MAD Storm...The attempt to create the Most Powerful Direct Drive_LoL

i think I am going to use a torch and then quenching in motor oil. I know I won’t get and even surface but yeh that what I have at the moment. The screws I ordered all stainless steel, just waiting for them to come. But not planning to use the skate in rain anyway.

For the stator pipe, yeh I removed the rear flag as you suggested it but indeed now I do not have nothing at the back. Now is too late to change it. I have a wall to stop it in the inside but I have seen other motor with nothing out side. I will use loctite to keep it there and make a strong thin wall with epoxy outside. If it doesn’t work I will remake the pipe but not looking forward for it. Then I did not really got how you can mechanically secure the bearing if you only have a wall inside. The only solution I see is to have an additional component either attached to the rear pipe or to the central hanger.

Could you make a piece that keeps it on place be holding the smaller bearing race in place. Something that sits on the truck hanger or on the stator pipe

1 Like

Yes I can. wanted to avoid to gain space but I actually I saved a lot of space at the end so few mm each side shouldn’t be a problem. Ok I will make a really simple clamp for it.I could even print it. Since it will only keep the bearing in place. Like a spacer, but I will make in alu this time.

Maybe even a washer, it could be <2mm thick. I wouldn’t print though as it may crack/split from vibrations

1 Like

Washer is difficult so big but I will have a look. Machine 1mm disc is not so handy. Possible but I will then do it on the CNC then

1 Like

Quenching is a hardening process while bluing is just protective. You probably don’t want the metal hardened as it’ll be more likely to crack or slightly warp in the temp shock. The part would then be harder in the magnetic circuit and have a harder time switching polarity and increase iron losses. (Although it’s behind the magnets and really won’t see much switching and likely will just be worse at containing the magnetic field. The milder the steel the better. You just want an oxide coating and can get that from just bluing and air cooling

U can glue the bearings and imagine you plan to but the retaining fluid will eventually break down and the bearing needs some walls so it won’t slide off to the outside or inside. Your design is similar to the raptor or mellow boards I think. Theres bearing that have a wall integrated into them and maybe easier.

1 Like

Well I will read more but for blueing still that what I found. You heat it up until you get the colour you want, like dark grey. then quenching the parts in oil, vegetable or better engine oil. That what I found. I used mild steel and is it rather ferromagnetic. As @pat.speed suggested, I will recreate the clamp with a 1mm ring behind the bearing. The front is well lock, is the rear that without the wall is not well held in place. I will put the something. Not a big deal. Just more machining.

2 Likes

And maybe need a bearing wall for big bearing on the bell if not already

If u made the bell a single machined part and not with the plate bolted on the outside it would be a lot more metal that would be lathed down, and I’m not sure how you even have things, but would allow better precision and strength. Extruded steel with a plate bolted on is maybe mechanically fine but then again maybe it’s fraught with machining risks and work too. If one piece you could machine it lighter, stronger, and more precise. Get some crazy small airgap n make a better motor.

1 Like

Bearing has an internal wall from the bell. The bell is a single mild steel piece. The bolt from the outside are for the pulley. I did separately otherwise the metal to be machined would be too much and a waste for me. The two parts are really tight together. Probably less then 0.1mm between the two. I had to use an industrial grade lathe to machine those. My mini lathe was screaming…too strong and too big metal piece. With small steel piece is ok, but for big one I used the big brother. Like 1.5 tons of lathe. I love it. Everything feels like butter.IMG_20190320_175937

6 Likes

Been a while but this weekend I spent all the free time on it. I wanted ti give it a burst otherwise it will never happen. I would say 70% done. One side spin better then the other. I have to check why one is better centered. I made both in the same way. Anyhow now I need to blueing the can and probably paint it if the colour contrast at the end is not what I want. Then the axle step down and that’s it. This thing is heavy. Almost 3.5kg…the motor can in steel are massive.

IMG_20190408_003006 IMG_20190408_003039 IMG_20190408_003103 IMG_20190408_003117 IMG_20190408_003132

16 Likes

yeah, i was quite shook when i calculted everything for my drive.

Do you mean the weight?

Looks fantastic. You could take some polishing paste and make it mirror finish. Don’t even have to tkae it off the axle, just spin and motors and rub it with cloth smeared with polishing paste.

Are you going to step the axle or just use 12mm ID bearings?

6 Likes

I still have to blueing the steel can so the finish will be gone anyway. I will polish it before do that. I will make it spinning on the late and make it shining. I wish I won’t need to cover this metal but otherwise the can will rust over the time.

2 Likes

yes weight. Aluminium is half the weight, but you lose the magnetic properties.

Actually more than the weight that I was aspecting it. I was surprise of the magnetic field. With the steel can the outside is not magnetic at all. It really stops everything. While inside the magnetic field is so strong. Never felt something like that.

3 Likes

how thick is your can?

And yes step down to 10mm

The steel part 3mm thick

3 Likes

just clear coat it after polishing:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: