My first and last build (for now) Hi5ber Jalapeno | Torqueboards Direct Drive | 12s4p Samsung 30q | FOCCBOX Unity | Hoyt puck controller

Doubt you’ll get plug and play joy unfortunately. Just doesn’t happen lol. Phase wiring connectors will most likely be different between the unity and the drives but simple to sort out. Cross that bridge when you come to it my friend. Word of advice though, change the motor connectors not the unities to avoid any warranty issues with enertion or make some adaptors. Plenty of threads on here that cover all that. Happy reading.

3 Likes

Good to know. I do low voltage by trade so swapping connectors shouldn’t be much of an issue. Thanks again for all the quick help guys! My tax return is gonna hit around the same time as my bday (late April) and I always get a little cash (30 years old and my family still spoils me) so I think ill start ordering goodies then. Want to hold off for any innovations that might come. I got my Meepo to get me around and it does the job brilliantly so I am in no rush to drop 2k but god damn I want that Jalapeno deck in my life already!

3 Likes

I’ve got 2 meepos. Great cheap option for a pre built. One of them is running twin focboxes and an arbor drop through deck. My favourite shopping trolley. The other is for noobs and the kids. Can’t beat them for value for money. I will say though you will not believe the increase in torque and speed once you get that 12s set up. @Battosaii and I have very similar builds due to me blatantly copying his first version before he went mental and chucked another set of motors on it. Very fast is what you get with 12s regardless of the drive system. Hope you’re ready lol

3 Likes

I’m pretty heavy yeah but most boards have more than enough power to make my fly haha

4 Likes

I can’t say for sure, but I would assume that the the DD have 5.5 bullets, where the unity only has 3.5

Dexter has used 5.5s consistently for the last forever, I don’t see why he would change it this time around 🤷🤷

Fortunately, if you’re no good at soldering like I am, it’s relatively easy. Just heat up the 5.5, melt the solder into it, and press the 3.5 mm right into it. Test it to ensure the connection won’t break when you give a decent tug on it, and it should be fine.

3 Likes

If you’re on a budget, you should aim to be a comfortable margin under it. There’s always going to be some part, tool, tax, or shipping you didn’t account for.

3 Likes

Nice build.

I think both front and rear trucks are 50deg. “Both front and rear truck as well as our 50 Degree Baseplate.”

If your going over 25mph I would dewedge the rear truck with an angled base plate. To prevent the risk of speed wobbles and stay safe.

You can make or buy one, start at -5 deg and see how it goes. If you really want to go 40mph -10 deg might be better.

2 Likes

The signal will only be a real problem if the receiver is fully enclosed inside a carbon box, hence forming a Farraday-cage. My Vescs and receiver sit inside an Aluminium box (same problem usually) but I have added several holes (mostly towards the wooden deck to prevent this.

2 Likes

OK guys I just purchased everything!!! My wallet is hurting but my soul screams with excitement! Ill be posting pics as they roll in.

4 Likes

The first piece of the puzzle just rolled in.

She fits nicely.

The hype is real!

4 Likes

OK so I am buying all the connectors I need to connect the FOCBOX Unity to the Torque boards DD kit. I was wondering if making small jumpers with the necessary adapters would work instead of soldering it in so its not permanent and I don’t risk voiding either warranties. I know I need 5.5mm female to 3.5 mm male I am just not sure if making a jumper will have a big effect on my resistance or power output or w/e you wanna call it lol. I am no electrical engineer.

what is a jumper? Just make connectors. buy make 3.5 and female 5.5 and solder those together, and then connect as usual

2 Likes

Jumper just means a short wire. Im thinking like 2 inches of 12 gauge wire in between.

You wont have to perma solder anything, do those two connections with each other and now you have a wire to connect the two so you avoid ruining the warranty

1 Like

OK i got it now. Just found this. I don’t know why I didn’t see it before.

I can’t wait to finally start building!
1 Like

Board came in!

4 Likes

why not just buy these directly from diy? https:///collections/electrical-connectors/products/wire-extensions-3-5mm-to-5-5mm

Daaamn! That board is dope!

How flexy is it?

Mounting that enclosure will take away the flex… :frowning:

A little update while I wait an eternity for the Direct Drive kit and the FOCBOX unity… After receiving all my goodies and looking at how people made these adapters, im surprised no one has done them like this.

So instead of cutting that half off like the guy in my previous post did, I took a drill bit and wallowed out the 5.5mm side so the 3.5 slides right in with perfect tolerance. I then heated up the whole unit and pooled solder into the little hole until it was full. It looks much better than the ones I have seen done before. My ghetto ass work station.

3 Likes

Well I probably would if I didn’t already order the pieces, but you can get the required pieces and have a ton left over for less than 16 dollars. Although with a build thats already over 2k, its kinda irrelevant lol.

1 Like