LaCroix Board Co. -- wood and CF deck + segmented flex carbon fiber enclosure -- GROUP BUY [COMPLETED]

My feelings are that a 9" or 10" option for real offroad makes a lot of sense for not too much extra weight. 9" tire option: 2.80/2.50 - 4 So you get an exra 15mm in width too, this spreads load and helps stop spinning wheel problems. For me it’s primarily dealing with sand, at present I can’t even go near anything not hard-packed, but muddy backroads, green lane trails, probably a similar problem

Caveat: I have not tries 8" Trampa mud pluggers yet.

The power would be plenty from a dual 6374 even from a standstill & top speed only increases which is maybe a danger if anything, downside? Maybe a little extra weight but it’s largely insignificant on the type of build under discusssion.

You can already do a chain or pulley driven 9" build using Trampa, MBS or DIY printed hubs, I am hoping for a vendor produced hub/wheel drive combo, I don’t want to say anything and step on any vendor announcement

But watch this space and save your shekels for concentrated off-road awesomeness

1 Like

Ahhhh went to Iceland last year. Loved it. Terrific place and out of this world scenery. I miss my daily skyr and the Omnom chocolate. Skál!

1 Like

@Arch, @pat_arch, Are you using mbs rockstar 2 hubs on complete board build? I saw that they are only capable for 8inch tires, is it true? Or it’s possible to put bigger tires for the same hub? Thanx

there are a few 7 inch offroad wheels available from MBS, I also think that all standard 8 inch wheels fit aswell without modification @Arch?

Yep, they fit 7 inch as well. As long as the hub is 3.75 inch in diameter, it will fit all known 7inch and 8 inch AT tires. In fact, the Rockstar2 might not fit MBS’s 7 inch tire (which they only sell on a 3 spoke hub), but it will fit Innova 7 inch tires and Evolve tires as well. So when MBS says it will only fit 8 inch tires (and not 7 inch tires), they only refer to their own 7 inch tires, not 7 inch tires in general. It’s confusing, I’ll give you that.

1 Like

For 9" you need to use the Fivestar hubs, whether they have the same hole pattern as Rockstar II, not sure.

They do have an extra lip inside to handle fitment of both 8" and 9" tires image image

1 Like

Look what came in the mail a day early today! imageimageimageimage

17 Likes

They even threw in some gummie bears!

1 Like

Yes I got some 2

Put about 10mi on the board tonight and here are some initial thoughts.

This board…it’s just impossible not to carve on it. It reminds me of my Triumph Daytona 675, a bike I bought thinking I had the track experience to just thrash, when in fact it could corner harder and faster than I was prepared to, the bike was more capable than I was. The DSS60, right now, will carve harder than I’m prepared to carve on it. Granted it only been 10mi…I just wasn’t expecting it to be this capable at carving and yet feel completely stable at all times…it really is surprising.

Anyway, I’m going to put some real miles on it over the next several days and then do a little review.

7 Likes

Is that a shoutout to Prusa from Lacroix?

That is awesome Adam I’m so jelly. I hope mine will come in a few weeks. I’m wondering that when I changed my order to the DSS650+ it doesn’t delay my order.

I have tried mine on a gravel path. No issues but I only went a short distance.

IMG20180616130611

I run 8" MBS wheels… I have a feeling at 9" you might get shoe bite, I occasionally get them on 8" wheels when my foot dangles over the edge when I do a hard carve.

5 Likes

how long did it take, I’m about a week or 2 from ordering one myself

1 Like

I told you guys! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So jealous!

One of the reasons I didn’t do the battery upgrade.

Took about 6 1/2 weeks to arrive from the day I ordered it. In the esk8 production world, it seems delivery delays are a way of life, so @arch and @pat_arch meeting the shipping estimate was impressive…especially for a new company. I’m sure this will become more difficult as the order volume increases, but I suspect they would communicate any meaningful delays.

Thanks again for your trust and support @Adam0311. I’d like to add that we are currently working hard to streamline the production process in order to accelerate it and cut down on wait time, even with a bigger volume!

1 Like

Yeah, it may be counterintuitive but it’s the opposite. More orders allow us to make bigger purchases and it streamlines everything. Also, tomorrow will be my last day as a patent lawyer and will now dedicate 100% of my working time to LaCroix. So that will certainly help. All the boards shipped to date were built between 8pm and 3am so it’s probably not the most productive hours of the day (except for @JohnnyMeduse LOL) Thanks again Adam, you helped make this possible :wink:

12 Likes