Raptor 2 Custom hanger for better cooling

maybe forget the attempt at a good physical contact between the motor’s blue aluminum and the hanger and instead design the hanger so the phase wires go through it and transfer the heat that way. Surely they will be hotter than the blue aluminum, which has it’s heat largely from that transferred from the wire, to the stator, and then finally to the blue aluminum, and then the attempt to get it to the hanger

3 holes on each side of the hanger that the wires would go through, but its hard to find an electrical insulator but good thermal conductor that would be between the wires and hanger. It’s hard to find a material that is both. And this would make the design more reliable as those wires break.

i tired thermally conductive silicone to make wires but its much weaker than typical and not that great a thermal conductor anyway.
a super thin insulator maybe and then how to get the wire in and so tight as to be making the best physical contact. i dont think just routing multistrand wires through a hole will be good. the thermally conductive silicone wouldve been ideal in filling all the spaces between the wire and hanger. trying to get a solid wire in there with the thin insulator might be good if there is a really tough electrical insulator could be painted thinly in the holes and the solid thick copper were pushed through tightly. i think finding that electrical insulator and thermal conductor and how it works would decide the design.

1 Like

Big brother :smiley:

11 Likes

If you make holes won’t it cool better ? Isn’t that why enertion made holes on there’s ?

2 Likes

idkn. when I have it on my evo it’s at such an angle that there is low air flow through those holes. I’ve thought about making it but it’s though to get it at an good angle.

@Blacksheep, Enertion, like any other ambitious company, doesn’t make holes on things to cool things down, they make holes on things to save weight… and save Moneyyyy!! :money_with_wings:

You are the Big Brothaaa @Minim. :yum::+1:

I have a big brother too. :slight_smile:

@Minim Got to test fit on the stock R2 before I left. Looks like I’ll be able to test in the next couple days. This thing is super beefy. I like it.

IMG_20180724_165601IMG_20180724_165644

6 Likes

Looks like it fit the baseplate :smiley: Can’t wait to see if it helps on the heat for you and how it rides.

Gonna complete my wide truck tomorrow and check that out if the weather allows for it. I have an issue with my CAM software that makes the cutting path for the hanger. It crashed two times and made ugly marks in this hanger and this doesn’t show in simulation. When I did a similar op on the other side it crashed on the exact same spots. Will speak to Autodesk tomorrow and try to sort it out before I break anything. Scary shit when simulation is buggy like that especially when a crash can easy cost the same as a decent second hand car.

1 Like

I can’t wait to throw it on the rear and go test between stock and custom to see what the differences end up to be. I might get back Thursday. If not. Saturday and Sunday will be result time. I’ll take a bunch of footage too.

P.S- Definitely don’t screw your machine. That would be a bummer!!!

@Minim

This is the custom 220mm, no? You make them 240mm and I’m in.

Yes this will go with a 220mm wide front.

This looks dope. My board comes soon so deffo in for these if it helps

1 Like

Completed the wide version today even if I had some crashes and funny toolpaths on this one. Atleast I didn’t ruin a mill or anything other when it happend. For CNC geeks like me the reason for the crash is that on Fanuc controls if you do small arc moves it can misunderstand the command and do a full circle of that arc instead of just 0.02mm. Increased minimum arc lenght to 0.1mm now and crossing my fingers. First time I’ve seen this… I’ve marked the crashes in one of the pictures. Pivot pin also got a weird mark…

I think I will go down on the width tbh. Maybe back to stock or something inbetween at equivalent of a 200mm wide one.

IMG_3510IMG_3511

Slight improvement in contact area towards the motor :o IMG_3513

10 Likes

Insane how fast you’re cranking these out. Much respect!

2 Likes

today the thermistors arrived. It looks like its not going to be possible to mount it inside the motor in any easy way so I will try to epoxy it to the alu on the outside of the motor instead. The idea is to compare results anyways so it doesn’t matter if it’s not “core” temp. Anyone else fitted sensors to this?

what sensor you find? be nice if it could fit between teeth on the stator against the copper. http://thesensorconnection.com/thermocouples/all-thermocouples/radiator-core-tube-surface-temperature-thermocouple-copper-pad?st-t=adwords&vt-k=&vt-mt=&vt-ap=1o1&gclid=CjwKCAjwhevaBRApEiwA7aT53zmRGGOefweFRJ_E6HlhA73mtsNY4gmAr7rHMAycyqqybEdSvTmD0hoCNqAQAvD_BwE

I just bought a generic 10k from ebay. haven’t tested it yet tho but I will get on it now. Is it worth the PITA it is to remove the old silicone/sealant and try to get a new wire inside the motor? I mean… I’m just going to use it as a reference on how good/bad the hangar is.

I did some really steep hills today that required max throttle for 30secs (60amp continuous) and after a few times up the hill the whole hanger and the motor is again almost to hot to touch… Ambient today was 32degres celcius in the shadow and I was testing in the sun on black new asphalt so might not have been the best day to test. This was not with the wide hanger that I just made tho. Def need these sensors to get proper testing since it’s impossible to gauge it and with so many variables changing all the time…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Thermistor-Temperature-Sensor-NTC-MF52-103-3435-10K-ohm-1-BBIYK/183258289623?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

2 Likes

It would fit at that location…

2 Likes

if its not that hard to get it there i imagine that would be the most revealing spot. nice small one. and those can hook up to the vesc too? be nice if you could have a current reduction program if you hit some temp.

@Minim

Do you already have the new axle width? I’m still very much interested.

Hows your experience with the 220 width vs the stock width?