Landyachtz EVO 36 Falcon 2018

Did you epoxy them in?

No i just used the tool to insert them.

Ah, some epoxy will keep them in place

5 Likes

Followed your advice and it looks way more solid now. I will let the epoxy cure for 24 hours before I put load on it. I used the “crimp” tool in addition to get a good squeeze.

On a slightly other topic. I have 12S4P samsung 30q and they have a fast charge of 4A so tota of 16A. Should I then keep at or below -8A battery amps for braking? That sounds very very low. I have set it to 40A batmax (80 total) for the positive side.

1 Like

Well it depends on how you like your brakes. You are only braking in short bursts. You could inch that up if you feel your brakes are too weak for your liking. I have mine a -12 each.

I have them set at -20 each now and it feels weak :blush: Will turn them further down so I don’t ruin my battery. I didn’t test it much outside yet since my enclosure isn’t fitted so will experiment some more. I don’t think the breaks can be strong enough so I just want to set it as high as possible without breaking the battery.

What is your motor min setting?

-40 I think. Will check when I can connect to it.

That setting is going to have more of an impact on normal riding speeds. Bump it up to -50 or so.

I am on 60/ -60 for motor settings

1 Like

Curious to hear how the hubs handle 12s (temp). Where do you live?

I live in Norway. I’m 100kg and live in a hilly area so I will put them on a test :smiley:

The raptor sensor does not include a temp sensor but I can take some pictures with a FLiR thermal camera.

Haha it is far cooler in Norway than in New York. Current temp averaging 35C this week.

Wow I didn’t expect heat to be this big of an issue. These thermal images is taken 15-20minutes after the ride when I got home. Outside temperature was 16°C. I did some hills and some pulls but nothing big. Was going slowly in max 40km/h or so since it was the first test run and it was only 4-5km ride total. I was hoping to ride a full battery but when the motor was to hot to touch I stopped riding. I think I have to design a new truck with larger surface area and maybe a duct system to get air flowing over the motor sides. I was running 60motor amps and 40bat amps pr vesc.

CSV log file that can be uploaded to https://www.gct-hp.de/VDLA/ is found here: https://ufile.io/pus2q

FLIR0111FLIR0112FLIR0110

3 Likes

if you’re going to design a new truck. why not move the motors inward and extend the axles. this way you can have a carvon type set up.

the cans are the same size as the carvon v4 sd. 70x70mm

That’s kinda complicated to do tho. Not sure how I can get them enough in to allow for wheels on the outside. Maybe something to consider for later tho.

I was thinking of milling just the hanger tomorrow and reuse the axles from the raptor. Hope they are standard metric threads so I have the proper tap for them. With more alu and slightly deeper cooling fins I might gain some more cooling. The truck actually got almost as hot as the motor so the transfer works great. Just got to get rid of all that heat somehow.

Is this a problem for big outrunners on belt also or is it a hub thing?

this is a hub problem. the urethane traps a lot of the heat

Bummer… If it doesn’t work with the custom truck I might have to go belt then.

I’m kinda disappointed with the torque/acceleration also. They are really powerfull at speed from like 15km/h and up but from standstill or if starting in a hill it feels slow like Inboard. I haven’t ridden the Inboard in a year tho so I might recall wrong but I kinda hand higher expectations of the raptor hubs. I have never tried a belt system but from what people say 6374 are pretty snappy.

Forgot to add a picture of the bad boy before first proper test run… image

4 Likes

Wonder if this might help :smiley: Bulky and ugly but need something not crazy hard to machine…

Hanger_Cooling_2018-Jul-05_04-04-40PM-000_CustomizedView4583351566

2 Likes

That looks awsome! :slight_smile: If you decide go belts I’ll take those hubs :smiley: are they oridinal enertion or you change something?

1 Like

They are stock but I replaced the low resistance sealed bearings with regular 2RS bearings. Might be a weight issue also with me at 100kg being to big for hub motors… Crossing my fingers for the new hangers but it’s going to be a while because it wasn’t easy to make CAM for this thing :stuck_out_tongue: