Hub motor adapter to direct drive

Believe it or not, most people don’t get watt ratings like that from testing. So when someone says the motor they are selling you is 2500W, doesn’t mean it can do that for very long either if it even can in the first place.

Watt ratings are not the best metric to look at. It really comes down to stator size, copper fill, and the amount of magnets+magnetic strength of said magnet. Bigger mostly means better, but most take shortcuts (like multi strand wire) to save costs in winding. The can size will tell you alot. Longer usually means longer magnets (i.e. stronger magnets) and wide usually means more copper. The only issue, is as a consumer, you don’t know what size anything is. So it’s mostly guessing and researching from those who have taken their motors apart.

1 Like

Not really much else I have to say to you man. I respect your work and dedication to the industry and wish your company the best of luck. I don’t think it’s worth it for either of us to deuce it out on here.

Deuce it out? I feel like I’m missing something… I’m just asking some questions cause I’m fairly new to this and really want to learn all I can to try and develop a motor and everyone’s comments help me learn more and more. I dream of starting a company, that’s honestly a long shot though (big surprise) but I’ve been talking to companies and different motor builder factories. Still trying to get an idea of cost cause all the details of what the specs for a perfect motor would be, that can do speeds comparable to Carvon’s, with torque greater than the best satellite motor setup, etc… Any one have a thought on what the ideal motor specs would be for that, including diameter and length along with the kv, amps, watts, etc… and in a Carvon style setup?

And the reason you don’t get a straight answer is no one wants to give away their secret recipe.

Honestly, bigger stator, more copper, and big strong magents. Do that and you’ll have a good motor.

Most people use the neodymium magnets, I heard that sintered cobalt or something like that was the very best magnet you can use. Also been looking into special types of coil for winding, and I came across a very cool product for keeping the motor cool called statorade, it’s a ferrofluid, sounds like it would be great in our applications…

Lol secret recipe? Is every one who’s on this thread building their own motors? As for Carvon’s, that’s a Turnigy SK3 6364/6374 just rewound to a different termination. Surely some people who know a lot about motors, but aren’t building their own wouldn’t have a problem sharing the ‘secret recipe’ if it could potentially lead to a new badass engine being brought to market for the diy’ers?

And I’m not asking for anyone’s specific motor specs if they are builders themselves, I’m just curious what the ideal perfect motor would be for our hobby.

The engine you linked by Alien Products seems like it would be capable of greater speed and torque than anything out right now if set up the way I want to… 80x100mm, lol, that’ll have more than enough copper and magnets, ie, massive torque and speed.

1 Like

Forum section on RC groups on winding Motors

More than enough. Stick 2 of those on a board and BOOM… you have a Formula One race board. Honestly with that size magnets, you could get a 100 or 150kv version and go 60mph. Lol

What kind of torque do you think? How steep of a hill could that tackle?

I’m not sure, but if you considered each 80100 like dual 6355s or maybe 6364s than maybe a 30 Grade Hill more than even 45? Idk, but all I know, It would be more than enough.

Challenge accepted! Lol…

1 Like

Look forward to the 1 3/4 feet long trucks fitted with dual 80100s going 60mph uphill. Good Luck :smiley:

1 Like

No it’ll be 4WD haha!

The equivalent of a 8wd 6364. Planning to go on the freeway or drive up Mt. Everest. Lol Don’t do that. Looking forward to the Ferrari board. :astonished:

Funny you should bring up an 8WD, I was seriously pondering how to go about and make one with some of the Carvon V4’s using this :slight_smile:

The cost for all the VESC’s would be absurd! Lol but yeah that would be a really really cool build!

1 Like

Damnit I just checked Carvon’s site and their not selling the V4’s individually anymore. Fuck! I was just getting ready to place an order for them… ;(

If you want to know what you need in the motor, go take a sk3 apart and you’ll see what carvon does.

Too small is a common problem. Theres only three direct drive/hub motors large enough on the market.

I actually am online right now looking at some at this very moment. Also considering larger motors…