Proton- Digital Instrument and Control Panel Touch Screen

USB charging port? On/off switch? Battery charger port? :smile:. :smile: :smile:

@uigiroux USB charging port will be available. Regarding battery charger port and On/Off switch it will be hard to fit those on the device, they are more BMS related. Maybe a case mod for those interested. Pricing: An approximate price will be posted in about a week.

Thatā€™s great, thanks so much for implementing the USB port, I think thatā€™ll be a great addition to the unit! Definitely put me down for one :smile:

Almost there, I will try to finilize the design tonight and approximate the production cost.

8 Likes

Another question. I had been planning on getting a Bluetooth set like the metre pro for telemetry on my phone. Would this provide the same things, thus making the need for a Bluetooth module obsolete, in a sense? Cause if they both do the same thing, Iā€™d rather have this, then have to get the Bluetooth module and then always have a smart phone with me to be able to use itā€¦

Any updatesā€¦?

1 Like

@Wajdi Anything new? :smiley:

I have been working on implementing a built in DC DC buck converter to easily and efficiently step down battery voltage, offer a high current power source for LEDs and to power the USB charger. It should handle an input range up to 55V and output both 12v and 5v rails.

I have been debating whether to have this built in or just leave it as an external component for everyone to use their own.

7 Likes

Iā€™d definitely prefer it built in personally.

Would leaving it external mean having it wired up, but not mounted on the Proton, so we could use the USB ports from in the enclosure and mount it where we want? That would also be niceā€¦ Any way to do both?

2 Likes

The external component would be great.

Everything will be the same except the buck converter module will be external.

Upon further thinkering, I think leaving it as an external module is better because it will be easier to replace it in case it blows up instead of loosing the whole control panel. They also tend to get very hot under load, especially when using high voltages like 10 and 12s. It will also makes it easy to upgrade it in case more power is needed.

4 Likes

Ok yeah thatā€™s certainly a smarter way to do it. So then it would have those external and we would basically run them into our enclosure to mount, correct?

Yes thatā€™s correct, the buck converter can be placed inside the enclosure to save space.

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to finalize the hardware as much as possible to give an accurate estimate, at the same time finding ways to keep the production cost at a minimum. I should have an estimate in the next 48 hours.

5 Likes

Updated renderings with USB chargers. 47%20PM 57%20PM54%20PM17%20PM15%20PM

Buck converter module will be an additional add-on, it is only needed if you want to use the USB chargers and drive LEDs, otherwise, the control panel can be fully powered using the UART cable.

Estimated production price will be based on how big is the batch. Coming up soon.

9 Likes

Dude that looks amazing! Will there be water proof covers for the USB chargers? Or just covers in general thatā€™ll fit flush against the instrument panel?

I noticed on the top left there is a large empty area next to the display. Will there be buttons or something there? Otherwise wouldnā€™t the display be centered? Canā€™t wait for more info on this :heart_eyes:

Also, where do the wires that will run to the vesc or battery come out from? The bottom would be ideal for easy concealment.

I know you didnā€™t want to make this have a on/off button and charger port, but would it be possible to create a case for this that is a bit extended and empty so we could put our own on /off button and charger port in the module without having to put another thing on the other side of the board. That way this could be truly a all in one device.

@uigiroux Thanks! I think it should be easy to make it water resistant using USB covers, and put some sort of a rubber seal at contact area with the deck.

About the display offset, thats because of the dimensions of the screen GVXXXXXuapXXq6xXFXXXy

Wires will run through a bottom tunnel.

2 Likes

Can you give a detailed description of all this will be able to do again please?

I believe most of it is in the first post. He just updated it four days ago. Letā€™s let him work.

1 Like

I know the original functions were listed in the first post, but as there has been quite a few new features and developments, I was wondering if there was new features or ones that may not have been listed originally. :slight_smile: