Rocket Freeflow and Rocket Dual

Yeah, I mounted freebord bindings on one of my setups.

I’ll be interested in seeing that setup, did you use all existing components?

I did use the existing components. Unfortunately I have reversed the set up back to normal, with the motor sitting slightly lower just to see if the board rub stops. I’m waiting for the 280mm belts to come in, hopefully those let the motor sit high enough on the mount for a proper rear mounting. The belts are too short to have it move high up enough. Another issue I had was the motor ever so slightly hit the kingpin bolt. I tried move the mounts further outward on the truck but with no luck. The circular bracket that the mount is bolted to won’t move even after removing every possible screw from it. When I get the longer belts in, I’ll take a picture of everything and post it up here for everyone to see :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was looking at that kingpin bolt and thought about clearance. I’ve been researching either a drop bracket or using a tkp truck in the rear. Obviously that will require a new mounting system. I may just gut this board and use a different deck. This deck needs either carvon’s hub drives or some other hub drive utilizing wider trucks.

So it looks like somebody else received their board. The pictures look sick! https://www.reddit.com/r/ElectricSkateboarding/comments/5xvt39/got_my_torqueboard/

2 Likes

The board definitely looks amazing but after riding it a bit some of the design flaws emerge. I think everything is fixable with either a deck redesign or truck and motor reconfiguration. I know I will either be tweaking the board as aforementioned or gutting it and making two different boards.

@Gizmo Well I was thinking, if I didn’t like the deck I would mount everything to a loaded cantellated tesseract board or just the normal tesseract and get an enclosure for the batteries.

1 Like

Yea I second that @gizmo. The ride height and the mounts scraping the board. Those are the things I’m working on to make the board perfect.

2 Likes

Ill take the deck if you are going to swap, how much do you want for it?

I haven’t decided what I want to do yet.

From your facebook post of you torque rocket. I see you put a lid on the hole? Mind telling me what you did/put?

I used 8 mil clear vinyl and temporary weatherproofing latex caulk. The rocker switch sticks out so I created a slight bubble in the vinyl. The only hole in the vinyl is the power port. I opened the hatch and applied the caulk underneath to act as a glue for the vinyl sheet. I also applied a thin layer of sealant at the edges of the hatch for extra waterproofing. After replacing the hatch and cutting the hole I applied a second layer of caulk to the edges of the window and the power port with my finger working the sealant into any openings. The caulk applied white but dries clear. It isn’t very pretty upon closer inspection but does the job. Also, with the hatch open I dumped a bunch of sealant (which expands) into the opening where the wires enter the electronics housing. I chose to use seal-n-peel temporary due to the fact that I may want to reconfigure the board in the future or just make the mod cleaner looking.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks for the idea! May end up doing that when i get my freeflow ! :slight_smile:

@torqueboards can the Rocket dual be run in foc mode? I don’t have any experience using the bldc tool, so if so how does one do this?

I remember reading that someone asked for the Rocket dual to be shipped with FOC mode enabled and the recipient was obliged. How you configure FOC mode, i don’t know.

Someone who received the freeflow already made a video about it :slight_smile:

FOC mode is hella quiet from the video!

Also, Dexter has a few videos on his youtube on how to configure the Vesc. Here is the FOC one.

4 Likes

what does foc mode do?

I thought this post described it pretty well

2 Likes

FreeFlow is pre-configured in FOC. Dual is pre-configured in BLDC although you can use FOC/Sensored. I like the Dual BLDC mode a bit better but FOC/Sensored is pretty awesome in itself once you try it.

Thanks for all the feedback for those whom shared their feedback. I’ll be definitely looking into it.

Waiting to test the longer trucks which would be a nice benefit for those who have the Dual… I’ll check to see perhaps we can use an adapter which allows us to mount the Hub Motors on it too which will be nice.

2 Likes

As much as I like the torque with the dual I’m feeling like this particular deck wants hub motors mounted on some nice wide trucks. The deck could be lowered and the motor mounts grinding the deck would no longer be an issue.

1 Like