Please review my battery pack so I don't make a šŸ”„

Ok battery build thread here goes:

Hereā€™s the gist of what Iā€™m trying to achieve:

I grouped the cells in threes and glued them with black hot glue, plus taped the positive ends with kapton tape. Then I spot welded a length of 0.15x8mm pure nickel strip to the positive and negative terminals of each p group. I used fish paper rings on the positive terminals, and trimmed the corners of each strip.

To isolate each p group from its neighbour (and the cells above or below) I cut a piece of 1mm pressed insulation board (like presspahn), and scored a fold in it. Then I shrink wrapped each p group.

I then connected each p group using flat, braided copper speaker wire

For the connections between 3 and four, and 7 and 8 I stripped the insulation from the speaker wire and just wired two lengths of copper braid straight down between the groups. Between 5 and 6, I folded the speaker wire in half.

Complete pack photos:

image image image image

Link to BMS used:

BMS wiring diagram:

Itā€™s going to be hard to check my BMS wiring, but the key point is that b0 (Black balance wire) is wired to pack negative, and all subsequent balance wires up to b10 have voltages increasing in increments of 3.42v(ish).

One thing that happened when I was wiring up is the battery charge negative made contact with the BMS body and sparked. The balance loom was also loosely touching the BMS balance pins. Because they were only loosely touching, itā€™s possible the current sparked across from the balance leads to the wrong part of the bms.

I think this short significantly damaged the bms. When I connected the balance plug (I think with everything correctly wired) it sparked and smoked.

Iā€™m no electrical engineer, but I believe itā€™s a blown fet?

If the brief short isnā€™t to blame, the other explanations are:

• I made a mistake in my wiring; or
  • The BMS is junk, and what did I expect for the price?

If the cause of the fault was in fact the short while I was wiring up the bms, this begs the question - what is the recommended order for wiring up a bms? Battery negative first, or balance leads?

1 Like

Usually first the main leads than the balance leads.

Just dropping these here as they are so nice. @akhlut did a great job!

IMG_20180828_220120_221 20181122_215653 20180829_201701 20180829_202130

10 Likes

Both of these have 10 numbers but youā€™re saying B0 to B10 which is 11 wires.

This sounds like an off-by-one error.

Also the diagram you posted is not correct, B0 should at the same tension (voltage) as B- and B1 should be about 3.5V higher to the positive side

So measuring from B- you should have (assuming all cells are at 3.5V charge level)

(eleven numbers, eleven wires) B0 - 0.0V B1 - 3.5V B2 - 7V B3 - 10.5V B4 - 14V B5 - 17.5V B6 - 21V B7 - 24.5V B8 - 28V B9 - 31.5V B10 - 35V

What is the voltage between the big B- wire and the black balance wire (B0) ? Do you have a photo of the bottom of the BMS? How about a photo of the plug the balance connector goes into?

I think battery negative first

1 Like

I thought someone might mention thisā€¦ i wasnā€™t sure how to write it in a way that wasnā€™t confusing.

I left one leg of my multimeter connected to b0, then measured the voltage to b1, b2ā€¦ b9, b10. I can confirm no voltage drop between battery negative and b0 ( the other end of b0 is soldered to the negative terminal lol).

Hereā€™s the bottom (other side) of the bms:

This would help, but I donā€™t see anything wrong at the momentā€¦but I donā€™t know which way the plug orients and I need to know to help any more

image image

Out of curiosity I removed the shrink wrap of a cheap Chinese xt-90 splitter. I was kinda surprised to just find solder in there to bridge the gaps. Is this an ok method of doing it? I was going to make my own one of genuine xt-90s and was wondering if I should use the same method or just make a regular y harness using wires.

2 Likes

image imageimage image image image image Rainy day today so Iā€™m making a battery. All and any advice welcomed.

12 Likes

What soldering iron do you use?

Antex 100W. Very quickly because itā€™s a beast. Less than a second.

1 Like

Ok Iā€™m looking for one since the one I just bought was awful. Where did u get it

ebay. This is just for big stuff though. Iā€™ve got a smaller one for other stuff.

1 Like

Well ok I bought this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-SD100-Soldering-Iron-Silver/dp/B000R9Y0ZK/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1544888344&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=100w+soldering+iron&dpPl=1&dpID=31IxDbQSXTL&ref=plSrch

Looks almost the same but for some reason the tip deteriorated within like 10mins of soldering :open_mouth:

As for the spot welding. Itā€™s not pretty but I donā€™t see anything alarming

1 Like

The Weller 100w has a temperature controlled huuuge tip, great for big stuff (terrible for non-big stuff).

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-W100PG-Farenheit-Soldering-Degree/dp/B07C43TSFK

2 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s necessarily a problem, but something to be considered. Some of the series connections are 2 x nickel, and others are wire braid? I suppose the nickel ones will just bottleneck the pack as a whole rather than causing some kind of uneven discharge.

And I know usually everyone does the parallel welds as first layer, series welds on top of those, but for me I find the nickel-to-nickel doesnā€™t stick quite as well as the nickel-to-battery. I think, I could afford to lose a parallel connection but losing a series weld would be no bueno. So I would do battery ā†’ series weld ā†’ parallel weld. Someone correct me if Iā€™m full of shit.

And something I do when Iā€™m making packs, I put tape on all exposed contacts that Iā€™m not currently working on. I know youā€™d remove all that for the photo shoot, but thought it might help someone.

I like the welding jig :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The nickel is 12mm x 0.15mm so I thought that would be ample for the size of the pack? 1 strip should be good for 40A or am I way off?

Batteries looking good, Nickel should be enoughā€¦ I bought some 15mm wide 0.2mm thick nickel.

Yet to put my DIY welder together.

I will be using one of these butane soldering ironsIMG_20181215_161146

Yes this is acceptable.