Landyachtz EVO 36 Falcon 2018

beef-its-whats-for-dinner-300x264

6 Likes

Is the talon actually that much better? Looking at my evo build and the way it’s shaped, it’s almost built exactly for what I want out of an esk8 board. The rear allows for a larger truck 218mm, and large motors, the front is slimmer and allows for a caliber truck for agile front steering.

The stability in the back and steering up front that it tends to naturally fits this setup so so well.

1 Like

Nice! but I think it might not work as good as you hope for :wink:

Time will tell :smiley: I’ll test it today. It’s a lot more surface area and more contact with the metal sides of the motors to transfer heat out to the hanger. Will bring the thermal camera and take a picture directly after riding today.

in that case it might work :wink:

Kinda hard to tell here but look at the sides towards the motors here.

IMG_3186IMG_3233

5 Likes

Sure better but you can see how much more this transfer area can be improved. Can’t wait to see thermal pics. Good job man :smiley:

I’m listening! :smiley: If you see anything I could Improve I’d be happy to try to change it. These things can eat more current if I can cool them I think. I’m already thinking that the best is prolly to go with straight fins all the way and maybe drill holes so air can flow through and cool over a larger surface area. Maybe I even could increase the area towards the motor more.

Todays test is kinda not a good comparison against yesterday. I was driving at the same spot but I was driving a lot harder than two days ago. I consumed 58Wh vs 89Wh so it indicates harder use today. I also went more uphill and more time at 100% throttle and hit 51km/h compared to low 40 smt the other day.

So for the pictures. I brought the camera to take pictures straight after a hard pull. I did register 63.5°C at the motors right after a hard pull uphill for 1km (that was third time going up/down the same hill). Yesterday I could not hold my hand on the truck after two rounds but today it was no problem to hold it there on the third but it did indeed get warm and especially when I was not riding so air could cool it down. I forgot to bring tape so the last picture of a cold truck is lying due to reflections on the bare aluminium. I also noticed that the temp of the truck increased quickly when I stopped.

FLIR0test

2 Likes

If this approach doesn’t work out, you should definitely make an attempt to make a narrower hanger to emulate carvons with the raptor hubs before switching over to belts!

Need more testing but it looks good. I doubt I will ride it any harder than I did today and I think them motor internals can handle more. What I didn’t like the other day was that the truck got to hot to touch in just two pulls up that 1km stretch. I do notice that I’m WAY off topic here with all this raptor truck mumbo jumbo so I’m going to create another thread for that. Sorry for messing up the landy thread.

The deck is amazing tho. I had 50km/h on it stable today and that’s with bad trucks/bushings. Can’t wait to see how this behaves if I can get better gear on it.

2 Likes

Anyone found the Falcon EVO to be to short? I feel that I can’t have a wide enough stand on it :X

2 Likes

I’ve been away for what feels like an afternoon, and meanwhile, you guys invented the heat sink-hanger - terribly impressive :slight_smile:

The raptor2 comes with a heat sink hanger I just made a bigger one with a different design. Jason has mentioned this many times in his videos but I still think it needs more cooling at least for me at 100kg with 12S battery…

1 Like

EVO on vacation :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I kinda never use my board anymore and I’m playing with the idea of taking it apart and fitt the raptor hubs and the electronics on a “kick” bike… It’s either that or selling it complete but do second hand boards get any money back or is there no point doing that?

1 Like

You got bored of your ride in a month?

Wouldn’t say bored but it doesn’t get used. At home I take the car if I’m going anywhere and when I travel I get to use it a little bit but only when I don’t go by plane due to the battery.

1 Like

I can see a few things you could improve mate:

1. I think you will need to ovalize the space around the bushing seat so when the hanger leans it does not make contact with the bushing.

2. Similarly, do the shoulders of the hanger (board side) near the pivot contact the base plate? You might need a bit more clearance than you think. Under load/compression the hanger may migrate further towards the base plate than un-loaded.

GL

those things are sorted in the later versions. You are correct that it did get to cramped around the bushing and it did hit the baseplate on flex. The last one I did has improvement on both those problems. You c an spot the fixes on this wider version (it does have other issues tho as marked in read…)

IMG_3511

2 Likes

you could also potentially build a smaller, lighter board that could easily fit on a backpack with a small enough battery to take on flights.

I know what you mean about not seeing much use out of a larger board. Unless you specifically set aside time for joyrides or have a meetup esk8 group in your area, OR live along paved roads to work it’s hard using it as an actual commute vehicle