Raptor 2 Custom hanger for better cooling

Nope. Have no info about the new ones. I know they are bigger thats it :smiley: I contacted a supplier to check if they had something similar but I only found a M10 equivalent for $85 for 20 pieces and they where not 12.9 ratedā€¦ No clue where to look nowā€¦ No biggie to have them made but that would be expensive unless I order a load of themā€¦

Didnā€™t have time to test the 220 wide yet as itā€™s pouring down outside and when it doesnā€™t rain I work :frowning:

@Minim do you have any ugly mistakes that still function that you can let go for cheap? Injuries have calmed, and Iā€™ve started riding the R2. HOT HANGER!

Maybe if I start using the wide one :stuck_out_tongue: do you have 8mm axles or bigger?

Hmmmm not so easy to tell! The threaded part of the axle is 8mm. The square shoulders on the truck onto which the motors interface is 12mm. I didnā€™t want to pull all the hotglued wiring apart to disassemble further.

IMG_20180809_230407

Does that help at all?

My board is from the late june batch.

If people are going all out with this I would suggest to use a heatpipe for extracting more heat from the mount ā€¦ or hub, or direct driveā€¦ can be adapted for anything really. The pipes could be secured from top with some plates, but not covering the whole surface, to leave at least some copper space in contact with the airflow.

I drew a quick mockup for the more visual folks: edit: I realize it would be better to have the condensation end running along the slanted side of the hanger, but somehow the heatpipe diagram i saw was showing to use the condensation end in a lower position (height-wise) for some reason, even if it would make more sense to do otherwise, ya know, evaporate rises- condenses - gravity helps to drive it to the hot end. Maybe it was shown the opposite just to demonstrate how the commercial heatpipes use a porous material in the inner surface that can help transport the coolant against gravity. Ok I am rambling now. stop it, me. Anyways, the heatpipe can be even made diy style and run the coolside on the slanted end of the hanger. Its all good. Proto1 proto11

5 Likes

Oh so the part sticking out is actually 8mm stillā€¦ Hmm would need to know the threads inside to be able to make something for the new ones :frowning: Itā€™s no biggie to swap for a M10x1.5 or whatever they made there but need to know exact thread dimensions to make it work. The square is 11.9x something from memory on the old one so then they didnā€™t change that at least.

Hey.

Did you ever end up making these a reality? Iā€™d be interested in some of the wide ones.

Iā€™m also trying to find some bearings as a replacement for my Raptor 2. Do you have any leads for the large/main bearings? Thanks.

No it kinda stopped since enertion changed to 10mm and I donā€™t have a 10mm axle to testfit withā€¦ I have made a wide hanger but that only works if you have the old 8mm axle.

The bearings is 6810 (big 50x65x7) and 6902 (small 15x28x7) for the motor. I use 2RS but they where delivered with low friction seal. 2RS doesnā€™t have enough friction to make a problem for these motors and they will seal better so I went with that. Make sure they didnā€™t change the bearings also ^^

2 Likes

Got the motors unmounted enough to measure. 10mm axles.

Hey. Iā€™ve had my Raptor since April so Iā€™m Hoping that I have the 8mm axles. Iā€™ll be measuring once Iā€™m doing fall maintenance in another week or two. If I do have the 8mms, Iā€™d be very interested in these wider trucks. :v:

Iā€™ll keep you posted.

I never tried my wider truck actually but itā€™s for sale if anyone want it ^^ Since I have no way of testing the 10mm axles/motors I havenā€™t made one for the newer models.

1 Like

would love to get one for my R2 and ride daily so can heavily test the shit out of it. You still doing this hopefully?

And if you can make it I would be happy to compensate and test the 10mm axel for you and the community. I have the new R2 I just got in the mail a week or two ago. Also have an older one as well if you want any side by side test done between the 10/8 mm axelsā€¦ really want to get the wider version you have though for my new one if and when you hopefully make someā€¦ lmk. TY for your hard work.

Received my board yesterday. Iā€™m interested in 10 mm!

I just fear it will be a lot of trial and error to make it properly without having the motor to see how it needs to be changed in design compared to the 8mm version. Now enertion released a 15mm axel also so it might be a lot of work for nothing when the new ones comes around.

Yeah, I totally understand. I guess Iā€™ll just mount a cpu fan onto it. Cuz damnnnnn that babyā€™s radiate so much heat I canā€™t even remotely touch the hanger anymore.

I got my raptor 2 finally as well. If you need another tester let me know!

Great work so far man!

Anyone planning to do a wider hanger for the current hubs version?

1 Like

Iā€™m 100% in for 240mm or 220mm for the 2.1, whatever the widest you decide to go with.

1 Like

Yo @Hummie Here it be