Metasurf Direct Drive ?!

Gotcha good to know

yea, one of the bearings looks ruffed up from the spacer, doesn’t help the spacer ends are tipped.

i just put one speed washer in between the stock spacer and bearing, hopefully the spacer will rub against the washer instead of the bearing (??)

Ya get rid of the spacer… I am finding that the trick is not to overtighten. I turn it a little see if theres any wiggling. if yes tighten a little more else stop. Don’t tighten to point where washer is actually touching

yea that kind of applies in general. don’t over torque just because you can.

Meh, ideally you have just the right amount/size of spacers that you can torque it down as hard as you like and it will lock the wheel onto the hangar with just about zero play and free spin. It’s never a good idea to run without the right size spacers and nuts tightened down all the way, because the small amount of play between the axle and bearings, side to side and all around forces on loose bearings in the wheel cores all cause additional wear and additional unnecessary unpredictability in grip breaking into slides. Even with a direct drive, I wouldn’t feel comfortable with my wheel/bearings not able to be fully torqued down.

That’s just my experience, and why I think a lot of people’s bearings die out prematurely, why Abec11 came out with built-ins, and also why zealous bearings exist.

3 Likes

I also Always Torque down real hard, as far as my understanding goes it only has upsides.

As an update, Metasurf is sending me new hardware for free. Has anybody else bent their stuff yet? @jasonbhuynh @thisguyhere?

2 Likes

yup, bent.

i haven’t measured with a square but for sure it’s bent.

don’t have photos, had to factory reset my phone.

1 Like

I have 2 bent kingpins that I just discovered today, ill upload pictures in a bit IMG_2405 IMG_5979

4 Likes

Woah. Thanks for being guinea pigs… while the idea and price were great… to good to be true i guess

2 Likes

Wow are those stainless steel???

If they are then I’d guess they’d have to be 316 SS, that’s the only soft enough alloy that comes to mind.

But my guess is just some shiny coated crockpot alloy.

Probably lead axles :joy_cat:

Is it really the KP or rather the bore on the baseplate that egged out?

2 Likes

It think you are on to something. The base plate king pin hole looks egged. Pull that king pin out and put it flat on the table look for it bent rolling it on the table. But it looks like a base plate to me. pics can cause optical illusion tho

2 Likes

@anon42702729 @Frenchy I’m not actually sure which one it is, it might be the base plate. Any tips on how to remove the kingpin? Rubber mallet?

That or a dead blow hammer.

1 Like

A rubber mallet is perfect but a hammer will do. Just swing it nice and accurate not to hard should come out. Maybe try and put a sweater around or something the king pin to help from killing the threads if your swing isn’t the greatest

Anyone have pics of the motor hub? Wonder if could be drilled out for a 12mm axle. I have tons that could be altered if u want to try. Could alter the axle with dies and maybe a dremel on the hanger aluminum. I have like every die you could possibly want and I have taps too. You could thread the motor hub maybe and do a reverse thread like I do

2 Likes

I think the square key is 11mm IMG_8867 IMG_2531

1 Like