How to make a board that reaches 35+ MPH?

Oh, I know. I’m curious as to how they feel in comparison to the 149 kv. I’m about 200 lbs, and with hummies 80 kv motors, I have great torque. With his 90 kv motors, I have close to the same torque, a few mph higher. I’m combining the 2x 90kv with 2x 80 kv right now, which should blend to 85 kv. The difference are his wheels are 83mm. You use 90mm, which has a higher top speed, but you’ll lose a bit of torque at that cost. I’m trying to create a board with as much torque as a good belt setup.

I;m really temped to send my carvons back to get the 85kv. But I’m even more curios as you how my torque would change if I did a 4wd of the 149 kv’s. I’d like to have a super high top speed board, in addition to a more efficent board that’s more practical for city commuting.

@LEVer is it possible to get my carvon v2 sensored by you? It’s really only that first 0-10 mph that lacks torque with the 149 kvs. Once your at 20 especially the toqrue on up is insane.

1 Like

Hey man

I have been reading a few of your posts and I have a task I need some guidance with if possible please. I have a Evolve Carbon GT and I love it but I want a board that goes 30mph plus with AT MBS 8 inch roadie tires. I want to strip the guts out of my evolve board and put new more powerful motors and all new electronic Parts. I know I won’t be be able to use any existing inner parts so I would love to know what you would use in terms or motors and parts if you had to rebuild this board as a Frankenstein street sleeper.

I appreciate any help. Cheers man

That calculator doesn’t make any sense. How can making the gear ratio so the motor gear is bigger make the board go twice as fast?

The calculator works perfectly.

1 Like

This is a 2 year old necro thread guys :rofl:

1 Like

Ohh Curtis…

jeez haven’t been here in a while…

Theoretically I could go faster then airplanes if I did this setup.gearing%20ratio

1 Like

Yeah give it a shot.

Read this if you actually want to learn

1 Like

I think of it like this…

If your motor pulley has 15 teeth, and your wheel pulley has 36 teeth, this means one rotation of your motor pulley will turn your wheel pulley 15/36ths (or 5/12ths) of a full rotation… a bit UNDER half a rotation.

If you increased your motor pulley to 20 teeth, one rotation of the motor pulley would turn your wheel pulley 20/36ths (or 5/9ths) of a full rotation… a bit OVER half a rotation.

So once both motors meet their maximum rpm (revolutions per minute) - which set up do you think will be going faster? Answer: the one with the 20t motor pulley, as it will create more rotations of the wheel pulley in the same time.

Of course the 20t set up will require the motor to work harder to reach max rpm… so there’s a limit to how far you can push that calculation. Your 1000mph setup won’t actually work because a 360kv motor isn’t going to handle that kind of torque. And if you tried to put a 5t wheel pulley on a 90mm wheel, the belt would almost certainly slip (think of trying to turn a large screw with too small of a screwdriver).

@curtis unloaded (board upsidedown w/ no rider) and ignoring bearing losses, the edge of the wheel can go that 1000mph speed if the wheel/drivetrain can handle the centrifugal force, but with the total 3 lbs thrust @ 80a motor current with 2 motors and the wind drag of a rider, in reality, loaded with a rider you’ll only get about 15mph top speed on flat ground with that setup…

1 Like

This was a funny read. I love threads frpm 2016. Watching people talk about 35mph like its some next level sh**. Times have changed.

1 Like

@curtis try a no load test with that kv & gear ratio (with appropriate safety goggles) & you’ll probably witness your wheel do something like this:

No I understand it, but I think it’s stupid to think that changing the gear ratio can make the motor go faster than a commercial airplane.

Personally I’d do a single motor 6355, 6374 or 6380 on a 12s battery with a 16-36 gear ratio to hit that 35+

It won’t…it just will in theory.

It’s power that will give you that speed. Assuming no losses at all you actually would get to 1000mph but it would take a very long time still.

Please don’t try that ratio…

40+mph

Single 6374 195kv Focbox 16/36 12s 100mm

I defiantly understand. I don’t know how many times I have to say that calculator calculates how fast it would go in theory. If you don’t account for gravity, a rider, wind resistance, or even heat.

Wouldn’t it be smarter to have 2 motors if your going to be going that fast? Actually no you are trading stability for speed.