My first build, e-mtb trampa

You can use one of these for charging: http://www.progressiverc.com/parallel-6x-xt90-charge-cable.html

And one of these for balancing: http://www.progressiverc.com/parallel-6x-balance-adapter.html

You’ll have to disconnect your series connectors first, but at least you can leave the batteries on the board while you charge. This is what I’ve been doing with my 8s build (not sure if it’s the safest way to monitor voltage though). Just have the balance adapter hooked to a cheap cell meter. Most of the time I’ll charge all 5 batteries through one channel, unless I’m in a hurry then I’ll split two packs off to the other side.

1 Like

My first reaction: omg, thats shitload of cables and connectors… i hope u plug the end cable and start charging without fiddling with each cable every time

No it all just stays on the board lol. Would definitely like to come up with a cleaner looking way of monitoring cell voltage. Figured it was that, or have a separate cellmeter for each pack.

With it hooked up like this though, if I have one cell drop below the rest, I question whether the meter will really pick up on it. I’d hoped that the meter would scan all the packs for the lowest cells, but I’m assuming that’s not actually what’s happening.

Yeah, needs to be plugged in to the balance wires to monitor each cell, if yours is like mine it is 8s max.

Yeah this one’s 8s max as well, but it’s monitoring 8cells in five different packs simultaneously. Pretty sure they’re not designed for this.

does it give you 40 x 4.2-3.5v readings or 5 x… readings?

No, it just reads the same as it would with one 8s pack.

Seems to work fine for balancing multiple packs through the charger, so I’d hoped it would be the same case for monitoring them.

Please Stay on topic guys. #nohardfeelings

1 Like

How is this off topic? Aren’t you asking us for advice on charging and balancing your batteries?

Best of luck to you…

I’m sorry, don’t get mad. I know you started with a picture of your impressive build as an example for me. But the conversation was getting pretty chaotic and hard to follow. Maybe it’s was a little harsh to say…

@benjammin please tell me why you want to monitor your cells with one cell meter? Doesn’t your balance charger monitors each cell? If you are charging more batteries in parallel aren’t the cells balancing each other out? They become one big cell for the balance charger, right?

Yeah no worries man, shit’s confusing. You need a cellmeter for when you’re riding to know where your voltage is at. Like I said above, I’m still not sure what the best solution is for monitoring multiple packs at the same time while riding.

Perhaps someone else will chime in with a better understanding of this.

Oh you need it while riding, i understood you needed it for charging. Is that problem occuring that often that you need to monitor it while riding? Always tought that the cells discharge pretty evenly when in use…

But anyways, that post you made with your pictures, you proposed to buy those 2 parallel cables(xt90 and jst). Isn’t the paraboard doing the same without being that flexible? I understand why that would be easier in use but i think i don’t mind getting the packs out of the board for charging…for now :yum:

You need a cellmeter on your board to know when to go back home. Run 'em down too low and they’re toast.

Yeah that board will do the same thing. Just makes it so you don’t have to pull the packs off to charge.

I will use a battery monitor in %. Probably going for the low guido’s technique of charging the packs via the jst’s. but i’m not sure. Today the waterproof case arrived as the first part i’ve ordered. But i’m pretty bummed because it is probably 1cm to low to fit a 4 packs in it…stupid!

In order of a too small battery box i’m considering searching for batteries that would fit this box. The box is 14,3 x 20,3 x 7,85 cm.

What about this pack? Thought of using Just 2 in series with each other. Would that be a good solution?

Thats not really true. It depends on your definition of ages I guess. Balance leads are usually 22AWG Which is good for 7A and thats more than most chargers can output anyway. All my chargers are 5A max and i think the biggest battery I have takes 4 hours to charge. Which I think is reasonable. Total cost of two B6 chargers $20 and a 10A fast charger for 12S is like over $200. I know what I’d do.

Hey low’s, can you tell me if it’s possible to do the same with 4s batteries in series and charge them with a B6?

Also i’m hoping somebody could tell me if the ZIPPY Flightmax 8400mAh 4S2P 30C LiFePo4 Pack In series would be as good as the zippycompact 4s 6200mah 40c in series?

Yeah of course you can.

Id use two b6 chargers set for 4S each.

And 8400mah is better every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

So you suggest not to use one charger, one paraboard and 2 batteries? Is it that bad? If so i better didn’t buy the paraboard.