Rookie mistakes thread!

I would love to hear what benefits silicone has over the hot glue. Or at least the negative aspects of the hot glue @Quezacotl

Due to vibrations, it just goes off, since itā€™s not flexible at all. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s bad for everything, but in rush, i tend to use it more and be sorry afterwards.

2 Likes

thanks @Quezacotl, That makes sense. do you recommend a certain type of silicone?

Iā€™m no expert on silicones. Iā€™m just using some random that they use on cars also.

1 Like

Good enough. Iā€™m liking this thread itā€™s giving me a lot of new things to search and read up on

1 Like

look for Sikaflex. The strongest sealing and glueing paste I have ever seen :sweat_smile: but, donā€™t forget to wear glovesā€¦it will stay days on your handsā€¦

3 Likes

Could be another one here chaps. Well named thread this. Hot glue works on connectors etc because you can remove it at a push and it is an insulator. Silicon (the name should give it away really) sealant is a great insulator also but only when its cured when in liquid or gel form apparently it conducts electricity so if using to glue connectors in, I wouldā€™nt. Most release acetic acid too when curing which eats copper brass etc so always use a neutral cure product or say goodbye to small electronic connections down the line. Oh and its really messy shit. Sika is the best waterproofing agent around for holes and stuff but even messier.

3 Likes

really good to know, I use a hot glue that is quite rubbery - it seems to hold up ok

superglue, hot glue all are fine for gluing connectors in but wet silicon be careful of plus its a bitch to get off once cured. Its the acid thing thatā€™s a worry because its not common knowledge.

If it ainā€™t broke donā€™t fix it

1 Like

Nickel strip. Im going to build a 10s6p pack and I thought in my mind ā€œman youā€™re not going to use more than 3 meters of nickel strip on that shit dudeā€. Well turns out I actually need 11 meters to build the pack. Before you order nickel strip do the math. And just to be on the safe side order 2 more meters than you need.

1 Like

Pictures? 10 character

Pictures of the pack? I havenā€™t started on the pack yet but I got a diagram of it.

10s6p

1 Like

That pack is not going to work connected like that. Youā€™ve got a 0S3P pack there, not 10S

2 Likes

Grass green lines are 10mm X 0.15mm nickel strip. The dark green lines is also nickel strip but itā€™s making it a 1s6p pack. Blue lines are also nickel strip that connects the parallel packs into series. Red lines are 10 awg that does the same.

Check your polarity From your second pack you go ++ ist again parallel. Itā€™s the same with all rows in your drawing

More easy to say your red lines also parallel connections

1 Like

Iā€™ve made orange boxes that shows the parallel packs. + is connected to + and - is connected to -. The dark green lines connect the pack into a 1s6p.

But the red lines are fucked. Didnā€™t see that before. Thanks!

1 Like

So then the red lines, the pack +, and the pack - connections are incorrect.

But even if you corrected them, that much complexity will lead to fast failure under heavy vibration.

1 Like

Im not going to build the pack like that. The diagram just shows the connections. Itā€™s going to be double stacked and itā€™s hard to show that in 2D. Iā€™ll post a picture laterā€¦

So then you would connect it this way in a 10S6P configuration ā€“ but again, this will last no longer than a stinky fart under heavy vibrations.

10s6p

1 Like