Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

It really depends on the weight (thickness) of the fiberglass you’re using. For an enclosure with no mechanical/structural loads on it other than its own mass, I’d say 1/16" (~1.5mm) should be more than sufficient. You’ll have to figure out how many layers of fiberglass are needed to make up that thickness though.

Polyester resin can be used with vacuum impregnation, but it’s not ideal for several reasons: It’s really, really smelly and attacks many materials, such as rubber gloves. It’s also hard to mix perfectly because the ratio of resin to hardener is so high (drops of hardener to ounces of resin), it’s setup and curing time is very dependent on the temperature and the amount of hardener you used, and it is pretty viscous which makes vacuum impregnation even more problematic.

Having gone through this whole process myself, my recommendation is that you save yourself a lot of hassle and just buy some good low-viscosity epoxy resin online.

truely funny i have enough for a “powerful build” already

Ok, I’ll take that into consideration. Haven’t looked into it that much but I might run into problems having the resin shipped to Iceland. I already have polyester resin so I might do some tests with it make a small scale prototype.

Thanks for the info!

If you go forward with polyester, I’d recommend working somewhere cool or cold during the initial steps to make sure you get done with your layup before the resin starts to kick off, and also don’t try to do vacuum infusion - Do a wet layup and then vacuum bag, because the resin is too thick to flow for infusion. Once you’ve got everything wet out and bagged, you can warm things up to speed up the hardening.

Be aware that the volume of mixed resin has a great effect on pot life - a small scale batch will cure much slower than a large one. My last attempt at fiberglass with polyester was a partial failure because I mixed one big batch and it started to set up before I was ready.

1 Like

What else do you want us to say to an absurd question like that? It’s a lawnmower. This is an electric skateboard forum. It has literally no utility or relevance. It’s like me asking “Hey guys, I have a bag of rocks. What can I do with it?”

1 Like

Hit someone over the head and take their board?

2 Likes

A completely reasonable suggestion given the nature of the question.

1 Like

i was reffering to dose anyone know what i can build with 10 hp gas motor

thanks i guess this is for electric skateboards

Im about to go up to the ocean for a few weeks and debating bringing my board.

Would it be bad to ride on roads near the ocean?

Even ignoring the fact that this forum is primarily centered around electric skateboards,

A: Lawnmower engines have vertical shafts, which are a pain to build any kind of vehicle with.

B: Lawnmower engines are governed and have shitty throttle response, making them a pain to build any kind of vehicle with.

C: Lawnmower engines have no clutch, making them a pain to build any kind of vehicle with.

D: A 10hp lawnmower engine is quite large and heavy, making it a pain to build a skateboard with.

E: Gas powered skateboards are illegal except on private property in many areas.

Depends if your board has been weatherproofed or not. Stainless steel or ceramic ball bearings, conformal coating on all electronics and on motor internals, etc.

Anyone know any battery builders in Canada? Or willing to ship at an affordable rate? I’m in Toronto and looking to build a 10s6p using 30T cells, stacked config.

I live spitting distance from the ocean and I have done none of those things on any of my builds. As long as you don’t chuck it in the sea you should be fine.

1 Like

Do Flipsky 6.6 vescs have erpm limit?

Im running a 160kv motor with a 12s battery and its hitting the limit

IIRC it’s 150K+ on Vedder’s 6.x hardware, dunno what the actual hard limit is. I’m sure it depends somewhat on the exact physical board layout so the flipsky might be different than the reference version.

1 Like

Ok im planning to use my phone and make a youtube channel but at 30 mph there is risk of me falling and breaking my phone i already discussed this with apple and it was a 100 dollar upcharge and covered any accidents i may have for 2 years heres my line up https://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-COMMUTER-Case-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B07CZSWD28/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=otterbox+ipod+7&qid=1561944114&s=gateway&sr=8-2

• tempered glass

That’ll protect you from most things except a direct screen-down on asphalt or concrete. If you want more durability I’d suggest getting an action camera - A GoPro session or a chinese gopro knockoff. Cheaper than a phone and much much more durable.

And you can put it on a helmet or chest rig or etc - The possibilities are endless and you don’t need a hand free.

i already have a sheet of tempered glass that covers the front its been tested and is hammer and bullet proof my questions was is the case good enough

I agree with mystical, an iPhone isn’t really suited for adventurous POV rides like the ones you want to do

that being said, that otterbox case is probably the best bet you have of keeping your phone in one piece simply because it’s so fat