MAD Storm...The attempt to create the Most Powerful Direct Drive_LoL

I blue parts, both mild steel and stainless. if its not even a mild steel I wouldn’t worry about it rusting unless it’s exposed to a lot. I just sit stuff on my gas grill and works nicely but I do it more for looks.

how will you get the big bearing off @rey8801

2 Likes

What type of stainless steel did you use? If it is hardened heating it to these temperatures and quenching with cause it to lose strength and become tougher, meaning it will bend easier but will be harder to snap

No it’s a mild steel to be ferromagnetic. So it needs to be blued

As you suggested I removed the rear edge so the bearing slide from the back. I hope it won’t get out though from there but should be fine. Do you quenching the parts afterwards?

My bad so you are talking about the can? I thought you were discussing the axle

No the axle is hardened stain steel. Won’t do anything on it. I will just quench the ends that I will mill

1 Like

Do you know the material number of the steel? I’m trying to find the best steel to use as I’m paranoid about axles snapping thanks to all those metasurf and diyeboard trucks

1 Like

No I don’t know but I don’t think that is nothing of special. Probably C45 hardened steel.

I think I have left over motorcycle oil but not used one. I also so people using vegetal oil but I guess engine oil is better

Okay thank you

1 Like

I don’t quench the parts in anything just blue and done. there are some ferromagnetic stainless steels I blue them too.

confused by what you say because the pic shows the bearing retaining wall on the outside so if the stator is on you cant get the bearing on or off no?

It’s just because I did not finish to modify the part. Now is gone. IMG_20190319_010008

Although I now realised that I fix the pipe to the hanger with a screw so I will need to remove the stator anyway if I want to change the bearing :sweat_smile: I could leave the wall that was keeping my bearing really well locked.

4 Likes

Hooo yes we want :yum: ! I’m 100% following your feeling and thinking about that :grin:

5 Likes

Really liking it so far

So the only thing holding the torque of both motors to the is that M6(?) screw? It goes all the way through the axle?

Thread locker will surely be applied too

1 Like

The pipe is hold in place mainly by a m4 screw that goes directly into the truck hanger no axle, plus retailer loctite between the pipe and the axle. The stator to the pipe has keyway and retainer loctite.

1 Like

Do you think that will be able to handle Bergmeister wheels?

Sure. Planning too actually. First I will use mad Fury with 60Kv with short AT bergmeister wheels. I can’t wait. For the MAD Storm only modification need it is to get smaller Kv motor. These are 85Kv.fine for 85-90mm wheels, more will be too fast. Planning of ordering a pair of 60Kv.

1 Like

IMG_20190324_005555 IMG_20190324_005623

Getting closer. Left side fine done. I am thinking of living the colour raw. We will see after blueing if I like the contrast.

14 Likes

Looks really nice. How are u going to blue them? On the gas stove is easy. Maybe clean with acetone or not in my experience makes little difference. The black oxide screws always seem to rust n bluing stainless screws is nice.

image https://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/original/3X/7/e/7eb42c50e3ac4cf845f9969b2183e369b510df98.jpeg Urs is different than I thought and if the bearing wall is on the inside I think u have nothing securing it. Think u have to do as in ur pic

2 Likes