Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

The forum :smiley: Go up in the category box on the main screen and select one of them. You can also just scroll down and see all the cool things people make.

1 Like

Awesome cheers for the help.

1 Like

Is there a amount of clearance that I should have between my motor mount and deck. Also could paris 195mm trucks big enough to be used with mbs rockstars or do you need to use mountainboard trucks.

Noob stuff … oooo that’s me I’ve been on here for about a week just reading and studying different things to know for my first board and I know everyone has their own opinion on what batteries and set ups to use but my plan since I’m 190lbs is a dual 6374 190KV belt drive motor set up with two VESCs the only issue I’m having is I don’t know how to make a 12s4p battery and while i have seen several threads on it I’m still not confident enough to attempt on my own so I was wondering what batteries ( please multiple kinds and types) I could buy. Please help I would like to go about 15-20 mph with little to no sluggishness on minor hills

Cant go wrong with a pack made of 30Q and @psychotiller is a master at building batteries

1 Like

Can someone tell me what size these standard charge ports are? I bought some off amazon but accidentally got a size slightly off.

There’s 2.1mm and 2.5mm dc power plugs. From experience the 2.5mm jack will fit the 2.1mm plug but not vice versa. Actually… that might be the wrong way around.

Two questions.

1. Would this charger be acceptable for 12s BMS charging

2. so as some of you already know, I am merging 4 Lipos into 2 6s packs, to then merge into a 12s2p pack. so to merge two 6s lipos I have decided to put a 1Ohm resistor between each balance lead, in hopes that when each cell is merged, if the cells are slightly out of balance, it wont dump the max output of the battery into balancing the other cell, which would kill the other battery.

99C01923-0E45-4CD4-AA77-BB6837137DAC

Each resistor is rated for 50W, So I hope that this will work, as I know only basic electronics principles

@Kug3lis Whats your thoughts on this trick to protect the batteries. Obviously ill bypass the resistors for bms use, just use these for inter cell balancing.

edit: updated the wiring diagram for what I plan to do image

Ahm why you put resistors on balance leads? You balance out each pack to exact voltage and connect them in parallel and no output will be dumped anywhere… Everyone is using like that for ages no need to reinvent wheel. Plus resistor inline will make balancers see lower voltage than it is.

EDIT based on ned drawing, you still have path for current to flow from cells to one another, also main current will flow through main leads the moment you connect them together. BMS will not balance each parallel cell as separate cell but as single cell

1 Like

(time to delete my post as I just read your edit) what do you recommend then if my balance charger is struggling to balance the cells to 0.08V+/- hence why im trying to limit the inter cell transfer. or would it still work if they are that far apart? I am worried about damaging my batteries

edit: someone mentioned having a master and a slave cell, would that work? image

Well talking about damaging i am running 12 packs in 12s3p without any bms just fine :wink: Exact same grafene packs.

Regarding edit don’t add any resistors that will not work and just harden bms job. If you want to have better balancing get bigger BMS with bigger bleed resistors not add resistor on cells.

tbh I mostly wanted a bms for the charging capability, but I also ended up killing 4 multistar 16000Ah lipos without any reason, so im just playing safe.

wait! Could I use the resistor to balance the cells ignoring the bms, but when I come to wiring them to the bms I just remove the resistor, that way I can make sure each cell is balanced exactly to the other cells voltage.

no

10charr

But I am right in thinking if I merge the two cells when they are 0.8V apart it is likely to kill one of the batteries since they can only charge at a max at 5A const.

also, what did you think about the Charger? yay/nay?

Nothing will get killed. Balance charge each of them to full voltage with some cheap charger and then connect them in parallel.

Charger is OK. Graphene ones can charge much more than 5A… At least 2C like minimum.

1 Like

Thanks for all the help. TIme to get building!!

Does anyone make a boosted board like motor mount for paris or caliber trucks? Either for sale or a file for cnc would work

Whats the best V for me… EMTB 15/72 gearing, 2 x 168kv, 2x escape.

Need advice on the best overall choice for me between 12s/10s/8s/lipo setups before i splash cash…

I want the top end speeds of a 10s or 8s setup but if i did go for 12s and within the esc settings reduced the top speed about 30%, i will get more range from a 12s but may possibly run into overheating issues if my escs are fully (pelican 1040) inclosed. .???

Do you need a bluetooth module in order to see if your vesc/focbox is working and to configure it?

10s or 12s shouldn’t be a problem. If your escapes get too hot you need to adjust the battery current not the voltage.

1 Like