New designed a motor mount for sale, looking for review

longer belt will result in a larger force that bends the mount (more levrage to bend), could also be a factor. But it smells liks some modification is needed in the design :slight_smile:

a switch in material would fix it easily.

You want to keep ferromagnetic materials away from the motor tho, if you can. I like aluminum.

i like aluminium too. 6061 would be overkill, but there are some other weather resistant aluminium alloys which are cheaper.

Mine is starting to bend, too. It explains why Iā€™ve had to re-adjust my belt tension more often than with my previous mount.

1 Like

Iā€™m running by belts very loose because I have dual idlers, they move about a third of an inch when I press on them. Just enough to never have belt slippage. I just think theyā€™re not designed to handle the stress.

that makes no sense, your belt transfers only forces in belt direction, perpendicular to the motor, so the length doesnt matter, only the width or the distance of the motor pulley from the mount.

why that? If you want to refer to the oddy current brake, that works with every conducting materialā€¦

1 Like

Well, what Im trying to point out here is that the further the motor is from the truck. The bigger levrage to bend the mount. Maybe that didnt Come across.

Since the bldc motor is a spinning msgnetic field, any ferromagnetics could cause an interference. In The mounts case its at the end of the field and really not intercepting, so its probably fine. But still.

That length shouldnā€™t affect anything, what would affect it though is how far out the pulley is on the shaft.

Ugh, this is really frustrating to see. These mounts shouldnā€™t bend so easily.

I have dual 6354 motors and dual idlers, my belts are loose and so far they seem ok BUT havenā€™t put that much miles on them! 10-15miles

But what I can say is that the metal is very very soft. These issues would be resolved if the material was switched for something little harder. I canā€™t see them lasting too long!!!

I will keep an eye on mines hope they stay straight.

I have about 40 miles on my mount. I run the pulley as close to the motor as possible.

Not to contradict you @suntorytime , but your mount is still a good distance from the pulley.

Pic of my setup for reference: 20181012_151334

It can should all it want, it does. Iā€™d draw up a picture with some force vectors on it butā€¦its likeā€¦ elementery physics. If the wheel exhibits retardation on the belt, where do you think that force goes when the motor tries to spin? Iā€™m not saying its one pecific direction, its many. but increacing the length of the axle does play a role. maybe a minor since i havnā€™t actually done any calculations, but its still there.

Sorry, every one, I did noticed the aluminum material is soft, and change already did.

1. with this same material, I change the mount thickness into 6mm instead of 4mm. already sent some 6mm version out this week.

2. if anyone bought my long version caliber mount, will find that itā€™s quality is very good. and the aluminum material is hard. I am consider user this for the short version mount now, just in this way, it need to have a 4us raise

1 Like

dude, you have a good 5mm to 10mm clearance, you could easily bring that down to 1 to 2mm. I have my belt drives running at 0.5mm clearance from the pulley to the mount.

1 Like

help, what I can not post and pictures here?

it show this: No space left on device @ io_write - /var/www/discourse/public/uploads/db149

Changing the material would be a much better option, this will also reduce any other scrapes and scratches the mount has due to hitting an object. Itā€™s definitely soft and chips easily.

Changing to 6mm is probably not a good idea. The motor shaft length will be reduced and could be a problem for 15mm pulleys. Also, the spacing for dual motor setups might be effected if you move from 4mm to 6mm.

I got same problem uploading might have to wait a bit and try again

I would gladly pay more $ for this mount if it was fabricated out of a higher grade aluminum. @dickyho when will you be making more short version mounts using the higher grade aluminum?

1 Like