Just ordered an Evolve GTX Bamboo - need advice (update: canceled my Evolve Order)

What do you mean? If you ask if I get wheel spin, that depends on the tarmac surface but generally no. Off road yes, but I don’t use it off road as I have my Trampa for that.

6 Likes

Scroll up in my first post I linked a diy battery guide for evovlr boards(they all use the same enclosure iirc)

1 Like

Ah… missed your link from before… Thanks. Easy peasy then :slight_smile: I will ride the stock battery until it dies and then build a new pack

1 Like

I like those invisible wheels on the tayto! looks futuristic :wink:

6 Likes

Lhb, a very respected builder makes custom packs, albeit at a larger price than most

Here’s a post you’ll need on the bms and esc combo

Shameless plug for my guy Hyperion, massive evolve part blowout for them

And please. Please please please please please PLEASE get a battery that can flex if you’re sticking with the GTX. A normal battery will quickly become toast in that enclosure if it can’t deal with the forces the bending board puts on it

How the hell did I reply to myself? Lol I clicked the blue one at the bottom… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

My Landyachtz is also super flexible - I designed my battery pack to have many segments that can easily flex. Will just do that as well on the GTX if I ever go for it

1 Like

Crap. I forgot I was not supposed to post that picture

2 Likes

Ah jeez… just found out that I have a 6384S APS on my Longboard… messed up the type…

here is the video of my old board

1 Like

that one should be good for all terrain and even real off road :rofl:

1 Like

Looks like you’re no stranger to pushing your temperature to the max. I can’t say for sure but I would think that if you’re doing pulls like that constantly on the evolve, the range is going to be abysmal. You’re chomping through amps on your way up that hill :joy:

Also be wary of the evolve ESC and high temperatures, I don’t know if it functions like our vescs and restricts power, or if it just shuts off.

Just something to think about :joy:

1 Like

Well that hill was insanely steep - it doesn’t look steep in the video but it’s hard to catch on cam. This is one of the mountainroads near my hometown. I will test the GTX there - if it can’t make it up that hill it has to go :smiley:

What battery pack is in your single motor build? The prismatic cells they use are really meh when compared to most of the cells we use today

1 Like

I currently have a 12S3P setup. Cells I used are one of the recommended samsung type - can’t recall at the moment but High Discharge current rating Li-Ion (was a compromise).

1 Like

18650 30Q now I can remember :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah I would imagine that the 30q pack will push the same amount of amps at the evolve pack, but for much much much longer. The 30q has great (I know this word is made up, meh) anti-sag. The evolve… We’ll see :joy::sob:

1 Like

Hope it doesn’t get a deal breaker. Was not aware of the “technology” that evolve used for their batteries.

Seems that the GTX at least has the same battery as the GT Carbon. So it shouldn’t suck as bad as the GT Bamboo.

A nice range estimate trick for 30qs is that 10-14wh is equivalent to one km of distance

I can’t believe no one has mentioned that the range on there is the most optimal range possible. With them riding as slow as humanly possible, with either no rider, or the lightest person you could imagine… But it gets worse unfortunately. :frowning:

That range is only with urethane wheels, expect a 1/2 efficiency rate when you switch to the all terrain wheels

Start

360wh -> 36km

Account for pneumatic tax

36km /2 -> 18km

account for voltage sag

18km - > 15km max

and you’re left with probably 10km of fast riding, and then 5km of Eco mode

I’m really not trying to make you regret your decision, I. Just trying to lay it all out for you :sob::sob:

1 Like

I will never regret it - like mentioned earlier I am the only esk8er in my area. Having built three boards already of which I only kept the strongest one I was never really sure if I did a good job or not. I mean the board handles great - is even too powerful for my taste and has great range, but who know’s what “professional” companies come up with ?

Thats why I wanted to try a “premium” board and see how this compares. If it can go up the hill and go down again without breaking I might keep it and upgrade some things along the way. However if the sag is really that bad and they also didn’t improve on any of the newer revisions than I might have to bite the bullet and sell it for a couple of hundred euros less and move on planning my Mountainboard project.

The board is not cheap - my estimation for building my own mountainboard was around 2k € and with sourcing the parts and building and maybe also drawing some 3D printed parts in CAD, finetuning everything might set me back around 2 months.

So 1,6k € and a out of the box solution just sounded so much more convenient :rofl:

2 Likes

I can’t argue with you there, but dollar/km ratio for prebuilts is mind-blowing high. If you can afford it, go for it :slight_smile:

I just know I couldn’t spend 1.6k of my dollars on something that only takes me 9 miles. A 2k mtb would be astronomically more powerful and have a range of at least 20 miles

All depends on the buyer in the end. I hope you make threads about modding the evolve if you decide to do so, more documentation for the community is always a good thing

1 Like

some small backstory… I just got a bonus of 1,1k€ this month… and sold around 500 € of old stuff on ebay… So it was a no brainer as my only hobbies are synthesizers (desktop and eurorack modular) and electronics. And from those two categories I already have plenty.

It’s more of an experiment steered by financial fortunateness this month xD