Hub motor adapter to direct drive

im getting a notice on the side that I’m hogging the conversation and should do a private message.

idont know of another with a bearing support on both sides. but research more the thread i linked and also search on endless-sphere the forum owner did convert a normal outrunner to have a bearing on the other side. he pressed it in and also pressed in a support. inspiring stuff. youre taking on a lot though. lot of time and money for a gamble especially if machining is new to you but dont let me discourage you and no better way to learn.

I just had the company that makes the motors for the Segway and Ninebot contact me about building a custom engine for a skateboard… wondering if I should go with them or try and find a company that is maybe used to building smaller sized motors…? Though they literally make hub motors, though its the wrong type of hub motor, but all the same, they’re both for transportation, so it might be the perfect company. They want to know:

• You could provide your draft drawing or CAD drawing for us,and we will realize your idea.
  • We also need some other specifications:
  • Motor rim size:
  • Diameter of motor:
  • Length of motor:
  • Voltage:
  • Watts:
  • kv:
  • Speed:
  • Torque:
  • Slope:
  • Load capacity:
  • Outline demension:

What would make for the perfect skateboard motor setup on a thicker truck axle ran as a direct drive? I want the speed to be at least 30mph, not sure what good torque would be… It’s Newtons per… something though, lol. I think a 30% slope would be good. Load capacity, something like 250 max for 2WD and above that 4WD, watts I think around 3000ish, for Volts, would that be what a 12s voltage would be? like 50, 60? I think if there is going to be 15-20mm diameter in the center for the engine to be able to mount on different trucks the overall diameter should be an extra 15-20mm to compensate for what is lost… well, most rotors are 8mm, so 15-20 would only be 7-12 extra mm so that I guess is what should be extra… so maybe a 75mm x 80mm? Or is that too big? I want this to be crazy powerful but I don’t want it to be absurdly overpowered. I’ve been considering a planetary drive for higher kv but good torque, I’m skepticle though, cause both the Stary, and that very cool build thread that was on this site that just finished up not long ago were both quite noisy… Maybe something else can be thought up by the developers. Any thoughts???

Good info on what torque I can request. I’m thinking 300N?

This has a 12mm shaft A bit long though

That would be a monster! Damn that would easily get you going 40+ mph…

1 Like

To me a myth is not busted till I see or feel it with my senses, not just from reading the words of others…

What myth?

"The myth that hub motors means you don’t have wheels options is busted.

The myth that hub motors means less urethane is busted

The myth that hub motors are not ‘comfortable’ to ride is busted"

1 Like

Lol, oh yeah agreed.

What the hell is this? I just resigned back just to respond to this. When did I tell you to not to post anything in the forum? And if I did say you’re the first one I heard of bending problems, it’s because you were. What are you saying I lied to your face. I met you at SPD2 and you never said anything to me.

You also asked me a lot about how the V2 urethane was attached and how I told you the ABEC11 Flywheels are better than the Clones because they have an inner core that is cooked with the outer urethane. And guess what, now you have the same formula. I was not replying to you because I saw that what I was telling you was filtering down to Hummie’s post and you never told me that you guys are working together. I emailed you about it and you were very apologetic and humble.

I have stayed quiet for a long time. But this has gone too far. This is libelous.

2 Likes

I don’t even know where to respond to you. Don’t know why you feel the need to post private emails. Is this what you do to your customers?

BTW, you never even responded to me.

I didn’t say anything at SPD2 because I didn’t want to get into a verbal altercation with you that day. It was a special day and I didn’t need that kind of negativity.

Bahaha! That’s hilarious! I can’t believe @evoheyax has been bashing your product while writing this in an email.

Saying he hates the culture of bashing others to sell their products when they do it. Too funny

First off, this email was over 6 months ago, times were very different. Hummie didn’t have any new working design in over 1.5 years, I couldn’t see where those were going. I’m not trying to bash his product either, I’m just stating my experience. Carvons in my opinion are 60% marketing, 40% actually good. So many caught up on the hype to the point where people want to copy, with out understanding why hubs will improve in general (not just ours). I have even said good things about the carvon v3’s. One story of what happened to me in the past doesn’t constitute bashing IMO when I’ve said many good things about the product.

I’m not going to post private emails to try to settle some sort of public argument. I think it’s very inappropriate for private emails to be posted public ever, under any circumstances. I don’t care what I say or do, it’s rude, especially when it’s communication with your customer.

Believe it or not, I have had customers ask me to buy hummie motors, and I’ve turned them away to carvons, because I knew they would be a better fit for them. I never said the aren’t an option, just I question them because of my experience in the past.

2 Likes

Whoa… Why is this all coming out on this thread?

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. Lol

Haha, oh well. So I have a question hopefully someone can answer. How does the amount of watts a motor has affect the performance of a motor? For instance, Carvon’s has 2500W each, so a pair gives 5kW. If I built an engine with the same kv as Carvon’s, and set them up the same way, but say they were 4000W each, would my speed be greater, or acceleration better? Just curious cause a lot of the other engines that have comparable kv don’t go near as fast as Carvon’s, so I was wondering how they effect things.

Further more, if that is the case, could I not have as low of kv and still have a larger amount of torque if my watts are higher, or substitute them in a manner of speaking for some other traditional method of getting the performance typically expected if I had gone the normal way? I’m assuming they require more power to operate, but if the battery pack is big enough then no worries there and things like steeper hills could be conquered…? Or am I just totally wrong here, lol… I know there good for something, I just want to know specifics.

Watts don’t really mean too much. The kv means speed, amps means torque, watts are a combination of both. It’s best to get motors that can run on higher wattage than the esc (ESCs really don’t put more than 1500w). Watts is more like the buffer before the motor fries. To sum it up, watts aren’t super important, just get motors that have a tad bit more wattage than the esc will be able to put out.