My Trampa caught fire last weekend

I used a Battery Support 60A BMS for only 1 month before it burnt out, the next 4 months I used the board with no BMS at all, however the balancing wires were still connected to each pack the BMS plug was there disconnected.

1 week before the roast I pulled up the enclosure and checked the voltage of each pack and the difference in between them was 0.02V maximum.

Glad you were unharmed :+1:t2:

1 Like

18650vused to have internal fuses but users demaned more capsity , so no space for fuses!!!b

You can still find cells with “CID” which is a current interrupt device which will “fuse” in overpressure situations.

2 Likes

This is a good guess, charging port can be dangerous if exposed. I recommend protecting it with a small fuse. I have 4A charger and I use 5A fuse for it.

1 Like

Could we do this in another way? Maybe if we fixed the wire right next to the solder, to take away the strain from the hardened part of the wire when the pack is flexing. Maybe with glue of some other way of fixing it without harden. Sort of like this:

(the line from the solder on the lower drawing to the left should have been one dot further to the left :slight_smile: )

That costumer service tho :smile:

1 Like

No way to tell if all packs were balanced correctly because you have 4 cells in parallel and you read the voltage as a whole not from each individual cell. Could have been like this 4.3 (cell_1) 4.3 (cell_2) 4.3 (cell_3) 3.9 (cell_4). There could be multiple possibilities and maybe 1 or 2 cells where going bad and they got to low and boom fire. This is why you see people burning there house down trying to parallel charge 4 lipos at once and 1 or 2 packs has bad ir. Just a thought!

Actually, you can tell if you have a bad cell even when they are in parallel that way. If any one of the parallel packs is discharging faster than the other packs, you know have an issue within that parallel pack.

I had this happen a lot when my cell fusing blew on some groups. It would discharge and charge faster than the others. Makes sense though.

1 Like

Shit didint think about that. Its been awhile since I parallel charged lol

Is there any way to prevent that ? Like put the battery pack in some sort of fireproof pocket ? I know it’s possible to buy bags to put LiPos in when charging them. Why not use the same thing when mounting the battery on the board ?

I’ve seen nobody do that yet, I wonder if there’s a logical reason that I don’t see.

Because battery bags don’t contain fires, at best they redirect the flames so then there is less collateral damage. If you actually had a fire proof air tight container, you would essentially have a bomb, since all the heat and pressure will build up inside the enclosure until it reaches breaking point.

Here is a friend’s board I was borrowing. The LiPo pouch cells were damaged during a ride and caught fire in my apartment. Burnt a hole clean through the aluminum enclosure. An onboard battery bag is not going to achieve anything significant.

I am going to make those style pcbs and sell if interested

3 Likes

got the same idea. making those PCBs

So sad for your lost dude, glad it happens outside…

Makes sense. My idea was more about containing the fire so it doesn’t spread. But after looking back at the pictures and seeing the size of the flames, it seems to be impossible.

The only solution would be to install this

But I’m not really sure that’s a good idea. :grin:

My batteries are permanently housed in “fireproof” bags. I suspect not many people do it because it can be difficult to find the right bag so it’s not overly bulky. I had to modify mine slightly for a good fit. Even then it still adds some bulk

A lipo bag essentially does 2 things: insulate the battery with fire-resistant non-flammable material, and more importantly, limit the supply of oxygen to the fire. Reduce the oxygen flux, and the flame is greatly reduced. The fire would quickly consume the oxygen in the bag and then nearly extinguish itself because the incoming air supply would be so little. It’s not airtight at all, but it does drastically limit the oxygen supply

Not only are the bags fire-resistant, but they add abrasion and puncture protection. You mention the lipos were already damaged. A protective bag might have prevented the damage in the first place

I see people try to make the argument that a “fireproof” bag is not going to do anything, and I don’t understand the logic. I put “fireproof” in quotes because I don’t expect it to fully contain a battery fire, but the damage is going to be a lot less. With how volatile and dangerous these batteries can be, you should be doing everything you can to implement extra safety measures

Do you have any pictures of your setup with the fireproof bags ? I’m curious to see how it looks like.

dude! sorry to hear about your loss, I share the same fear of this happening at the apartment or at work…

1 Like

It is the shock that transferred to the LiPos which caused the damage. The only thing that would have prevented that was a large amount of pading. A battery bag is designed for charging in a static environment and protecting against ‘hanger rash’. They aren’t designed to protect a battery against thousands of vibrations and impacts over the course of a 15 minute ride. I’m not doubting battery bags can slow down a fire, however that’s all they are really good for. Once that lithium is exposed, it WILL eventually combust. At best a battery bag will slow the fire, which I suppose is a desirable trait to an extent.