Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Hard to tell from the wbsite but there are multiple threads on flipsky so info should be easy to come by. Actually @DerelictRobot has been running fsesc for miles and miles with no issues apparently. Early 4.20 had some issues but I believe they have been addressed now.

1 Like

Be careful with those button head screws - they’re stronger, but the hex drive is a size smaller than the cap screws, so you’ll be more likely to strip the drive than to break the screw. Using Wera hex-plus wrenches helps a lot, but there’s only so much you can do when the drive is smaller. That’s why I always recommend cap head screws where possible - much harder to strip them.

2 Likes

I have about 6k miles put into my pair of FSESC6.6. these are first revision models, not the new ones. Full disclosure, I did have one of them burn out an antispark switch but that’s expected and they still work fine. Would recommend getting them without integrated antispark if that’s an option for you.

1 Like

What are the connectors for the battery and phase? @nirurin was asking

I don’t think they come with any phase bullets on them, xt90 integrated into them for input

1 Like

The only updated version of the 4.20 seems to be the one that comes with the ‘Pro’ switch, which seems to be a momentary button. My BMS is from Bestech and has the e-switch… so I’m not sure which one I should be wiring up (or if I’m meant to be using both)

I had a rummage through some old electronics kit I used for another project, and I have found that I have 20ft of 8awg and 20ft of 16awg wire on a spool unused. Is there any downside to using 8awg/16awg instead of 10awg/20awg for power wiring and balance wires?

You will run into problems with connectors. 8 is big and makes soldering connectors hard. Also a lot more bulky. Crimping pins for jst connectors could be problematic on 16 too but don’t quote me on that I have never done it. Make sure the wire is silicon too for flex purposes.

As long as you can fit and solder the wire into the connectors adequately, it should be fine. Like dareno said though, make sure it’s silicone insulation, not pvc.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I could tell the difference haha, but these wires seem pretty easily flexible so I assume they’re silicone?

I also have a bunch of what appears to be 12awg speaker wiring. As well as some other lengths of wire that I’m not sure what gauge it is as it’s not written on the sheath. Would be nice to be able to make use of some of it instead of buying even more wire!

The silicone feels rubbery, the pvc feels waxy and more plastic

1 Like

I would err on the side of caution when using random wire. Get the stuff that has been tried and tested. Its just not worth it for a few dollars. Especially in a battery build.

1 Like

I mean the 8awg and 16awg are proper wire, it’s only the random other ones I’m not sure of. They’ll be decent wiring, just thicker.

I would think it’s silicone from the feel. Is there a problem with PVC?

Edit: Alternatively I’d just be getting the bog standard 10awg and 20awg from amazon or ebay

1 Like

One dead easy way to be sure: Take your soldering iron and try to melt/burn the insulation. Silicone won’t melt, and won’t degrade at all from a 400C iron. PVC will melt and smoke well below that temperature.

3 Likes

It does melt just not as easily. Unless you are familiar with the characteristics of both then it would be a hard test.

I dunno what silicone you have, but I can hold a 400C iron on mine for 30 seconds and see zero degradation. I have never seen silicone melt - only char and degrade.

2 Likes

Yeah I run mine on 480 and it melts the turnigy silicon sheath. Silicon burns too. Not just melts and it does produce smoke. I just want him to be careful with the wiring is all. Too important.

1 Like

Question: Im building a double stack 12s6p for the single cut hummie deck & i need the pack too be flexy. Can i do this, & just solder ether 10awg wire or copper braid into series ? (of course with fish paper underneath) Or should i just do (2) 6s6p pack & connect into series with 10awg ? Will that work as well ? 1557022098949535081988389573311

Has anyone tried using MBS matrix 2 Trucks with ABEC wheels 90/97/107mm?

Not sure if there even are bearings that size. 12x22x8mm. Haven’t found them yet.

I dont think they do have them but if they do im sure they will be pricey