News to the Name VESC

Not going to swear but some people need to get a f#$kin grip it’s a speed controller. Ud think ppl would be more chilled out given the nature of the sport we love. A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet. I like vec

We going with our new design from 4.12 with the name ESK8 Controller what is in realty! Nobody really needs a V … 6 It was surely a good controller. As has already been said it is too oversized for an e-board

1 Like

I think the best Name would have been VESK8 but can not used! Shit happens. V= Vedder + ESK8 really simple.

1 Like

Question is why Benjamin felt he needed to do this. It seems to me it wasn’t sustainable for him to continue working on this project. My guess is that the donations weren’t enough to keep him going. I’d like to see released the list of vendors who actually donated. Might add clarity as to why Benjamin decided he needed to do this. You can’t sink the boot into trampa without kicking Benjamin as well. @ChrisChaput you could call yours JetSC. Assuming you are planning on releasing Jet branded Eskate? Can we start a thread on that!

2 Likes

Hi esk8: Do you plan to release your new design as opensouce project ?

If you have the TM, you need to assure that no one else uses it, since a TM serves the purpose that people can identify the original source. Legally you can’t allow third parties to use the TM. That’s the way it is.

Since most open source projects have a TM, there is probably a good reason for it. So it’s pretty obvious that Benjamin should have the TM before someone else takes it together with the OS-Code. In consequence it’s not possible to share the TM. You also have to see that the project is more about the software than the hardware.

Frank

I have to disagree there. I am ‘choosing’ to believe that Ben didn’t know/understand what this action was going to do. I am pretty sure Trampa knew exactly what they were doing.

I think most people are just miffed that a vendor who hasn’t really been a part of, at least, the electronics/engineering side of this community just kind of swooped in and took over. Then after taking over proceeded, at least to my view, started bullying all of the other vendors over the name. Trampa is essentially gaining the value of the name VESC because he PAID for it.

Lastly, if you look at the new feature set for the VESC6, I think you will find that 90% of them were developed by @Ackmaniac, @evoheyax and others. If you look at the Hardware changes, a lot of that was pioneered by vendors like @chaka, @torqueboards, @onloop and others. So Open Source/Community development is kind of getting the shaft on this thing.

you can choose to believe Ben is an idiot if you like. Kinda insulting.

That’s not what I meant. As an engineer I tend to say shit straight and well defined, mostly because I sometimes miss the nuances of creatively and without insult calling a dumbass a dumbass :slight_smile:. I am assuming that Ben found himself in the same situation, missing the nuances of what he was told and not seeing how it would snowball into a shit storm.

Or Benjamin simply took its time to finish things off properly, while others tried to bridged the gap, partly implementing stuff that was part of Bens Vision ages back. Nothing wrong about that, don’t get me wrong. VESC-X is a VESC 4 with DFs, in the layout sceme of VESC 5 for example. The original design is VESC 5, which was skipped for the benefits of VESC SIX. If you look at the throttle curves of VESC-Tool, you will see that its a completely different solution to the currently available ones, because Benjamin knew how he wanted things to be, but had the patience to finish the new Firmware first. Step B after Step A… But now saying Benjamin copied others peoples work is a bit funny.

VESC 5 showed it all ages ago. Now guess who was debating the layout of VESC 5 with Benjamin, long time before it even popped up on the Vedder Forum? That is a long time back, when everyone was still making the unchanged VESC 4.10 designs.

Frank

Look mate, I’m not gonna get into this with you again. You can spin it anyway you want to but the fact is you screwed a bunch of people, spent some money but didn’t actually do anything…this is all business to you. I get it, your if the “it’s just business” crowd. Good luck to you.

1 Like

We testing at the moment the first 10 Prototype ESK8 Controller. 4 psc. was in 2 MTM as dual and one Longboard with dual and one Longboard with single Motor. But the most interesting is, two from the controller was by Vehico in Germany. There Project was autonomous vehicle, and they have killing many V4.12 because of the heat. At the moment looks like this have no problems. But when i became from there the results than i make in a own thread thats publish. We plan to build the first 100 in the next weeks, and then we make introductory price. But thats al in the own thread. After than i think we making the project OS so as Chacka have making al his project making OS. And who knows we get new ideas to improve.

The whole thing is a joke Trampa belongs to Ted Orr, the name Vesc belongs to Benjamin. And frank makes the laws here who is allowed and who can not I have only read the opinion of BV, but I’m not sure if he wrote that about the TM. I know that Chacka is boss of Ollin Board, Jason of Enertion, Dexter of Torque Boards Evoheyax from Rocketboards and many others also here Also, there are many companies that build and sell the same product under license. But Frank the writer of Trampa says that does not work! In one point I must give frank right, I have it checked by a lawyer the name VESK8 and i really can not used for one similar product. Without license. I also believe that if one is well-versed and take the Publish PDF file from V … 6 And the pictures what have been published and Look at the parts then expects all together, then he comes to that the V … 6 no more cost as $ 80 in production For this I say full of respect im congratulate for big Business. Im writing with a friend from BV who helped him by the V… and before sitting Trampa in the V… Boat, he say me thats BV wants to produced the V…6 his own and sell himself. And thats was not so long time here. That’s exactly how I know that Frank by from us in spring of 2016 V… 4.12 for testing. At the same time was the V…5 in discussion and at this time was Trampa in matters of electroboards nowhere. So i think thats what Frank say: VESC 5 showed it all ages ago. Now guess who was debating the layout of VESC 5 with Benjamin, long time before it even popped up on the Vedder Forum? That is a long time back, when everyone was still making the unchanged VESC 4.10 designs. I think the debating makes not Frank. That´s was only profiling and a big Bullshit, All I’ve enumerated above, can prove what they are doing to the project V… What can Trampa prove? Oh, I forgot, all forbid the name V… to used!

As I just started to look at building my own board I came in the middle of this mess. It’s now very confusing to find the controller in looking for when everyone has to just pick a random name for it. Imo the naming should stay “vesc-[version]-[hw type]-[brand]” or similar.

Like now I’m googling and trying to figure out what brand I can go for when I want to use the latest vesc software. Obviously trampa brand comes up quickly with the vesc6 but I assume that is because of the trademark hijacking they did? I’ll continue googling tho and see if I can figure this out. Paying an insane premium to trampa isn’t temping seeing how they played their cards in this business. I’d rather pay the same to Benjamin or some of they guys that has been in “since the start” in the OS project building the VESC brand before trampa hijacked it.

Honestly, I think if you really want to get to the bottom of this forget everything you’ve read in this thread and go read Benjamin’s post on the matter (http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=733).

2 Likes

BV wrote this:

2 Likes

What is this?

See trampa, how confusing your making this community? No one knows whats what anymore…

1 Like

Gotta get that trademark monopoly to sell overpriced ESCs!

The vesc market up till now has been filled with a mixup of decent escs and some that are junk all under the vesc name. There are many people who saw the name vesc from a vendor and with a good price and didn’t know any better and they jump into a pile of steaming electronics. With this trademark every vendor’s product will have to have it’s own name and can’t latch onto the vesc good rep with junky stuff. Now every vendor is on his own and must make his own name literally and figuratively. I think it’s good.

I look forward to seeing what the different vendors come up with. Since the 6 is way overkill in the amp department for a e-board for everyone but a sumo wrestler I think the vendors will realize this and spend their time just working on the robustness of FOC!! I hope so.

It seems e-boards are just a stepping stone for the vesc and it’s moving on to more powerful things. No need for us to pay to get on that bus.

Everyone but the sellers on eBay and aliexpress (that where selling the junk in the first place) those will still sell the same “vesc” :smiley: All in all just way more confusion.