News to the Name VESC

are you saying the junky vescs will keep the vesc name despite it being copyrighted? Id think that would stop or they’d get the law after them and it wouldn’t be worth it for them. We will have to see but even if they do keep the name, and copyrights are going out the window in this coming age, I’m not sure if I care as I’ll just have to be more up on reading reviews of specific vendor’s products…which is the best way to know what we’re getting anyway.

The problem though is that at the end of the day, all are more or less a vesc. I think everyone should name there vesc’s like vesc-x, vesc-g, vesc-293948384 or whatever, so we can distinguish them. But at the end of the day, for people like me who write software that works with all of the vesc variations, having a bunch of names for whats more or less the same is confusing and complex.

1 Like

hummie, yes I think so.

That’s my thought exactly evoheyax. What’s even more confusing now is that now esk.de is releasing a ESC8. Since it’s VESC based many will assume that ESC8 is newer than VESC6 :smiley: This was the worst example this far but I’m sure there will be more now after the TM is going to be enforced harder.

You all don’t get the point that the VESC-Project is 98% software related. Benjamin doesn’t want project forks to use the VESC-Brand. Fair enough I would say. If he would not have the TM, anyone could grab the code and market it under the same brand, open up VESC Domains, distribute VESC-Software etc. The customer would be left totally confused, from whom they actually should download the software and if that software is compatible or safe to use. It would end in a right mess. VESC-Tool will be the original source, quality approved by BV. Hardware will be branded individually, and who wishes to show compatibility and project support can join a partner program, making use of a special branding. There will be a listing on the official website, so if customers want to find out what options they have, no problem! I think you guys also want to know if the hardware you buy will support the project. That is also a quality feature, because you all want new features and better software, that can only be programmed with sufficient funding of the project. Benjamin and I had quite a few debates how to set up the VESC-Project in a sustainable way. You don’t make decisions like that without debating every single aspect several times. You also look at other projects and try to understand why they manage certain things in a certain way. You look at problems that occurred in the past and find solutions preventing the same things to happen to your project. If everyone would use the same Brand for hard- and software, total confusion is pre-programmed. This confusion happened already, customers where unsure about differences in the products and several VESC-Domains existed, offering links to software downloads. Only the well informed customer knew the differences and the original source for software downloads. You always have to think from the perspective of a uninformed customer.

Frank

1 Like

But the VESC has already been out for years now… and customers ALREADY KNOW where to download it from, and it HASNT been confusing, and it HASNT been a mess, and it HAS been sustainable.

I think @mmaner pretty much already said everything that needs to be said but I don’t believe that the community is going to let you hear the end of it

I think you’re not really getting the message Trampa. Stick to your already existing products that everyone loves even though they are expensive and keep your hands out of the VESC world. Although I guess it’s already too late for that.

Either way, what you did was essentially a middle finger to the community and the community is going to repay that buy ridiculing you and not buying the product which is now disastrously overpriced anyway.

“To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction” -Newton

“What goes around comes around” -(idk)

“If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” -(idk)

^THERES A F*CKING REASON THOSE QUOTES EXIST

Thank you.

It has been sustainable for vendors, but not for the man who made it happen and who put thousands of hours into the code and HW design (because hardly anyone gave back a sufficient amount of donations). Vesc-domains have been grabbed, websites existed that gave the impression to be the original source, uninformed customers do not know the original source, they had do dig themselves through a jungle of information.

The fact that nothing has happened so far (which is not the case BTW) doesn’t mean nothing will happen in future. This is why you wear a belt when driving your car. Because if something happens it could be a catastrophic. So why take the risk? Crappy VESCs definitely had a negative impact on the brand VESC. People get frustrated if a product fails. If that product is branded VESC, part of this frustration will impact the brand for sure. This is why its comfortable to use another brand than your own to sell a product that is likely to fail. In the end it is a faulty VESC, not a faulty xyz! The forum here is full of VESC problems. For the uninformed customer a VESC is a risky invest, because many people had problems with crappy VESCs.

Every member of the community can make its own decision and like the fact that VESC is a TM - or not. I personally think that most people here do want the VESC-Project to be taken further and therefore will accept the fact that the project now rests on more solid foundations, which is imperative for the future of the project. There is a reason why most OS-Project have TMs. Why the hell on earth should the VESC-Project be an exception? The same risks exist, so the same steps need to be taken to prevent negative impacts. It’s a no-brainer.

Frank

Rude? I just explain why. This is not rude. Its at best repetitive. People throw accusations at me all the time. So what do you expect? I give an answer. I don’t get the point that people can’t except the fact that OS-Projects usually have a TM for a good reason. Why should the VESC-Project not have the same rights? In my eyes its imperative.

You always played things fair, I know that. If a project succeeds, its vulnerable to attacks and bad means, you can’t deny the fact. The TM is the only tool to assure a certain control over the use of the Brand. As you may have realized its Benjamins TM, because its his baby.

Did I say it was my idea to use DFs? No I didn’t. I said I debated the VESC 5 with him, namely the form factor and connector position, so its easy to design housings with good access to the connectors and good DFs cooling. People said I never did anything for the project, just popped up with money and hijacked the thing. Not true. I put a lot of effort in over a long period of time.

I personally think posting images like you did is a bit rude and suggestive.

Frank

1 Like

That’s excellent! I’m just wondering if i could please get a copy of the VESC 6 firmware thus far, since i made up some HW compatible with the VESC 6 pinouts only, and wanted to start playing with my hardware… :grimacing:

Thanks, Dimi

Dimitri, I send you a PM.

Frank

Can i have access too?

Hey @trampa is there a release date yet?

I guess i won’t get any access :slight_smile:

Buy from http://www.ollinboardcompany.com/product/direct-vesc-v2-0-pre-order

They have other models too that are proven to be the best for running high amp setups and foc.

2 Likes