Just ordered an Evolve GTX Bamboo - need advice (update: canceled my Evolve Order)

How come you are so set on belts and do not want gear drive?

2 Likes

I think maintenance on belts is much easier - cheaper and I could also Imagine that belts last longer.

Found a nice little enclosure (similar sized to the Trampa Monster Box)

2 Likes

I am not sure I agree with you there.

Maintenance in the case of gears is probably even less than belts.

That said when a gear does wear out though it will be more expensive to replace compared to a belt but I would expect gears to last 5-10 times more than a belt.

1 Like

This just isnt right sorry, gear drives should theoretically last indefinitely if they’re properly constructed and maintained. ( No vendor here has released a total lifetime distance on the drives, maybe they know, maybe they last forever 🤷🤷)

Belts will DEEP BREATH “stretch” and unless you have a tensioning system, will require semi frequent( depends on how hard you ride, temperatures, road conditions, etc) changing. I’ve seen people get 5 miles out of a belt, and others get hundreds of miles(how???)

One is a larger upfront cost, but if you’ll ride that board for a few years, it might be worth it for it’s ‘ease of maintenance’, versus cost savings

Not to mention I feel much safer with a gear drive… It just seems more bulletproof 🤷

1 Like

Ok… this might be true for mountainboards… On my 6384S single drive longboard I am still on the first belt… I am using it every day to drive to work… I am having it for 1,5 years already. I use an idler pulley and Probably a direct drive would last me longer - I have no experience on that - I just assumed the “hard friction” might bring some wear and tear

I just used this as reference…

So I thought 2000 km … I am already way over that with my belt

1 Like

So you would recommend an e-toxx in this case ?

hows that one ?

Yo, bro! It is not EUR 3000!! Check the newer posts!! :wink:

1 Like

yes… :slight_smile: I fell in love with another board already… there is almost no way I will look at anything else at the moment :smiley: But good luck with your sales

1 Like

One quick question.

I want to build a battery pack with Samsung 30Q - 12S4P or 12S3P. How much range could I estimate for each with a dual drive 6374 and 8 inch wheels ? Of course with some offroad action and uphill/downhill in the mix.

Thanks

Man, I want to help you but you are beginning to tire me out. You have to do a little more research. 12S4P with 30Q cells will not be sufficient for a mountainboard. It is not just a problem of range. These things are big, heavy and have a lot of drag due to the tires etc.

You need at least a 12S6P to not have too much voltage sag.

3 Likes

Just don’t answer me then :slight_smile: I was searching the forum for Mountainboard Battery but didn’t get to a conclusion. If you are so tired, take some rest from this thread, I ain’t mad :smiley: Have a good weekend

I am not mad. I am just saying it is in your best interest to do more research.

It will help you end up with a board more suitable to your needs.

Let me put it another way, you ask, I answer and you rely on my answers and a couple of other guys to configure your board. But this weekend all the experienced guys are away on holiday and you are stuck with an idiot like me giving you false information because I do not know any better.

If you do your own research you have a better chance of distinguishing the good from the bad info.

2 Likes

I just found many other builds ranging from 12S4P up to 10S12P and I don’t care much about range. Considering 20A per parallel pair - 4 of them can discharge 80A would be 40A per VESC. In my opinion that should be enough for 2x 6374’s and I don’t care much for range… If I can get 10km I am good.

Also seen your 12S7P build… however you didn’t mention any range - at least I couldn’t find it

You will definitely get at least 10km with a 12S4P, I would expect closer to 20km depending on how and where you ride your board. However I believe you will have too much voltage sag.

I get approx. 40km with my 12S7P but this can get a lot less when going off road aggressively.

1 Like

I mean upgrading is pretty easy so I will start off with 12S4P and see how it feels… Worst case I buy another 3-4P.

Don,t put yourself down dude. You’re not that much of an idiot. :wink:

3 Likes

Printing out a “holder” for the 12S4P. Will print 3 of those… top - mid - bottom. Should absorb shocks quite nicely and then seal them with a lid on the top and bottom

pretty minimalistic but should work and it fits inside my enclosure.

2 Likes

20190317_104141

And ordered the cells today as well. Looking forward

2 Likes