Open Source Precision Trucks - Looking for design feedback

not when you do it on your own machine :wink:

i get what you’re saying tho, I may end up threading it and just screwing it in to avoid that

A threaded in pivot nose will be a continuous source of failure and angst.

3 Likes

What exactly will fail, the screw-in pivot or the hanger around the pivot? I am not entirely sure whether an aluminium pivot extended from the hanger is that much better than a stainless steel (e.g. 17/4 PH) pviot with an M10-M12 thread? If you look at the graph, the shear capacity of an (e.g.) M10 bolt is within tens of kN.

(source: https://www.hi-tensilebolt.com.au/bolt-shear-capacity-metric/)

1 Like

Steel / SS / TI threaded into 6 or 7 series AL, constantly taking 2X the abuse the axles take eventually takes it’s toll on the Pivot. One of our team riders, would continually egg out the pivot / hanger interface of Fyre trucks making it loose in short order. He was not an abusive skater either. If you go that route, design will be extremely important to it’s success.and durability. I would make it unremovable.

Thanks for clarifying the issue! The pivot implementation on the Fyre trucks doesn’t look that great and I can somewhat understand why the pivot will egg out over time. A longer stub (maybe twice as long), M10 thread and then glued in like an actual axle stub should make a difference.

(source: https://holyboardshop.com/media/catalog/product/l/i/liquid-fyre-trucks-cross-section_3.jpg)

2 Likes

Are you really going to print Derek’s name upside down?

3 Likes

please inform me when it’ll be upside down?

oohhhhhh shit :hushed:

i’ll go fix it now

1 Like

fixed. put it in a better place too

1 Like

At least you made a quick fix :slight_smile:

I don’t know why, but I find the writing close to the outside of the hanger looks better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think it looks better too, but it would be covered by mounts and pulleys

2 Likes

I have an idea, maybe you would like it that way: d07d031e6692e599541cbf8f47bc31ca3f96604c_1_690x412

Where the red line is :slight_smile: Sorry, only had axes to paint right now

1 Like

think this position looks better than on the top?

4 Likes

Thats awesome, I like the curvature.

2 Likes

I would’ve loved to change the tracking on the letters but cant do it in inventor :frowning:

1 Like

I think that is spot on, just the way you have it in the last pic.

1 Like

I guess your opinions arethe ones that matter. I just think it could look better if the letters were spread apart a little bit more (tracking)

1 Like

Let me please recommend you 2 small things:

• As you can see on the picture (marked red) make sure you put a filet to those corners, inner corners are never a good thing on a material, because they can’t transfer surface vibrations, and weaken the material.
  • second recommendation is, you should make some small filets all around the hanger, it would make it look more clean and well thought trough 2b12d706ca8025b18610de451d0be37796b1bdeb_1_690x424

By the way, I hope you will get on with that design, it’s interesting to see, someone cares about that :slight_smile:

Your bushing seat looks very restrictive. You could adapt the Caliper II seat as a starting point and work in some suggestion / hints from Alphamail. Also, you could use DM instead of Derek.

This is a cross-section of the Aera K3 hanger:

@GrecoMan

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but have you considered putting a horizontal bend in your hanger plate design, so that you would have a twin angle truck? Say a 5 degree bend on the hanger, mounted on a 50 degree baseplate, would result in 45 and 55 option truck. With this bend, if you flip the hangar you could have a lower (or higher) angle truck depending on which way the hanger was oriented. Maybe I am getting my nomenclature mixed up, but this idea might have some merit. This is what I mean.

A cheap way to get variable angle trucks!

The “bend” would go along here:

Here are some sketches, I might be way off base here, but throwing I’m this into the mix of ideas anyway.

Ordinary RKP truck with a flat hanger (e.g. 50 degrees):

Five degree bent hanger (resulting in a higher angle, e.g. 55 degrees):

Five degree bent hanger flipped 180 degrees (resulting in a lower angle e.g. 45 degrees)

What do you guys think?

With bend you mean rake?

I don’t think that it would make the whole thing cheap.