Please review my battery pack so I don't make a šŸ”„

The nickel is 12mm x 0.15mm so I thought that would be ample for the size of the pack? 1 strip should be good for 40A or am I way off?

Batteries looking good, Nickel should be enoughā€¦ I bought some 15mm wide 0.2mm thick nickel.

Yet to put my DIY welder together.

I will be using one of these butane soldering ironsIMG_20181215_161146

Yes this is acceptable.

I hope you dont plan on using that for battery welding. In my experience, they donā€™t get hot enough for that application. You have to leave it on the battery for too long. But thatā€™s just my personal opinion on it.

Iā€™ve got a butane soldering iron, not this model though. I donā€™t find it anywhere near hot enough for this though. I use the exhaust outlet for heat shrink!

1 Like

Sorry, I meant bottleneck in the abstract technical sense, as in the copper braid is likely many times less resistance than the nickel. I think in real life, youā€™re likely fine.

But in the technical sense, 12mm x 0.15mm nickel strip is good for about 8.5a, and gets warm at about 13 amps, quickly getting hot hot hot above that.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68005

That table on the first post looks very conservative, but several people have run experiments and verified. Thereā€™s some assumptions about total length of nickel strip for the whole pack, that Iā€™m ignoring to keep it short. :slight_smile:

I got the 8.5a and 13a, by taking the Pure Nickel 7mm x .3mm line, which has good at 10a and acceptable at 15a. cross sectional area is 7x.3=2.1mm^2.

For good,10a/2.1mm^2 = 4.76a/mm^2. For acceptable, 15a/2.1mm^2 = 7.14a/mm^2.

Your strip,12mm x 0.15mm is 1.8mm^2. Good is 4.76 x 1.8 = 8.57a. Acceptable is 7.14 x 1.8 = 12.85a.

If youā€™re using 1 strip per cell for series connections, for 30q, youā€™re actually pretty close to the manufacturer spec of 15a continuous.

On a side note, I love this thread, thanks @SimosMCmuffin

3 Likes

Interesting stuff, so would it be fair to say that 40 amps on one of these strips would be like a fuse?! These are 20700 cells.

Oh oops. From what Iā€™ve read, which unfortunately is a LOT, brief bursts should be okay. Like maybe 1 second bursts. More than that, things will be getting pretty hot, so youā€™ll go through a lot of heat/cool cycles. Most setups donā€™t really pull huge amps for more than a second or two.

But Iā€™ve also read about people like @Deckoz running really tiny strips for huge packs, showing telemetry for huge amps, and no ill effects.

Since your pack is already built, maybe get one of those $5 thermocouple probe things, and see how hot the nickel actually gets. Something like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/TM-902C-LCD-K-Type-Thermometer-Meter-Single-Input-Thermocouple-Probe-Da/153231302597?hash=item23ad4c1fc5:g:QOUAAOSwcWpbfmul:rk:29:pf:0

EDIT I donā€™t think theyā€™ll burn off like a fuse!

I was comparing it to how a space cell was built with 1 strip per cell in the series connections and those strips are 8mm x 0.1mm?

current space cell 10s4p 30q is a 60a pack with 60a fuse and xt60? R2 is also set up with 30 battery amps per focbox. So 15a/cell.

I know I read the specs on nickel for the current raptorā€™s 10s4p packs, but canā€™t remember the detailsā€¦ I think it was more than 8x.1 though.

Very few eskate packs meet the standards in that ES table. Based on math and physics I believe those strips get hot (itā€™s hard to measure this with the pack being sealed into the enclosure) but based on chatter in this forum I think the packs hold up for the most part.

I did a few A123 builds which are 1 or 2 parallel cells with huge amps. I stare at my spot welder and piles of nickel strip, and scratch my head. Then I end up putting copper in all series connections.

1 Like

image Almost there.

8 Likes

Iā€™d say hats off to you for:

-isolating P groups -not crossing balance wires -labeling your series contacts

I would use shrink wrap instead of entirely kapton tape. Definitely use tape to tie down the balance wires, but youā€™d be much better off using a thick heat shrink over the entire pack.

4 Likes

image Here you go.

7 Likes

Job Done you made it look easy :grin:

2 Likes

I have a single 0.15mm nickel strip on my new pack in MOST places on the pack. My new BMS has two temp sensors that I placed as close to the nickel strips a possible in places I thought would see the most current.

During my testing, the nickel strips havenā€™t even heated up more than a degree or two past ambient temperature. I think itā€™s fine in almost all cases(based on my testing so far). I also do not have any braided wire or anything else on the series connections.

I always suggest people double or tripple up if possible though, because everyoneā€™s riding style is different. I mean, for all i know the person making the pack is going to compete in the uphill race and dump their entire packs capacity in 5 minutes.

EDIT: Battery inf: 10s5p 30Q, dual foc boxā€™s set to 40A each for 80A total. Ivā€™e done a few runs at 50A each box and it yielded similar results.

4 Likes

What type of glue do you guys use to glue your packs. Iā€™m looking into building my first li-ion pack and will be using cell level fusing as I donā€™t have a spot welder. I heard silicone works, but is there a certain type I need?

1 Like

Iā€™ve only built a lot of shitty packs with recycled cells. I use standard hot glue personally but if I were building a new pack from scratch, Iā€™d use E6000. Curious what others use as well.

The correct answer is natural cure silicon type 2+. Most everyone uses hot glue though.

2 Likes

Neutral cure? Something about acids and solvents not present?

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Silicone-Window-Caulk-GE5000/dp/B0000CBJ7W/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1545759551&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ge+silicone+2+%2B&dpPl=1&dpID=41BCPuzZr0L&ref=plSrch

2 Likes