Li ion with no bms?

Speed calculators never factor in rider weight or wind resistance . Thats what I use the trans ration for.

Weight becomes less of an issue as motors get up to speed and start spinning at max efficiency. I find it not as big a factor as hills, especially on beefier motors like yours.

even when your full throttle on flat ground, weight and wind resistance are still extra load

Trueā€¦

But if you charge your pack just under voltage say on a 12s to 50v Max and only discharge letā€™s say to 3v per cellā€¦then back on charge to 50v ā€¦ Discrepancies in battery voltage will not really matterā€¦plus you extend he life of your batteriesā€¦

If I was gonna do this myself ā€¦id build a 12s3p pack but treat it like it was a 12s2pā€¦id have pleanty of room on the top and bottom and would only periodically check the cells individually

Edit: on the condition each cell is working perfectly lol

It is load, but most of it is already being taken away from the motor into momentum. I agree on the wind resistance part though.

try testing your speed with and without your backpack and see if it makes a difference. Put say 10 lbs in you pack.

My pack is about 15 pounds, but Iā€™ve ridden my board without it. Not much change on flats.

All this capacity not being used just to avoid using a BMS.

A BMS charger combo is like 115 bucks depending on sources. Itā€™s worth being able to use your cells fully and have them live longer

1 Like

Wind resistance can be huge, once I burned up my hv switch because I was riding into a strong wind. everything got really hot

For sure. My commute home has a ton of resistance and can make my motors burning hot, but on the way there it only gets a bit warm.

I totally agree with you. BMS is the only way to go.

1 Like

I changed some settings on my Escā€™s. gonna go see if that helped. went from normal timing and medium acceleration to high timing and low acceleration. on this esc, lowering the acceleration moves the power band to lower rpm. on medium, I only had power at almost full throttle so I think It may have been set outside my rpm range.

gonna go cruise down to my daughterā€™s house and see what my grandson is up to. be back in little while with the results.

2 Likes

Let me know! I have no experience at all with regular ESCs.

Seems like I had a little more power on the low end. But no more speed at the top end. It will be interesting to see how the Vesc does My battery drops from 97% to 30% while going full throttle up 10% hill Voltage sag blues I had a lot more power with my Lipo setup.

Wow thatā€™s a huge drop! Is this on your Basen setup? I imagine itā€™s because of the low discharge rate at 2P.

Yes it is the Basen pack. It does fine on flat ground or slight inclines but chokes on steep hills. Iā€™ve done the same hill with 6s x 2 in parallel and only pulled around 34a from the battery. So I thought that 10s 2p would be sufficient. Donā€™t have room for 10 more cells to make a 3p. I might see about making a Lipo 10s flat pack.

1 Like

Actually after cruising around the neighborhood for a bit, I realize that this basen pack is just fine for cruising, just not for storming steep hills.