Metasurf Direct Drive ?!

That’s an ouch. After all, it was for science…

Yeah totally for science! We knew this was going to happen, just waiting on it to happen tbh

3 Likes

hm…then will it be possible to swap out bearings in existing motors for the new trucks with thicker axles?

Be cool to see the inside of the motors and we could figure if they could be put on a wider axle because the plan of going to a harder alloy or titanium I don’t think is a solution and they’re not going to get a strong enough 8mm axle that can survive all the leverage. Luckily it didn’t snap if it already is a hardened steel as they tend to snap not bend

2 Likes

I might try grinding the motor key so that it sits flush against the hangar… I’ll post pics once I get back

Not a big surprise but hopefully they will address it now. Like to see the motor stripped down though.

That was fast

2 Likes

For reference, I was 185 ish lbs with gear and backpack.

2 Likes

So it only took 50 miles to bend these trucks.

So far, I would say these motors are okay for what they are. Torque was as expected for 65 kV motors. They were not as strong as Raptor 2’s, however. I reckon that they would be a bit better if only they were sensored. At 10s, 65 kV is just too damn slow. 12 or 13s suits these motors a lot better.

Speaking of sensors, I do not recommend riding these un-sensored, especially up hills. I’m not sure if it’s a quirk with the Flipsky vesc, but they required a good amount of speed to detect rotor positioning, and if you were not careful and didn’t push fast enough, they would cog and throw you off the board. This would also cause problems trying to climb hills, because once you hit under the 8 mph threshold, they would again, cog and come to a complete stop.

Braking is pretty strong at speed, but low end is extremely lacking, but again, I suspect this is more of an issue with the fsesc and not the motor itself. I had the same problem using the Raptor 2 hubs on the fsesc.

Further testing would need to be required using more reliable motor controllers. I didn’t realize this was more of a vesc issue and less of a motor issue, so I didn’t prepare any focboxes before I bent the trucks and returned them back to Sofu. :rofl:

4 Likes

Decided to grind down the motor key…I wonder if this center piece can be replaced with one with a 12mm hole… or even just bored out IMG_8867 IMG_2531

Gap and motor key before grinding IMG_4457 IMG_3352

30 min and 2 lungs full of aluminum later. I think I cut a little bit into the axle… like .5mm … didn’t expect it to be so soft that my shitty cutting discs would be able cut it that easily IMG_3547 IMG_4597

Edit: I can’t wait for 10mm axles at least. In the meanwhile I’ma test these out and maybe run them off a curb lol

9 Likes

recommendation: 12mm solid steel thru-axle (unthreaded)

2 Likes

I’m not getting this, for me I just need a small movement off the line to get going. im using foccers tho on 12s

did a hill test the other night and it was great.

I really gotta update my build post…

2 Likes

I just got my set to work tonight.
Did a quick test on 10s lipos with focboxes running foc.
I did have to push start to get it rolling. It didn’t feel different from the last time I ran an uncensored though, give it a little bump and it rolls fine but yes… I really miss hall sensors. Once it got rolling it was really smooth. The brakes didn’t feel too soft, I wonder if the softness was due to the focboxes vs flipsky 6.6 duals.

See Here: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/almost-no-brakes-in-foc-12s3p-30q-battery-flipsky-6-6-meepo-hubmotors-style/72170

Will be swapping out to 12s lipo and finding some hills hopefully this weekend if it doesn’t ran here

2 Likes

Yeah I’m pretty sure the shitty brakes were due to the fsesc (even though I had them set at like -10 battery and -60 motor or something). But yeah they’re most definitely bent, you can tell just by looking at them…

Which is why I wrote that I need to re-test using focboxes because most of these problems are probably due to flipsky fsesc’s.

2 Likes

on topic of braking. On focboxes, brake was smooth until the very last moment where it seems to completely cut out. Guessing this is a function of sensorless as the motor looses track of positioning under certain speed threshhold. Another thing to consider when on slope.

1 Like

I’m really curious here. Do your logs show you actually hitting the -60 motor -10 battery? Trying to understanding why the F6.6 is being soft.
Is it that its not pulling the amps from the motors that matches the setting or is it just actually pulling the amps from the motor but just processing it differently… (Is this even possible…?)

Hi! To unswer your question in my case. After increase the braking from - 50/-6 to - 60/-11, on each vesc, it does brake now. I think fsec 6.6 has some soft limits so you need to give it more room to work. By the telemetry o can say that mlst of the time it brakes generating - 5, - 6A each vesc for 80% of the medium strong brakes. Once I pushed harder and got - 17 total from 2 VESCs.

2 Likes

interesting… does fudging with the throttle curve help?

Well I am usogn a firefly which does have a lot of throttle so no needs of adjust the throttle curve. While I when I was using a nano-x I alway use the adjusted curves. Anyhow before to adjust you need to reach a setting that allow you to brake. Otherwise won’t help anyway.