Rookie mistakes thread!

Helpful checklist I created, i’m sure there’s more to add, but it’s a good start.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3XErWyqfoTEWmpNemVFcm5uN3FyWFdvaEpwWDl4VXh0TW9j/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msexcel

3 Likes

When I was first doing my build @b264 suggested hooking up a micro usb to the Focbox and extending outside enclosure for tuning purpose it only took me having to unbolt enclosure maybe 10 or 15 times before I remembered the wisdom in his suggestion. I now have a USB added to configuration and ported outside enclosure and am using a 16’’ Tripp-lite USB 2.0 Extension cable I had laying around which makes tuning a breeze.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Hi-Speed-Extension-U026-016/dp/B0002D6QJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532925494&sr=8-1&keywords=tripp+lite+usb+2.0+hi-speed+active+extension+repeater+cable

3 Likes

If you waterproof it, the extended USB can be an issue – but especially for a first build, it’s almost a requirement. Another alternative, though not as good, is to get a bluetooth setup working first on the bench, before mounting it on the board.

1 Like

Agree hooking up a bluetooth module for handling config either through the bluetooth connection or through the TCP bridge option makes it trivial to connect to your board without opening anything up and reconfigure things (with the metr app can also setup ‘modes’ with different amp limits on motor/battery and swipe the rows with them defined to apply them which is handy for giving the board over to someone who has never ridden an electric before without having it blast out from under them)

1 Like

I’ve got these pricey but good image RS components

3 Likes

IP67 waterproof and you can get a little boot for it too https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/usb-cable-assemblies/1116750/

1 Like

I had no idea that on nano-x ‘slow mode’ also made your brakes weak along with your acceleration and top speed. Coming down twin peaks, my heart fucking stopped when the brakes could not stop me for a long time. Thankfully I was able to ride that out but I thought I was going to fucking die or something. If you have nano-x always be in R-Spec mode. ALWAYS!! Maybe I should make a PSA post for this

2 Likes

I’m presuming you have a raptor 2?

No, i have a diy, just with nano-x remote.

1 Like

Did you configure the app in the vesc tool?

Yep, did everything but while i was on R-spec mode. Later switched to slow.

when you calibrated it did it go full left and then right or just about 70%

My biggest mistake was cheaping out on my first board. I spent well over $200 in esc (for a mono drive) before I finally decided to switch to Vesc. I also had a 42xx motor which was 500kv because it was on clearance. Fried 4 of those before welcoming myself into the land of the 6374’s😂

3 Likes

I like that even if the price does seem a little bit High

aussie dollars though but still expensive. I find that with RS they sell quality gear and the delivery is usually next day for stocked items so it kind of makes up for it. I only buy my small electronic connectors and belts from them anyways

Not Putting my FOCbox in my enclosure, they’re going in one of the metal CNC cases mounted above my trucks top side. So it wouldn’t be quite as bad as getting inside my enclosure, but having direct access like that would be nice

I just got fed up with taking my lid off every time to change settings so I’ve got one of these through each side of the enclosure beside the charge port and power switch. Since I put them in I haven’t changed my settings once though. By the time I got them installed I had the thing dialled up sweet :joy:

2 Likes

That’s one thing I really need to do some reading up on. The last thing I want to do is screw up my settings and end up hurting any of my equipment. I usually have to read something five or six times in multiple people’s wordings before it sinks in, I’m better at learning Hands-On. And I just have not had the time to sit down and do such a thing.

3 Likes

Ahhhh the memories

4 Likes

-Hot glue sucks in these builds. Use silicone or other means. -Don’t overcomplicate the build. The less there is things, less there is options for failure. -hand strap for your remote!

3 Likes