Just ordered an Evolve GTX Bamboo - need advice (update: canceled my Evolve Order)

So I was just thinking about my motor choice…

I still have a Maytech 6374 Motor (170 KV) so I would just have to buy another one to complete the set. But I think 170KV might be too high for my 12S Setup. I was also looking at APS Motors - those are not enclosed for the most part so the sensor PCB might be problematic for muddy/rainy terrain. Most other suppliers that I checked are out of stock on certain motors.

Whats your thoughts ? I think the motors should have around 130KV (or would you use 170KV and just compensate with gearing) ?

Would you use APS Motors - or can you recommend others that are on stock in Europe ?

Some People say they prefer sensorless because they are less likely to fail (I want to use them with a FOCBOX) - what’s your experience ?

Maybe I am also lucky and some motors pop up in the used items market. Thanks again guys have a great day

The Maytech 6374 work perfectly for a MTB, you just have to gear accordingly. I had tried them with 13/66 gearing and they were fine. I might have wanted a little shorter gearing but I would be happy with that too. Keep in mind that I like very short gearing on an MTB since I live in a very steep area that gets really hot during the summer.

APS motors have a lot of problems. Do a search and you will find plenty. Stick with Maytech or Hobbyking SK8.

Sensorless does not work for MTB since you can’t push start. An exception to that would be the use of an external encoder such as AS5047.

1 Like

Ok. Eskating.eu has 6374 on stock but it says 190kv… they look like maytech but not sure.

I have those exact motors bought from eskating.eu

I am not sure that the 190kv is accurate though, they are closer to 170kv.

I can’t measure the kv with the vesc terminal KV command since I run FOC, but I can tell you what erpm they reach at what V and you or someone else can figure it out.

2 Likes

Ok great so I will order those then together with two FOCBoxes

You do know that the single Focbox has been discontinued right?

No?

It’s on stock at eskating isnt it?

It seems to be.

That does not change the fact that it is discontinued, hence the “LAST STOCK IN THE MARKET” at the beginning of their listing.

1 Like

So what does this mean for me ? Should I buy them for as long as I can or is there a better alternative as of now ? Thanks

EDIT: So the new one is the focbox unity ? Didn’t find a supplier in Europe that has it :frowning:

The Unity has been rated for higher discharge, for longer amounts of time when compared to the single focbox, but the temperature aspect sort of becomes irrelevant when you strap a heatsink to it.

Ive heard of people doing 80a batt max on a single focbox(I think this was Kug3lis ?) But I would stick around 40a unless you have some good cooling

1 Like

So I should wait until the unity is available in Europe ? Then I will only order the motors and the direct drive and hope for the focbox unity to be available to EUROPEAN Suppliers as well

Unity batch 2 is shipping now, i would expect the likes of bioboards.se will have stock fairly soon at a slightly inflated price compared to enertion direct, but of course without the wait for batch 3.

1 Like

Great… I see they also got Motors that look like Maytech… Any experience with their motors ?

In the esk8 world so far, if it looks the same as a Maytech, it is a Maytech

1 Like

so much for the “slightly” inflated price…

Its all a matter of perspective!

1 Like

Yeah I guess…

So even with customs taxes I might be off cheaper ordering directly. However not sure how long it will take for the next pre-order batches to ship.

It says shipping “after march”

EDIT: Just ordered from Enertion

1 Like

Batch 3 is April / May i understand.

1 Like

Ok… so as an update. I ordered all parts now.

• Trampa Board
  • FOCBOX Unity
  • 12S4P Battery
  • BMS 12S 80A
  • E-Toxx Helical Direct Drive
  • 2x 6374 (150KV) BioBoards - Maytech Motors
  • Enclosure
  • Maytech Remote

Thanks for all your help - will make a new thread where you can see my progress as soon as the parts arrive. Have a good day

3 Likes