Open Source Precision Trucks - Looking for design feedback

220mm hanger that is reinforced,mount is integrated and pulley with 12mm bearing can be used( just screw on abec 11 wheel with no hardware.

5 Likes

That looks nice but may be also quite expensive. Take your STEP file and upload it to 3dhubs just to have a feeling how much it will be. I would consider to glue / press or weld it onto the hanger. Basically, something like that:

Not familiar with the term, but yes you would be correct. I was thinking more along the lines of cheaper than using an adjustable baseplate.

rake does not change the hanger angle as the pivot point remains the same. It either gives them a mellow or active return to center changing the feel of the turn in.

Read the info graphics above it is all in there as a summary.

The mount rings could totally be welded. This is just something I whipped up in 5mins at work most measurements are just guessed as well. Its more about the idea.

they could but welding will weaken the areaā€¦

Not if you use JB Weld :rofl: ā€¦ joke aside, welding is the least option I would choose.

Iā€™ve welded a couple of trucks, never had an issue. The thing with weldingā€¦thereā€™s a very fine line line between joining metals and slagging. In fact, I typically tack my stuff then take it to a friend who can ā€˜actuallyā€™ weld.

Just a curveball. Quite a lot of small busines tried joining the market with precision trucks. Mayby get in contact with them? Trucks are a science :wink:

It is a common misconception that what you describe changes the angle of the truckā€¦It does not. It gives the truck ā€œrakeā€ and the effect of positive rake is a a more lively truck where negative rake is very calm. Trucks with 0 rake will feel like caliber trucks. Further description is here: http://randal.com/faq/

1 Like

@michichopf We are doing just that, and they are working on itā€¦yup yupā€¦post your ideas so they see themā€¦pull out your sketch books!

1 Like

Can we just accept that Zero-Rake Calibers are the best for this type of application? @squishy654 see if you can get the guys at avenue to sell their beam spring baseplate alone.

Even if Avenue sold the suspension baseplate separately itā€™s geometry fits nothing on the market and would be pointless. The hanger needs to be shorter to account for the added height of the suspension and the whole package works well together. If you made your own hangers, sure, but thatā€™s sort of hard to do. I am instead urging them to take all your ideas and put them into a 220mm hanger for dual motor setups. Designing things is easy, bringing these to production isnā€™t (you prolly know this). I am forced to be patent beyond my abilities, but Iā€™m learning slowlyā€¦lolā€¦

1 Like

Anybody got STEP files for Caliber trucks? Iā€™m gonna machine some precision hangers to fit onto my caliber baseplate. Sometime in the future Iā€™ll also do the same thing again but using Roninā€™s ball pivot system.

https://grabcad.com/library/caliber-trucks-1 SLDPRT should work

4 Likes

Good thing everyone uses solidworks. I saw this file when I was looking through google, but I wasnā€™t sure how precisely it was modeled. Did the guy actually measure the pivot joint with a caliper? I guess Iā€™ll have to do some modeling myself regardless, but itā€™s nice to know what method he is using to make these models.

No idea man, sorry. But if youā€™re willing to make a super accurate model of a caliber truck, thatā€™s a valuable contribution to the community. If not, then Iā€™ll do it :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as accuracy, you canā€™t get too accurate with cast trucks. Iā€™ve had calibers with truck holes as far as 2mm off. Calipers will help but you canā€™t take all the dimensions to the exact hundredths decimal because of tolerance with cast trucks.

Solidworks is still the industry standard but I feel like Fusion 360 is going to take that mantle soon. Itā€™s getting more and more popular everyday.

2 Likes

Are you going to make an extended hanger or just a precision Caliper hanger?

1 Like

Well for now Iā€™m going to make regular precision hangers for my pushboard. However it wouldnā€™t take any extra effort to simply extend the width of the hanger.

Well the cheat here would be to ask @Alphamail for the CAD to the pivot joint of the Caliber. The rest of the lengths can be measured closely enough.

Iā€™m more a machinist than a CAD user at the moment, so it would be nice for someone else to step up to the plate for modeling. I occasionally have access to a Haas vertical CNC mill, so Iā€™d like to try my hand at attempting to machine a handful of trucks for myself. Even better, if someone else has a model for different precision trucks, Iā€™ll happily see if I can make something happenā€¦

1 Like