Hub motor adapter to direct drive

You have obviously never machined anything. So please stop. Also Carvon machines their stuff here in the US as far as I’m concerned through liquid trucks.

@Michaelinvegas Correct me if im wrong

1 Like

I never claimed to have machined anything, but I read these threads constantly and while your right about the trucks, my mistake, I just last week read something about them waiting for some parts to come in from China and then they could start sending the motors out. I don’t get why your being rude to me when I’ve made it abundantly clear I think they have a great product, I’m not trash talking or anything. I think I can express a viewpoint that I think something is highly priced without getting insulted for that opinion. The whole point of this thread was me wanting to build something similar to what they make, but it keeps getting directed back to this subject. So if you want to comment anymore, let’s focus on a new hub motor build or adapter plate like this thread is titled please.

2 Likes

Please point to the part of my post where I insulted you… I am not being rude, just honest. You have never machined anything, was I wrong? Do you know how much time is involved in machining something with good precision? A CNC mill for metals costs upwards of $30,000, and it doesn’t come with a friendly manual or YouTube tutorial. You either have to spend a few thousand hours learning or hire someone to do it. A technician in California probably costs around $20-30 an hour. It would take at least an hour of machine time per truck, then another hour or 2 for adapters and such. My guess is there is at least $100 worth of labor in each drive.

It’s easy for a DIYer with the right tools available to say a part is only worth as much as the materials cost, but factor in your time and you’ll realize things are way way more expensive than they seem.

1 Like

This would be what I’m referring to. Whatever though, forget it I’m tired of talking about this.

I meant it as stop assuming how much it costs when you have not done similar work. Not insulting you.

Ok it’s fine, no worries. Miscommunication.

2 Likes

Well I think I just found the board i’m going to use for these motors and my build.

Way too much drop on that board to use an under deck enclosure without massive risers.

Shit I didn’t even consider that… Oh well, I really do love the Evo deck. Though I’ll probably just make a CF composite with built in enclosure.

1 Like

If so then be prepared for a noisy ride full of vibration.

what woud you reccomend? I’m 5’9" and 165lbs.

Keep it simple for your 1st build and go with tried and true. An evo deck, FOC box’s and an enclousure from @pyschotiller, then a drive train of your choosing.

well i’m hoping by the time i’m getting a vesc some of the new vesc 6’s will be available, but that’s probably what i’ll end up doing, along with a 12s8p pack.

1 Like

I have 4 vesc6’s, they cost triple. Im sure they are a step up in current handling ability but they definitely dont offer triple the performance. FOC box’s will likely be more than sufficient for your 1st build.

1 Like

Good point.

especially with the low erpm of direct drive your less likely to damage the vesc

1 Like

I think I found a really good contender for a motor to use.

http://store-en.tmotor.com/goods.php?id=328

It’s got a prop diameter of 15mm, so I could get a truck with a mostly circular hanger around the axle, and machine it down to 15, then I dunno, thread them both to secure it? Not sure how I would secure it, but this motor is seriously powerful and I woudln’t need to modify the motor at all, would I?

still has the shaft supported only on one side like a typical outrunner. look how the sk3 linked has the bearings holding both sides of the bell. otherwise one hit and done.

the price is pretty insane considering the wire is just good, laminations are lame, and doesnt even mention the magnets. it does have a bunch of empty hype though with claims surely unverifiable. looking cool is the best thing it has going. even their 3d image of the winding looks very lame with very little copper fill.

Couldn’t I just fit a bearing on the other end? I’m not really understanding what your are talking about. Can you provide a pic of a link or something that shows this? Do you know of any other motors that DO have support of the shaft on both sides?

Also, from the picture, you can’t really tell if it is supported witha bearing on the other side or not cause the rotor mount is covering more than a 15mm diameter.

1 Like