Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Don’t have the wera but everyone I know and love do have them. I have used bondhus for years and years workwise though and I would say they are a good alternative. Must have 8 sets knocking around due to misplacement and they are made to very exacting tolerances just like the wera

What is eltonic longboard

?

2 Likes

If you intend on using the BMS as a charge only, I see no problem with it. However, the new BMS you linked has the over discharge protection voltage set at 2.9V which will damage a LiPo. Unless the manufacturer can setup the BMS from LiIon to LiPo then I would stay away from it. Also keep in mind that the new one has 30A discharge whereas your BMS has 10A.

this is the one i got

its common port i think seoerate is better

hello . i was looking at the esk8 calc, 10s3p compared to 12s2p only a 3 mile drop in range ands as i got the bms all ready i might stick with 12s for at the moment, what are the advantages and disadvanteges for both. and do booted boared use an chemically or phiscally driffernt bttery to the 30q 18650

1 Like

13s is the highest possible voltage a vesc can handle. 12s, being close to that, puts more stress on the vesc than 10s will, and thus people tend to have a somewhat higher failure rate with 12s than with 10s, especially with FOC, and especially with 4.xx hardware. That’s what b264 means about fuckup space with 10s vs 12s.

In terms of advantages and disadvantages, assuming you keep all the same hardware (wheel size, pulley size, motor KV, etc) 12s will give you a ~20% higher top speed, but since 10s3p can supply more current and power than 12s2p, you’ll get better range and acceleration with 10s.

Boosted uses entirely different cells. They’re a different size (26650 vs 18650) and a different cemestry (LiFePO4 vs NCA). Our batteries are much more energy-dense, but LiFePO4 has a higher cycle life and is safer.

2 Likes

I have to disagree on the acceleration and torque argument. I have found the acceleration to be much punchier at 12s4p versus 10s5p 30q where the gearing and motor Kv remains the same.

ah okay ,thankyou lets say for the the sake of £18 whould you go for 10s 3p then, with 12s is it almost likely vesc will brake image

can gearing put strain on motor

Not super likely, but it’s just one more thing to not worry about. I’ve had a vesc failure (not from 12s, it was something else) and it’s something you only want to have happen to you once. StreetFace is no bueno.

1 Like

A lot of people use 12s on vesc hardware without problems. 10s has a better safety margin but I’ve not had a failure due to voltage. (Had some shit vescs early on from scramboards though).

The direct fet vesc from esk8 de. is solid at 12s in my experience.

The flipsky 6.6 dual is going well so far too.

my vesc is fsecs 4.12

Fair enough. I was just going by the maximum available watts. I guess with 12s you could increase the motor max a little more, but it would taper off the acceleration sooner.

2 Likes

True. For leaving sportscars at the traffic lights though 12s is the bomb. (They soon catch up!)

4 Likes

Yeah, fsesc 4.12 is not the most top of the line controller. If I were you, I’d stick to 10s and get the extra couple miles of range out of the deal.

2 Likes

thankyou. whould a 60amp bms make sure i get all the avable spped out of it

Amps don’t directly affect speed, only acceleration. 60A should be fine for a 3p pack.