Proton- Digital Instrument and Control Panel Touch Screen

This is on what I am working myself, but instead of writing hardcore data logging on small MCU I will run fully fledged data collection/aggregation system on normal platform with correct tools for the job :slight_smile: Because to implement all of this on embedded MCU is a bit painful.

I like the idea of this product, I would suggest to use OLED screen as it would be better with readability and viewing angles :stuck_out_tongue:

Why don’t you just write an iOS or android app that takes this information over Bluetooth? There are apps that show real time information already, why don’t you just make an app that takes that same information and store it?

Cause that means you always have to have your phone with you on every ride (The VESChas a limit t how many writes can be stored on its EEPROM, ) , It wouldn’t be lifetime stats per day, but the culmination of everytime you remembered to record your ride or take your phone with you.

Since his thing is always going to be on your Board AND it’s conencted directly to the UART. Its In the position to act as a lifetime Odometer/Stat holder in addition to its duties. Sure you can make the VESC do It, but again , it has a limit to how many writes it can do to its EEPROM.

1 Like

@Jc06505n I agree, the display has an SD card slot already integrated. We can use it to store lifetime information on the board, and perhaps do a lot more things with it.

2 Likes

I would have thought that most people carry a phone with them all the time :man_shrugging:t2:

Awesome! Make this think Waterproof (or a case for it) and it’s a sure buy

Even then I forget to turn in a tracking app or I’m too much in a hurry to. Such a feature would bypass any mistakes like that.

Biggest problem with doing any sort of remote is having the hardware certified to sell it legally in the US and around Europe. The rules are strange in the US basically any intentional radiator and from what I gather basically anything with an inductor has to be fcc certified which is at least $10k from what I’ve read, which basically restricts it to mass production to dilute that cost. The plastic housing can be made at scale (10k units) for $2-3 a piece with injection molding but again big up front cost of getting the master mold made by someone who knows how to design those for injection molding. Best idea I could come up with to make this at all feasible for our relatively small market is doing kits with some assembly required and links to known good vendors for getting the radios (in the US at least you can make up to 5 devices for testing I believe, adafruit has a write up on legality with radios). Probably 3d printing the cases either in house or using 3d print services to avoid mold making costs.

Also looks nice regarding the OP, would be curious how the screen holds up over the longer term. Have seen some TFT displays on desk phones that get terrible over time but I’m unsure the root cause of that (maybe just crappy screens)

If possible You may wish to consider making it easy to replace just the screen. A replacment screen as a product also might be a good idea.

I can understand not claiming “waterproof” or adding that expense. One has to be careful on any “waterproof” claims as doing so can be a major legal issue in some countries when it comes to product claims.

I know we discussed this before, but have you thought about adding active GPS where it shows directions that it gets from your phone? Also, will this have a power on button, so we wouldn’t need to add one on the side? Just like how this will make a voltage meter not needed anymore, it’d be great if we could also get rid of the on / off button / switch. That’d be great if we didn’t have to think about installing any of those things anymore and could just do it all with this. Also, any chance you could incorporate a USB charge port, or 2?

With this will we not need a Bluetooth transmitter like meter since it shows the same telemetry via the UART cable?

This kind-of seems pointless. Most people will be buying the new Bluetooth modules anyway as you can use them with the vesc tool. Good idea but if your board has Bluetooth already then you might as well use the integrated chip in the phone. I can see this being really useful for telemetry and battery monitoring but I already have that with my photo remote :stuck_out_tongue:

My goal is to use this a “Main Control” unit of the board. It’ll allow me to record data whenever I ride and switch modes with ease. Wonder if I.T would be possible to implement a “lock down mode”. Makes it so if I choose, Upon the next start up , a password has to be put it and if incorrect a # of times , the motors are locked up and unridable unless the right password is put in. Won’t stop a thief from taking It but It Sure as hell make it less valuable to them

@uigiroux Adding a USB charging port is possible. I think it will make a great addition to this control panel.

I have looked into turn by turn navigation, but its not easy to implement. It will still require a smartphone phone to calculate navigation, and then we need to somehow send directions over bluetooth to the control display. I couldn’t find an API from google maps that allows this.

I’m still thinking about a smart turn on/off system PS4 style. Nothing official yet tho.

@Jc06505n Implementing a password lock is easy, but I don’t think it will have any security weight as is. To properly lock it we would need to somehow lock the firmware on the VESC. But even that can be bypassed by reflashing it. Sure it will make it harder, but still bypassable.

1 Like

It’s possible but maybe no API as you say https://github.com/komoot/BLEConnect image

It would kickass that’s for sure

Maybes

@JTAG is using the 5v rail of the VESC to turn on the BMS and ergo the esk8. When you turn the motor manually it creates the current, which in turn can be used to turn something on - like the main battery

2 Likes

Awesome! That would be great to have that on there. One thing I also just thought of. This thing with a USB charging port and possibly being able to turn it on from there kinda makes this like an all in one solution to everything you could add to a board, but I was just thinking, would it also be possible to add a charging port, for the battery, maybe next to the USB charging port? That would literally make this an all in one solution, and be the only thing one would need to hook up to operate every aspect of the board! On/off control, battery charging power, and USB charging port, along with display that shows all telemetry and battery status, this would be perfect!! :heart_eyes:

Longboard_2018-Jun-20_05-40-36AM-000_CustomizedView9780571581

Almost done finishing LED control settings

• Different effect modes will be available.
  • Color picker

Longboard_2018-Jun-20_05-40-36AM-000_CustomizedView9780571581

Endless ride or push assist implementation, I posted a while back on some other thread.

• “Assist.” Controls how long the power assist will last in seconds. Default to 30 sec.
  • “Threshold” Controls the activation threshold, after pushing and reaching this speed, power assist will kick in.
  • “Deceleration” This controls the rate at which the deceleration decay happens. For example at 30 rotations per seconds as the mellow boards have it implemented.

Development and testing are almost done, I will be finalizing project files for manufacturing soon. I anticipate to start pre-orders by Mid July, and start fulfilling orders by August.

9 Likes

Annnnd now I want one…

How does wiring work in regards to the cable such as length? I can see it working with the tunnel risers by drilling a hole in the middle of the truck holes and routing it to the enclosure.

Just tell me a price and I’ll most likely be buying 2 or 3. This is going to be awesome! Thanks @Wajdi for the cool shit you’ve been bringing to the table here.

1 Like