Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

same name just ahrav lol. I added the same question with a few more deets in the noob questions thread.

1 Like

Hi Guys. I litterally just signed up to this forum. So very noobie! I am not too sure if anyone can help but I have a Koowheel and was riding the other day when it just stopped. The battery now wont charge up at all but when I tested the connections the charge was reaching the battery terminals. Iā€™m thinking the BMS has gone wrong. Can I get a cheap replacement and rebuild the battery? Where do I get a BMS for the Koowheel? I really have no idea what iā€™m doing so would love some help :slight_smile:

Hey @DangerMouse. Try going to forum. most everyone over here has transferred over to there. There are a lot more guys that can help you there. Personally electronics are not my strong suit. So I am useless.

1 Like

hello, Iā€™ve been fighting my raptor 2.1 for the past 2 hours and I think Iā€™ve given up on the damn thing, Is there anyone that can help me via team viewer, sky, or a dang phone call.

A lil background: My lcd was reading 86% for the past couple of days and i thought that it could be that I just needed to update the board (spoiler alert: i was wrong). so i went to enertions website and got the Focbox tool and used the included motor and app wizards to configure the board after i presumably updated the board, turns out i fixed the problem, but only by causing an even worse one. Throughout the setup I was asked to spin the wheels by hand, and i somehow missed the part that told me to spin them in the forward direction resulting in one wheel spinning forwards and the other spinning in reverse. I ran down stairs cause i didnā€™t notice this by looking as they were spinning so quickly and i quite frankly didnā€™t know it was a problem. any how i go back upstairs and try to fix it, but it no longer wants to connect or even recognize that the board is plugged in to begin with. The only thing that even tries to work is the bluetooth app, however that does nothing for me because when it attempts to calibrate nothing happens except for the occasional loud noise that gives me the slightest bit more hope to keep trying to solve the problem Iā€™m having. please help @CarlCollins or anyone else with any idea of what i should do. I think the focbox is running 23.46 but i got no clue which of these numbers are my boards and which are what they should be etc.

thanks in advanced for any help

I got a lot more help on the esā€‹k8 neā€‹ws foā€‹rum

1 Like

Yea I went over there after i read something saying it was more popular

1 Like

Heres some really noobish questions: What happens if you donā€™t have a power switch and keep the Vesc always plugged in to the battery?

my cheap ESC has died and Iā€™m now on a quest upgrading it to VESC. I bought two 4.20 VESCs from flipsky for my dual hub 10s2p mini board. I also noticed that VESC also need a seperate remote, so over the dual 60$ Iā€™ve spent, I now let go of another 50$ for the remoteā€¦

neglecting the connectors and wires to assemble everything, I now happen to realize that vesc also need a power buttonā€¦ which happen to cost another briliant 50$(!)ā€¦

now here comes my questionā€¦

How come a cheap 50$ ESC can do dual motor control + have its own dedicated remote control with battery indicating + have a power button + have auto ON/OFF switch integration, while the super sophisticated (expensive) VESC doesnā€™t?

why do I need a 50$ anti spark button to hardwarely disconnect the vesc from the batteries all the time?

I didnā€™t do that on my ESCā€¦ it simply wenā€™t to sleep after few minutesā€¦

Does the VESC never goes to sleep? whats the wattage drawback of the VESC while on idle? If its neglectable, can I simply leave it plugged in all the time?

1 Like

no no noā€¦

a. its ugly

b. its not convenient

c. its not safe, exposed port a.k.a troubles caller

d. its not really that cheap, 10$ for the plug set, another 8-10$ for the mounted plugā€¦ and this link is surely expensiveā€¦ now 3D printing stuffs? yeahā€¦ no!

e. with my soldering skills Iā€™m sure not gonna make it solid enough for daily plugging and pullingā€¦

You seem to have a lot of requirements. Maybe you should do some more research before spending your money if youā€™re that concerned with it.

hmmā€¦ sorry if I sound like a big fart with my last reply.

Iā€™m aware of that fix and I donā€™t like it that muchā€¦

therefore my original questionā€¦

What happens if you simply leave the vesc plugged in?

You just run the risk of killing your battery. A low voltage alarm could help. Regardless, youā€™ll probably end up opening it up to disconnect it if you want to let it sit for longer than a few days, which is why an external loop key is a great option. I bet you could get somebody to make you one and send you a printed holder for like $10.

1 Like

Hey there lads ! I would like to clarify a doubt that I have ! say i am running a dual set up using a 10s4p config. does this means that each of the motor in theory will get a power of 10s2p, because they are parallel ? I appreciate the help from anyone of you :slight_smile:

I need a wheel pulley for these wheels https://www.ebay.de/itm/ABEC11-Flywheel-Dark-Green-4er-Set-76-mm-81a-Longboardrollen/113891989789?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

You will slowly drain your battery, and if you let it go on for long enough, you will irreparably damage your battery.

Because youā€™re paying for other things in a vesc, like the ability to tweak all the settings, and the safety features like overtemperature protection, and FOC, and and and.

You donā€™t need to. You can use a $10 XT90-S loop key.

The vesc does not got to sleep, itā€™s always running. Its idle current draw depends on several factors, including but not limited to the battery voltage, the exact hardware version of the vesc, the exact firmware version itā€™s running, the exact settings youā€™ve got in in, and the phase of the moon.

Donā€™t chance it. I recommend making up a loop key and being done with it. Itā€™s cheap, simple, and robust.

Well, then maybe you see now why people think itā€™s reasonable to charge $50 for a finished, not-ā€œuglyā€, not-ā€œinconvenientā€, not-exposed, not-dependent-on-your-soldering-skills antispark switch! What a concept! :upside_down_face:

I hate to break it to you, but if you got into the DIY esk8 world to save money, youā€™ve got another think coming. Either you accept that you cannot place a monetary value on your time and effort, or you spend extra money to have things done by other people so you donā€™t have to. Things will break, and you will have to fix/replace them. Tools (like a decent soldering iron and related accessories) are required, and they cost money. Skills (like soldering) are required, and those take time to learn. Unless you already have all the tools and skills necessary, DIY is rarely faster or cheaper than buying a premade thing.

3 Likes

People still use this forum? There is a better one that wonā€™t be offline next week

1 Like

Oh, I am far more active on the other one. I just stick my head in here periodically to shepherd poor n00bs across to https://www.forum., where all the cool kids are.

2 Likes

Yeah I got way more help over on foā€‹rumā€‹.esā€‹kā€‹8.neā€‹wsā€‹

Yes, that is correct.

Itā€™s almost as if itā€™s a forum by builders, for builders, rather than a megaphone for a certain money-grubbing, underdelivering, insolvent Australian esk8 company or something. :thinking:

4 Likes

Thank you my dude !! I also got clarification from @longhairedboy and Pavel ā€¦ I knew my knowledge was not wrongā€¦ Dealing with a battery supplier that doesnā€™t have much knowledge with esk8 is tough :smile:ā€¦ Iā€™d just build my own pack but I lack the experience and inventoriesā€¦ working on it !

1 Like