Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

He selected 10mm (63a)

2 Likes

Thanks very much, I think I’m on the right track, I’m using 2 maytech 6374, 12s 6p 30q, charge only bms and unity. I have purchased the silicon wire in 10awg, 12awg and 22awg, I’m using nkon .15x10mm nickel strip (not sure if I need to double layer this up?)

I’ll get the tinned braiding and as soon as the spotwelder arrives make some sparks! 20190115_205501

1 Like

Apparently I can’t read today, don’t mind me LoLz

1 Like

That’s 90A/120A for the cells so your limit will be the nickel and wire if it’s less than that

@b264 so as is i could get a bottleneck? What would you suggest? Double the batt wires (they are rated at 65a cont), triple layer the nickel strip?

It depends what you want. I don’t think 65A continuous will be a problem for you. That’s 3250W. It all depends what you want. Also the less you stress your cells, the longer they last so if anything is over-rated, you want it to be the cells above all else.

I guess Ill go with it and see, i can always add a wire.

I think I’ll be happy if I can leave a boosted and a carbon gt in my dust :-):grin:

1 Like

You’ll be able to do that with a single motor build. LoLz

Some of the higher dual motor builds can leave a ford mustang in the dust. At least for the first 500 meters anyway

4 Likes

does anyone know what makes a maytech vesc bolw. or is it just bad quality. trying to avoid burning it for as long as possible.

Don’t run it at 12S. Don’t connect it wrong. Don’t use insane settings. Don’t use FOC. Don’t use more than 190kv motor. Ensure the way it’s mounted isn’t going to take damage from extreme vibration.

1 Like

What’s the difference between VESC Tool and BLDC Tool?

BLDC Tool is the old one. It’s not receiving updates and I don’t know of a version that contains the newest firmware. If you want to be safe, download the VESC tool from the vesc forum for Windows – or for Linux, compile it yourself from github.

1 Like

what would you consider insane settings?

Sure @b264 has his own response but to give you an idea of insane settings. If your battery max discharge is 60A probably set the battery max amperage in VESC to be something lower than this (like 40A) same for charging, don’t push more than a few C at max for regen braking so as to not damage cells by pumping too much charge into them too quickly. Make sure the voltage settings for the battery make sense in terms of max and soft/hard cut off values (minimums). You could also limit eRPM but if you have a low enough kv*voltage (below 8,571 RPM assuming 14 pole motor or in any case under 60,000 eRPM), then it won’t be an issue.

Also assumed you do motor calibration with no load on the motor and receiver setup so you can control your motor.

1 Like

Yes, this.

3600C = Hz = 1 per second

That means if you have a 12Ah battery, for example purposes, don’t regen (“battery minimum” setting) less than 1 - 2 C which in this case is -12A to -24A. Going less like -30C might harm your cells. And I would even stay above -24A.

This means like, for example if you have a lithium-ion battery, set cutoffs at 3.2V/cell and 3.4V/cell which for a 10S battery means “cutoff start” is 34.0V and “cutoff end” is 32.0V

If you have lithium-polymer or lithium iron phosphate or lithium titanate, the numbers will be different.

If you don’t use a motor over 190kv, this won’t be an issue with 10S systems.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the nano x is compatible with the tb vesc? I have both and managed to link them but I can not get the engine to turn

Any recommendations on what I should do with my pulley alignment? If I put the motor pulley with screws in, it isn’t aligned: image However if I put the grub screws out then the pullies are aligned but the end of the pulley with the grub screws extends over the end of the motor shaft, so there is nothing the secure the pulley: image Any thoughts? Would a key way be the answer? I have red loctite but I want to see if there are any other not so permanent solutions first

Also @luis99945 yes that remote is compadable with TB Vesc

2 Likes

Put some speed rings in between the truck and the wheel and try to line it up

I tried that already but there is no room on the end of the axel for the nut.

What are those really small screws called that go right here? Could those work? :arrow_down: image

It’s called “set” or “grub” screws.

2 Likes