My Trampa caught fire last weekend

I think it is important to use fuses!

That’s why I will go with:

• cell level fuses for each cell (tinned copper 21AWG)
  • small fuse for charging (4A const to charge with 3A)
  • bigger fuse for ESC (40A const - 80A peak)

I just had an idea for a enclosure. What if you made a long series of rectangles that fit your battery parallels, but then ontop of each one, you silicon rtv’d a plate on it lightly, if a cell group goes off, the fire/explosion would pop that top plate off, then direct the fire away from the rest of your batteries and board.

LMK about those PCBs. I’m very curious about that!

So should we simply rely on the battery wrapping to prevent a short happening here:

Diagram source

1 Like

I’m positive there would be good demand for these. There is very little products in the battery safety category for e-skate.

Lipo bags will help contain the fire somewhat, I have seen people test them on youtube and they still shoot some decent flames out the small gaps in the flap. Better than unconstrained I guess.

Limiting the oxygen will not put them out, once on fire they create their own oxidizer, they will burn in a vacuum! I think it can reduce the electrolyte fire but the lithium will keep burning. I heard the only way to put them out was too cool them down. Liquid nitrogen? The most practical way to contain a fire is a bucket of sand. Well that is not practical if your ridding a skateboard.

You can use a fish paper isolator just make sure nothing is touching it, this way if something heats up it will not compromise the pvc isolator.

Look at this pic, nothing is touching the isolator so even if the wire burns out it will not radiate enough heat to ignite the glue on the isolator.

4 Likes

Look up the video on youtube where they test lipo fires in lipo bags. Anything above 4s4Ah burns through the bag

Speaking of lipo fires…I’m thinking of a creative way of disposing of this… https://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/original/3X/6/3/63d24c1a8c96c52a45bc1a382e7d8a9e2d5009ea.jpg If anybody wants any materials tested against lipo fire you can send it to me…

3 Likes

Discharge slowly all the way to no charge then dunk in salt water for a few days. The voltage then should be close to zero. Trim off leads. Tape leads. Take to recycling center

That’s the right way…not the creative way :wink:

4 Likes

Oh ok, so DON’T build a little wooden boat to float the Lipo in a kiddie pool and shoot it with a pellet gun until it self destructs spectacularly and extinguishes itself? Noted.

@scepterr What is that from?

3 Likes

Was on an emtb, replaced with 18650 10S8P for client

2 Likes

wanna see that BOOOOOM!! :heart_eyes: #magicsmoke

1 Like

Don’t set them on fire, not even for science. There is enough pollution already…:bug:

3 Likes

Definitely don’t explode it, but make sure to wear a respirator when you totally don’t set it off. Lithium poisoning is no fun.

Agreed, but I do my part with my 10kwh PowerWall with salvaged 18650s charged with solar :wink: Earth owes me a fun day :rofl:

I’m building a battery pack for a new build out of a used pack ATM, I disassembled it yesterday but during this process the original wrap of each cells was torn apart when pulled the hotglue out, I dremeled the spot welded nickel strips out.

So I heated wrap them and ended up like this.

@kaly your solution is awesome, I’m thinking on a way to just use PVC or any plastic to make these small boards on top of the 4 cells.

3 Likes

If my car battery is full it just goes thru the nickel lol (0,5mm)

My batteries are individually contained as 3S batteries, wired in series. This is a Lipo setup but I am planning to build my 30Q 4p pack in the same fashion

Do you have a source for that number? Not saying I don’t believe you, but I just watched half a dozen lipo “fireproof” bag tests on YouTube and they seem to really help contain the fire

“Lots of smoke but no flame,” says one guy

“That bag is done. But it contained the fire”

3 Likes

I should have bought 2 from HobbyKing and make a test too. Could be interesting.