? And have you added a capacitor on the receiver 5v input? A few pictures of your wirering and setup would be nice :slight_smile:

It would work, but remember to make sure that it fits inside :slight_smile:

Removing that GND between the Arduino and VESC seems very dangerous, unless of course the Arduino gets GND through UBEC. Why have you connected Arduino receiver with UBEC? I would remove the ground connection between UBEC and Arduino, and keep the one between VESC and Arduino.