Rookie mistakes thread!

What are you ordering from china?

Right now Iā€™m on my mobile but I can post everything later. Itā€™s stuff like screws, fish paper and wire.

1 Like

Thats all good. Thought you were making another mistake by buying chinese components lol Post the build though with pics lots of pics.

1 Like

@dareno https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/bankrupt-ordering-and-building-single-belt-drive-10s6p-18ah-30q-vesc-royce-pro-1800/53111

1 Like

Not even a rookie mistake from time to time is forgetting to put the heat shrink on before you solder.

I can vouch for having the ppm wires to close to the phase wires. Having them next to the battery wires does not help either.

With the nano x remote, if the battery dies of the remote while riding the board, it will go into a full stop. Found out the hard way.

Donā€™t ride in the wet and not dry your bearings after. They will rust.

Make sure you securely connect the phase wires. If they loosen while riding and you let go of the throttle the motor will brake even just from one loose phase wire.

Securely connect the ppm wire to the receiver. When they slowly vibrate loose you will get interference like behavior.

Never ride without a helmet. I did not find that out the hard way hence me being able to give this advice.

13 Likes

China parts: @dareno

I could also have ordered 10 AWG wire, heat shrink, connectors, foam, tools etc. to save some money :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Rookie mistakes you say? I have a few good ones.

First, the same week I got my new enclosure and deck I rode off a curb and 3/6 bolts tore through my shiny new enclosure and left half my electronics behind. It has since been duct taped to the board until I buy a new one and use washers this time lol.

I also drilled through my deck to mount the enclosure. The screw pattern is a bit odd though so either have to use this type of enclosure forever or make a new one with the same screw layout. Plan for the future!

3 Likes

Thats why Iā€™m screwing no sā€¦ to my carbon deck! Messing up with an already delicate and complex to make carbon piece is looking for troubles. Thats why Iā€™ll implement a diferent type of enclosure attachment (velcro, magnets, etc). No drilling. Nooooo Sr.

What did you use to mount the enclosure and components for the first time?

You should! Iā€™m already on the way to my 3rd. board and everytime I see all of them hanging there makes me wonder ā€œWTHk Iā€™m doing?ā€ This is nuts. Bucks cascading with no end from my pockets to this whirling Niagaraā€¦and Iā€™m still reading and learning sā€¦ all day.

1 Like

Didnā€™t secure my motor phase leads, blew up a DRVā€¦ dā€™oh! @sayekim I have forgotten heat shrink before soldering more times than I care to admitā€¦

2 Likes

Guys I know Iā€™m repeating myself but I can not stress this enough. My rookie mistake : Rolling down a hill it is easy to exceed the speed that your board is designed to run on its own. It can then easily happen that your vesc is unable to measure the motor rotation. This will turn your brake lever into a death trap! When slightly touching the brakes, the motor wires are shorted which will pull the board out from under your feet with max brakes. Possible solutions until now: always go downhill slowly or hold full throttle the whole time. This will limit your speed to your boards max speed. Sadly the vesc firmware developers donā€™t seem too phased about this issue so it is important that this gets to be common knowledge so this doesnā€™t cause any more harm.

4 Likes

Had this very thing happen to me yesterday with my maytech remote and the board just coasted thankfully.

1 Like

The Mini Remote will start having ā€œmicro cut-outsā€ for like a few hundred milliseconds each and they will get more frequent and longer over about a half hour until itā€™s essentially unusable. It will get you homeā€¦

2 Likes

The maytech mini? mine cut out completely and I had to turn it back on then it gave me about a minute before going again, did that three times and yes got me home.

Just regular old machine bolts and nuts. I will use washers next time and probably nyloc nuts too, or some loctite.

1 Like

This thing.

0ebe68aa-9f6d-45a7-a627-0a91586a9900

This is mine image and Iā€™ve got to say it is the best Iā€™ve used so far the reason it went dead on me is it lasts absolutely ages and I didnā€™t read the instructions regarding the warning lights etc :roll_eyes:

Does your remote have the the steering channel active?

1 Like

Yes, the steering channel is active. The battery does last AGES but it takes 2 AA (non-rechargeable). But using it every day for about an hour, it lasts months and months and months. Also I have modified another one to be rechargable li-ion

5 Likes

Might look at getting one of those for my 4wd and set it up with cruise control