Please review my battery pack so I don't make a šŸ”„

This is a battery thread so Iā€™ve got a question regarding them:

If you have a top mount box, would you consider it worth your time to drill through to have the charging port on the outside, or just crack open the lid and snake the plug in?

If itā€™s on an emtb, would that change your answer?

Iā€™d just leave it inside. That way itā€™s better sealed against water. Well that is if the box is water proof

1 Like

if itĀ“s an easy thing to open the box, than just let it inside. in case you use a 8-10a charger (i donĀ“t reccomend that, but in case you do), you also can just use a xt60 as charge connector without worring about how to get it sealed right. just take it out, plug it in, and you good to go.

1 Like

I built another pack. There might be some useful images for others, or someone may be able to add suggestions. IMG_6065 385E2ACE-8DB2-4887-9981-CB65FFD1DA45 DE8C90CF-9A06-494E-A291-3258195F35F7 IMG_6103 IMG_6115 IMG_6104 IMG_6113 A1E1D277-2A92-42BF-AD8B-2E5D9F4BCB67 Uploadingā€¦

14 Likes

I like the caulk gun.

I bought a roll of I think 25mm wide nickel strip for doublestack or foldover, thinking less points of failure and more current handling.

Can also fold over the top of singlestack p groups, ending up like a pcb pack. Ah I have a partial photo (board is perpetually unfinishedā€¦)

IMG_20181225_225356

3 Likes

I like it. Many ways to skin a cat!

1 Like

IMG_20181225_225356 Iā€™m guessing here is the point where thereā€™s super fish paper insulation?

2 Likes

Thereā€™s actually fish paper running under the balance wires. You can kind of see it near the top when the wires take a right turn. Segmented and overlapping (for flex). And the blue square at the top, I printed little wire combs and hotglued onto the fish paper to keep all the wires running clean, and to give a little protection to the wires.

The series joint at the bottom is connected with XT150, giving me the option of using a hobby charger to balance charge or health check each of the 2 sides separately (with a balance lead splitter).

But dammit, the 2 subpacks are joined permanently by one of the balance wires, so canā€™t balance charge both subpacks at the same time.

Normally Iā€™d put a dedicated hobby charger compatible JST on each subpack (7 cell for the left, 6 cell for the right) and make a harness to combine for the 13s bms, but space is so tight tight tight!

Oh and I originally put the fuse and loop key at the bottom on the series join, but that same pesky balance wire keeps things connected in series.

1 Like

What welder are you using in that top pic, is it just a solenoid one? or arduino powered one

I donā€™t think its in any of the pics. Itā€™s this one.

I have it on a chunky great battery. Worked very well straight out of the box.

2 Likes

Thanks, I couldnā€™t see it fully as it was in the top corner. I canā€™t really bring myself to buy a spot welder and battery just to make one battery.

Iā€™m currently looking at just getting a cheap control board and microwave transformer or soldering the cells with fine wire to minimise heat. What do you think?

I hear the microwave transformers have worked well for some. There are people who swear by soldering but i think this is the domain of highly skilled solderersā€¦ You could always find a kindly soul in your area who could weld your groups for you?

I live in Aus so there arenā€™t a lot of people and shipping lithium Iā€™ve heard is a pain in the ass. I might give the microwave a try as Iā€™ve already got most of the stuff and Ill just steal my mums sewing machine foot pedal lol.

If all else fails I might see if @TinnieSinker could help me out, he has seemed really nice and helpful so far with questions Iā€™ve had

3 Likes

Is that 3/8 inch tinned copper braided wire?

10mm so about that I think yes @Badgermilk

1 Like

Thx. I like using that for my series connections also. I admire your work. Your attention to detail is impressive!

1 Like

Very kind words, thank you.

@thisguyhere Made me a really high quality battery. Check it out guys.

IMG_20190128_144531 IMG_20190128_150258 IMG_20190128_144415 IMG_20190128_190650 IMG_20190128_190618

20 Likes

Looks really nice! :ok_hand: :heart_eyes: The balance leads are fused? Which ones?

What deck is that, looks cool?

1 Like

Nope. The balance leads arenā€™t fused. The deck is a Bustin Royce Pro. Iā€™ll probably have to use a different deck. Unless I can get a little creative.