Li ion with no bms?

I went from 12s Lipo with 230kv motors to 10s Li-ion with 190kv motors and gave up a lot of power on the low end and abt 8mph on the top end.

Shouldnā€™t you have done the motors the other way? 190kv at 12s etcā€¦?

I go 30mph on my 10s 200kv dual build :slight_smile:

I was gearing up for the vescā€™s that I ordered. Thats why I went 190kv at 10s to keep the erpm at safe level.

Iā€™m around 188lbs and Iā€™m only getting a top speed of about 23mph with dual 190kv motors 10s li-ions and TB 12s Escā€™s 15/36 gears 90mm wheels

What gearing? Iā€™m not that much lighter at 175lbs. Iā€™m sure i hit 190 with my backpack on, which I always have on. Iā€™m running 16/36 83mm wheels.

EDIT: gotcha

are you using Vesc? Li-ions or Lipos?

Yep. I guess it might be because Iā€™m using current control and youā€™re using duty cycle.

I canā€™t wait to try that current control!

Oh so you havenā€™t switched over to a vesc

havenā€™t got um yet

are you using Lipos?

I guess that explains why esk8 calculator isnā€™t very accurate for you too!

Iā€™m using the space cell pro 4, so Samsung 25R cells. VESC settings are 35A per VESC battery discharge max (70A total).

when I was running 12s lipos 16/36 gears 90mm wheels 230kv motors and TB12s escā€™s, I was only getting 28mph top

what motors are you running

chakaā€™s OM5065 200kv motors.

This was high but not full battery.

A BMS or lipo charger will balance the cells every time it charges it fully. Do cells need to be balanced every time itā€™s charged? No but it is safer, makes them last longer and increases performance of the cells.

That doesnā€™t mean you never need to balance them if you go this route youā€™ll prob need to manually balance them with the power supply once in a while

1 Like

Looks like dropping 2s and 1 pulley tooth and 40kv cost me 10mph Like when you go grocery shopping and get to the register. It really adds up. Thats ok, I donā€™t need to go 30mph anyway. Iā€™m 58 and I need to start taking it a little easier. Although my balance and reflexes are pretty good for an old guy. Iā€™ve handled a couple situations going over 30mph including speed wobble and managed to stay on.

That calculator doesnā€™t seem accurate. Iā€™ve done the math manually and toddy and makevoids calculators make sense to me. According to those youre 230kv 12s setup should get 47mph at full efficiency, but at that speed efficiency goes down the toilet. Either way you should be going VERY fast, faster than me. But again, this could be due to using duty cycle over current control as well, not sure.