Lysk8 | Voodoo XL | Caliber | 83mm Flywheels | Alien 6355 190kv 2200W | Single Drive | 10SP3 Li-ion | VESC

thanks @elkick for the offer, been in contact with Attila yesterday via email and he as well told me about the new version, will keep it in mind and see how it goes now.

No I havenā€™t, the insert itself came loose again on me. If it completely comes out I could glue it more easily though, but Iā€™m not gonna risk it breaking again when I have to dissasemble anythin, so Iā€™m also gonna send it in for a replacement. Itā€™s already being taken care of as well :smiley:

Do you have any news? Iā€™m sending mine back but I canā€™t get the motor pulley from the shaft! That 648 is some heavy stuff, Iā€™ve been torching it for 5 minutes now and it wonā€™t budge. Any tips?

Get a gear puller (something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-41670-Jaw-Gear-Puller/dp/B004BL86WS)

Every car supplies shop should have them for 10-20 bucks.

they are worth it, you will need them oftenā€¦

Then apply a little bit of heat and much mechanical force and it will just pop off.

I have one: problem is, the clearance between the pulley and the mounting plate is about 1mm, canā€™t get anything under the pulley

In this case i see no possibility without damaging the pulley.

Well, maype you can apply the puller on the outer rim but i think it wont grip there.

1 Like

that sucks man! You got the pulley as well from esk8.de? On their web page they say you have to glue the pulley, to remove it, you have to use heat. They donā€™t say much more, maybe @elkick can help? Got a pulley from ebay with grub screws (see the link in my first post here).

I pulled out the insert again on the first test ride, it looked good in the beginning but didnā€™t hold up. I might not have cleaned it well enough I think (some fat left maybe) which might be the reason why it didnā€™t hold up, but anyway, I did send the mount back on Friday. Hope to get the new one soon. As well have an enertion motor mount coming in :slight_smile:

Hope you get it sorted out man!

Thanks for the reply. I couldnā€™t see int he pictures, but I figured you had th epulley from esk8.de Iā€™ll give heat another try but Iā€™ve been torching that thing and it wouldnā€™t budge.

For the stubborn motor pulley, with the drive wheel, belt and motor assembled, and of course the motor grub screws completely loose, try grabbing the drive wheel and motor and work them back and forth using the belt to torque on the pulley. Thatā€™s the only way Iā€™ve been able get some off these pulleys of without destroying them. I guess as a last resort, you could loosen or remove the pulley grub screws and ride it until the pulley comes loose. Be careful though!

1 Like

nice build! :slight_smile: if you should ever run into annoying rattling with that kind of enclosure attachment to the board, I can recommend rubber cylinders that I used on my boards before I went full carbon:

2 Likes

Itā€™s a pulley without grub screws, completely glued to the shaft.

So clean and low profile, I really like it!

thanks man! :slight_smile: yes, I for sure saw your builds, awesome stuff you do! I really liked the idea of a hanging / floating enclosure and it seemed the most practical thing for me to do as well.

Iā€™ve been looking for some rubber spacer but didnā€™t find them in the local warehouse, where did you get them? Since my box has a bottom and a top it seems to be quite sturdy. There are four screws where the whole box is hanging on and there is 6 more screws holding the box together. I might try to get rid of a few of them in the future.

Iā€™m also thinking about sinking the box into the board a bit, not sure about it yet, but the board is 1,6 cm thick (9layers). So I guess it wont hurt to take off a bit to at least get rid of a bit of concave. Still planning to keep it shiny, really like the reflections of the board color in the enclosure.

Well, for now Iā€™m actually looking forward to ride it a bit :wink: still waiting on the motor mount :unamused:

OK, got the new esk8.de motor mount, looking ok.

Did put all my stuff together, reconfigured/checked all the VESC settings and attached my new mini remote. (maybe too many changes at once)

Been bench testing now and have the following problem: When I pull the trigger / accelerate harsh, like fast to full throttle there is 60% chance that it just accelerates as it should, in the other 40% I get a rattling noise and the motor actually spins backwards with harsh vibrations.

Not sure what this is about, VESC settings look ok to me. I as well checked motor connectors + motor wires and VESC motor wire connections. It as well seems that this only happens when I try to accelerate quickly.

Here is the real time data, look at the three spikes on the right, the most right spike is the one where the motor actually stutters / rattles and spins backwards (as well as the third spike from the left).

Motor Detection Results: Integrator limit: 99.59 BEMF Coupling: 767.10

VESC Settings:

Not sure what this is about, but I donā€™t like it. Thought about the belt tension, but it actually also happens without a belt, motor spinning freely.

Some of you guys can help me out?

If you push and pull the motor wires are they firm? Does the motor look good when looking into it? it seems like a motor problem or at least on mine it was a motor sensor problem, that made it spin backwards after a certain point, are you using sensors? if yes try running the motor with sensorless config. Also you could take a screenshot to the rotor position graph.

Itā€™s a sensor less 190kv 2200W motor from APS. I donā€™t see anything under the rotor position graph, do I need to have a motor with sensors to see anything there? The motor looks good, like new, it has been going just approx. 12km so far.

Another screen shot from the Current/Duty: all is going well when I accelerate slowly, as well then another two times when I hit the trigger hard and then again (last spike to the right) some shit happens.

1 Like

OK, Iā€™m tempted to just ignore the issue I have on the bench for now. I finally had the time for a real test ride and all is looking good and working well :grinning:

distance: 23km, max speed: 38km/h, battery voltage after the run: 35.2 Volts

Might do some more tests with breaking, it sounds like the belt is skipping when I break hard but I actually think itā€™s coming from the motor, not so sure.

As well need to find some more nice routes around here, the road conditions here are just horrible in parts.

I as well need to read up on bushings, the red cali standard bushings are 89A blood orange if I got that right, they seem a bit soft though.

1 Like

Pitstop: Meanwhile more than a 100kā€™s done :smiley: siiiiiick f*ckn sh**t - having fun!!

• electronics still sitting nice and snug
  • esk8.de motor mount holds perfect and is rock solid
  • vesc settings are working great
  • no heat problems
  • tightened up the cali standard bushings and I actually quite like them so far
  • top speed (flat) 38kph with a full charge, at around 50% charge more like 35kph
  • brings my setup to something like 80% to 85% efficiency
  • range is around 27km

Overall quite happy with the build, still having stuff to play with:

• motor pulley comes loose from time to time
  • @whitepony indeed the enclosure is rattling a bit in times (not one of the top priorities for now though)
  • still playing with the tightness of the belt, seems to be ok now, have tooth skipping only while breaking really hard, tend to call it ABS

Like to get a few more kphā€™s out of it, was thinking about a higher KV motor, other wheel pulley (33 tooth, 15mm), other motor pulley (10mm bore, 15mm, 16 tooth) or just bigger wheels.

Not so sure yet, wondering about efficiencyā€¦ - anyway keep on rolling!

1 Like

I changed my VESC setting ā€œMotor Maxā€ from 60A to 80A and that seems to bring a bit more speed, better acceleration and better hill climbing. I get to 40kph with a full charge now but then fall back to 37kph when charge is around or below 50%. I didnā€™t bother setting it to these 80A, which my Motor is supposed to be able to handle because I though my battery can only output 60A anyway. As I understand it now the VESC is somehow transforming higher voltage to higher amps, even though I donā€™t understand it fully.

I feel this is already quite a improvement, but still would rate efficiency ā€œonlyā€ with 80% to 85%. I think itā€™s likely a lot of factors which affect efficiency:

• bigger wheels tend to keep speed better than smaller ones
  • smaller belt (9mm or even 12mm) might have less friction (especially while already up to speed)
  • smooth asphalt (which I donā€™t have much around)
  • better wheel bearings (might try my swiss super 6 at some point)
  • softness of the wheels

Any ideas what else would impact efficiency guys? How would the motor itself have a impact here?

I as well think it is quite a subjective value. When I leave the house here I have around 5kā€™s where I cannot pull the throttle too hard, so when I get to the areas where I can speed with smooth asphalt (after around 9kā€™s) my battery voltage is already down a bit, having more mAh would help me there.

Going to measure my speeds with my phone on the next runs to see if there is a remarkable difference to my Garmin Dakota 20.

I was trying to think of a easy test case we could all use to measure efficiency, but the more I think about it, the more I think it will always be just a subjective value anyway.