Monster Board | Trampa HolyPro 35º | 80100 180kv 8kW | FatBoy SS Gear Drive | 12S 3P 18Ah | Dual FocBox

Is there such a thing as precision progressive springs?

Eliminate any dampa sqeaks with silicone grease

I don’t have dampas, only springs now :slight_smile:

I don’t have any spring squeaking, I just tight them until the hex screw is flat to the deck, so the spring retainers have a little room agains the deck, it migh help you with the squaking noise, otherwise lithium grease

Maybe the dampas squeaking against the cups, plastic and rubber so perhaps a little silicone grease

Like I said, I don’t use dampas anymore only plain springs :wink:

Thanks for the wink, you should get that eye checked :wink: It might be your knees but I think you’re too young for that

1 Like

So as my Urban carver tire blown, and somehow the whole board feels too small for me and somehow too high with 7" tires and bit unpredictable I thinking of selling it with drivetrain and motors :stuck_out_tongue:

Now back to this project. I moved all electronics, mounted mounting plate for dual FocBox case (now running motors 90A/each) mosfet temperature never jumped 40ºC (104ºF) running for like 40 minutes non stop with 20km/h avg (stoplight waiting) reached top speed, climbed many hills like its freaking nothing just one problem… At higher speed without dampas every small bump is amplified like 10 times which makes you feel like board will kick you off the deck. Also another problem need a way better grip tape on it original is so shitty today several times my leg slid off… Plus thinking of making rubbery leg stoppings so that I would not run my leg too much front because then I start to rub my front of feet to wheel (47 eur shoes…)

@Eboosted I think this next will be interesting for you too :wink:

So today I had idea which I tried out and proved to be liable solutions. Idea is simple to make dampas more squeezable I drilled a small hole around 6mm though dampa and then used 10mm bit to make hollow space inside top/bottom bubble of dampa this made top/bottom part squeezable much easier. I put them on front truck (still no dampas in the end) straight test out felt like it turns but not that much like before. So I went out and tested in street immediately pushed throttle to see how it feels on high speed… No more instant wobble which wouldn’t make fun riding board. The turning radius is bit lower like 10-20% but that’s more than enough to ride on streets without bindings. I could had drilled more into central bubble but I wanted to have center still harder. I have another idea but I will try it bit later, as I want to give this setup a several day worth of testing (My commute consist of 12km bicycle high way road so I can go fast long straight distances if no bicyclist are in the way :smiley: )

Another problem I found out after riding several days long distances that my back feet is getting numb after half hour of riding non stop… I don’t know maybe my sneakers are bit too hard or etc maybe someone had similar problem and knows a good fix? Maybe its related riding without dampas or I don’t know… It just annoys as I don’t really have time/place to stop in the middle of highway :smiley:

Oh and here are some pictures of current setup :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Wow I need to try that!

I’m drilling my dampas tomorrow, I might try first on the rears only, but I want them to feel like to dampas, so maybe I’ll use a 10mm drill bit from the begining.

Do you have a picture of the reworwed dampas?

Dont try if u want to have safe fingers… I have now 0.5cm crater on my finger :smiley: Drill small pilot hole, and then use 10mm only for the top and bottom bubble leave middle for the dampa effect :slight_smile:

Idea is to make hollow top/bottom ball so it would be squishy on fingers

Take a picture if you can

1 Like

Tomorrow, in bed already :smiley:

Yellow dampas in the front, inner position, and only springs in the back outer position, is the best thing i have done to my Urban Carver :grinning: drilling holes must be the next thing to try

Carver is bit easier to turn, and I was riding it without dampas at all so it was pretty good for up to 30-40km/h

Speed comparison before with no dampas and with dampas same route but bit higher traffic compared to yesterday

1 Like

Here is some pictures I took when I was making dampas for the rear… I decided that I am not going to make U-turns on streets so stability is more important for me so I put them in there and damn it was worth it :smiley: full speed/bumps or etc zero ducks given…

Also replaced the grip tape now its way better

1 Like

So today went on my commute. Damn it was amazing compared to previous rides now I could go much higher speeds and still be stable, of course turning is bit harder but stability is amazing. Here is strava pictures by today

4 Likes

Yup, dampas are amazing. Only downside, I am getting used to my top speed now that it is so easily reached. Need to go 12s. As for turning tight, just jump.

Great idea with hollowing out the dampas. How about using an old soldering iron bit to melt away the middle of the top and bottom bubbles? Sure the gases given off would be horrible and possibly toxic, but generally safer than trying to drill freehand.

1 Like

I am riding without bindings somehow don’t feel safe riding with bindings on the streets :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe in forest are OK but not in streets with cars :smiley:

@JonathanLau1983 I didn’t had any soldering iron at hand which I could use melting plastic but thought about using some metal pin heated by blowtorch and inserted, but felt bit lazy to go outside and do this thing :smiley:

thanx for sharing, will give this a try to…

also thinking of changing the base plate angle a little bit between front and rear

My deck has lost a lot of the (torsional) flex by the battery undertray wich should reduce speed wobbles as well. (still finishing the build)

1 Like