How to make a board that reaches 35+ MPH?

Lol like style

But me no do the stink bug lol

1 Like

Hey no prob man, again apologies for getting all “dad-like” just wanna make sure no one gets hurt :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hahah yeah I’m gonna go on the record and say I’m unapologetic for the stink bug. I got short legs and it helps me turn better lol

1 Like

He saw a little bit of how I really ride when I tried out his hub

1 Like

So true. A lot of people have no idea what 35mph feels like on a skateboard. It’s exhilerating, but yeah, one wrong move can kill you. Anyone hitting those speeds better have a lot of experience riding fast.

1 Like

What voltage are you thinking?

@RunPlayBack I was just about to write something similar. Good looking out!

@Michaelinvegas Is the stink bug the full-squat stance? I’ve been trying it out! It felt weird at first but the low center of gravity is really interesting. I’ll start a new thread to talk about riding stances. Esk8 opens up a whole new range of them!

And don’t forget the random asshole throwing shit in your path to try to make you SYF. Sad, but true.

2 Likes

So like in my vids, if you notice how I ride goofy - my low stance is my back heel turned up and back knee turned up with my right knee helping to steer. The lower center of gravity means I can go faster with little wind resistance. So when I turn a hard right I’ll grab the board with my left hand. When I turn left I’ll throw my left on the ground with a sliding glove to give me another point of contact on the turn and to provide a little friction without having to use brake. It’s a little weird technique and is kind of like stink bug on a longboard but because I favor my right hand on the controller and I’m not really riding on soft wheels and I’m not sliding, it makes sense and I actually feel safer. It’s not for everyone but it works for me.

http://runplayback.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/IMG_9800.jpg

1 Like

Hahah I remember that …

That’s fucked up hahahh. True story lol

See you guys are getting down…

I stand up but I use my hands and hips to flare around corners like snowboarding … Hence how I ride … I’m pretty animated when I get groovin’ on twisties … I feel if I get down…something happens like a wheel breaks loose…I won’t have time to get up and run it off and save myself…

1 Like

Lol @RunPlayBack can be my partner in doubles lol

1 Like

12s Li-ion!

You should include rider weight in your calculations. 140lb rider vs 180lb ride makes a world of difference.

This would be an instance for the use of a stink bug move… Lol … But rare you would slide … No need to if you have brakes …

I feel standing up, digging and positioning the body and arms is just as effective in helping you make those turns that would you otherwise not make

But to each thier own…can’t wait to get in a race league and run through courses … We’ll be playing for board pink slips lol

1 Like

I think that’s to high of a kv unless you want to go faster than 40mph. 190-200kv would be good imo something about efficiency. Just look at @Photorph board that lhb built. And vesc v6 should be coming out this year hopefully and should be worth the wait.

1 Like

I’m almost done a build of a 4wd hub motors with 4x VESC with a custom 10s4p battery. I’m estimating I should be able to do 28 mph, with pretty good torque. Hubs can have good torque, but they need to be a lower kv. The carvons can do 35 mph no questions asked. But torque at 149 kv sucks, it’s too high for any sort of hills. With hummies 80 kv, torque is good. I’m exited to see what 4wd feels like.

12s I feel is important. I would do 12s right now if I had space for more batteries.

I think the best way to achieve this comfortly is to through more motors on the board. You want torque and speed and it’s the classic battle I think ever builder has had or is having.

I think hubs are simpler and can have great torque in speed. But you need more of them to make up for the lack of gearing.