Rocket Freeflow and Rocket Dual

I’ll be getting my dual tomorrow (fingers crossed). I’m curious to see if I get the same issues with the motor mounts rubbing the deck. Thank you guys for your updates and solutions to any problems that arise. I’ll try to post my findings after I’ve had a few solid hours with the board.

Cheers guys!

I’m excited!! :metal:

1 Like

I just ordered 98a (hard) bushings to replace the stock ones and will be changing the motor mount angle slightly. I’m considering flipping the motors and mounting them on the back. The damage to the deck due to the mounts is really starting to bother me.

1 Like

Hey @Gizmo! Thanks for posting your possible solutions. Have you or @itsgreekpete tried adding an 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2 in riser to the board to see if that helps any? I know most people want the board as low as possible so maybe you guys don’t want to raise it up a bit.

The motor mounts scratching the deck would not do for me either. We will have to find a solution… I noticed you are going hard with the bushings… yikes!! I am only 130 lbs and I usually ride bushings that are around 80a or even softer. I almost always have to swap bushings on anything I ride. I can’t imagine putting hard bushings in there to solve the problem. That seems like it would kill the “feel” of the board and make it so carving is not enjoyable. Please let me know how it goes for you! Basically if I’m understanding correctly, if I like my trucks set up loose to carve, then I’m definitely going to get some damage to my board from the mounts rubbing?? Sounds like that’s the case.

Thanks again guys and Dexter @torqueboards for trying to find solutions. You rock!! :metal:

I’m sure we’ll figure this out.

1 Like

May I suggest throwing some tape down under the mounts in the mean time?

1 Like

The board itself is pretty tall already, and putting risers on it to make it even taller wouldn’t be ideal, at least for me. Mounting the motors on the back would solve both the deck run, and allow the board to be dropped. A win/win scenario.

1 Like

why not dremel out the deck where the motor mounts are rubbing?

Alright! My dual arrived. Looks nice but I won’t dare ride this thing with its current setup :face_with_head_bandage: Besides the back motor mounts touching the deck when you lean on it, the worse issue is the front wheels biting the board. I weigh 130 lbs. I’m a skinny s**t… and if I can barely lean on the board before the front wheels touch the deck then there is a big problem.

The immediate solution would be an extra 1/2" maybe even 9/16" risers… but that would make this the tallest eboard I’ve ever stepped foot on and would compromise any stability at speed. @torqueboards hi Dexter, are your test riders lighter than me? I don’t know how anyone who weighs more than 100lbs could ride this board without getting wheel bite. Please let me know in a PM or in this thread what your idea is to make this board rideable.

To change bushings and tighten trucks is obvious, but then you won’t have a fun board to ride anymore. I’ll let some of my eskate friends see the board this evening and see if we can come up with some ideas.

Cheers guys!

Unfortunately, since it’s a CF deck, you would pretty much destroy it with a dremel… at least aesthetically.

@DaviDjembe - Are you leaning on it non-riding or riding? Typically, non-riding you lean more than if your actually riding. I’m 180 and have no wheelbite. 1/2" more riser seems too much. You can adjust the motor mount to face slightly lower which will fix the motor mount from hitting the deck.

1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply, man. I wasn’t riding at speed I was just standing on it to test it out. But I know bite when I see it. I like to carve and I know I don’t have enough clearance here. Locking down the trucks and replacing the bushings is fine if you want to go straight and fast. But that’s only half the fun :slight_smile: I’ll spend some time tonight and I’ll see what I can come up with. Cheers

Yeah, very true…I’ll see what I can do too. The longer trucks should help.

1 Like

@torqueboards, the wheels that shipped are 90mm right? Do you think downsizing to 83 mm Abecs would help the board clearance/wheel bite? I have some… I could try that. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

lol that’s me who made the video

3 Likes

The mount rub isn’t what the issue is exactly. The issue is board height and now being able to drop the board due to the rubbing.

Can that square piece of carbon fiber that’s bolted to the rear truck be removed ?

Is a 9mm belt ok to use instead of 12?

Good morning guys… it was a long hard journey in the workshop last night trying to get my dual Rocket goin. I finally did it and I am somewhat pleased with the result.

Long story short I got my board to be rideable after numerous bushing swaps, truck adjustments and most importantly… Risers. I had to add an additional 1/4" (at least) so I didn’t get wheel bite in the front when I turn the board while carving. The problem with the motor mounts touching the deck could not be solved without raising the trucks further off the deck. At least I couldn’t find a solution. The amount of clearance needed so the motor mounts don’t hit the deck was much more than I could squeeze out by simply adjusting the height of the mounts. I’ll post updates and pictures for anyone who cares what I did to get my dual rocket safe and rideable :call_me_hand:

My board rides tall now, it’s not low to the ground by any means. But at least now I can carve the hell out of it and not get wheel bite. I was still able to maintain stability at 25 mph. I’ve not tried to go faster than that yet :sweat_smile:

Cheers guys, I hope you get your Rockets up and running! If you can do it without adding risers… please let me know how you did it! Haha

On a different note… the electronics, VESC settings, hardware and fit and finish are impeccable on the Rocket! The acceleration curve is insanely smooth and the breaking is exactly where it should be. Unfortunately it took me forever to realize how well this board performs because I couldn’t even stand on the thing without the wheels hitting the underside of the deck. Risers guys… risers lol

1 Like

@itsgreekpete yeah, you can take the CF riser off the back truck for sure. I had the trucks off last night trying to get my setup right and noticed it’s just an extended riser to make it so you can set your board down and not scratch it.

Having said that, if you take the back riser out you’re gonna be screwed on motor mount/board clearance! I had to add additional 1/4" riser to front and back so I could turn without getting pitched off from wheel bite. Good luck man!

Hey guys…

I was testing out a bunch of options to try and shorten the ride height of the setup. At the end of the day though, personally I valued a shorter board by 3" versus 20mm in height. That’s particularly the reason why this setup is slightly higher but personally… I don’t notice it too much.

I also tested w/ the longer trucks which I’ll have available but the height seemed to only be about 20mm difference which is about .75" to 1".

You can see the difference in this photo here. LEFT - Current setup. RIGHT - w/ new longer trucks.

So if you wanted to mount on a rear mount it would be about the same height as the right side photo.

Here’s a few photos with the longer trucks. They’re huge lol

Conclusion But yeah… I don’t think there’s not too much we can do for the height.

We would want a different style which would result in a a 36-37" deck.

I do want to release another deck in the near future. Could be another option.

Anyhow, looking forward to hear everyone’s opinions.

@itsgreekpete - Yeah, you can remove the carbon fiber but be careful not to put your board on the end otherwise you’ll scratch up the Carbon Fiber.

You can use 9mm belts if you want.

1 Like

Do you have your stock of long trucks in stock now? :smiley: