How I made my lipo packs slimmer!

If you’re in the us, I can help you

I’m in Las Vegas NV :+1:t4:

Okay cool send me a PM with what you need done

1 Like

@StormTrooperBert when we riding?

1 Like

Once I get these lipos flattened and order some kydex to form a good enclosure I’m SO fuckin down for a ride. @barajabali I’ll get a PM over to you asap. Thanks brotha.

Might consider this mod, right now my batteries are ~2inx~2inx~6in X 3 in series so, kinda big in area coverage.

I have a question but I didn’t want to make a new topic for those small questions. I’ve a 6S2P pack of single 20C 5Ah cells but and ran fine for 4 months but suddenly I discovered that a tab has broken of a cell.

Should I replace this battery or is there a way to fix this?

2 Likes

It may be possible to fix it be soldering, but i guess you`ll need to be pretty decent at soldering

1 Like

Yes there is a way to fix it. Are you using the aluminum solder ?

2 Likes

Would you recommend buying solder tin made for aluminium, or buying a paste and solder with regular solder on top of that?

1 Like

No you need the aluminum solder. The green roll that I recommended up top works great.

But anyway you need to shave off a little of the aluminum casing to reveal more of the tab. If you go too far you will have a lipo fire. Only go 1-2 mm so you can solder onto it. You’ll have to clean the tab off so the aluminum solder sticks to it

2 Likes

So you mean not using tin but aluminium? I got a solder iron 450°C max but I guess to melt aluminium it has to be hotter?

That should be just hot enough. Mine goes to 900f and it can just do it.

Yes aluminum

no, no… :joy: You need to use a special type of solder made for aluminium. It does not consist of aluminium :wink:

Ooh oops I didn’t knew for sure what baraja ment. I always wipe a bit on the battery tabs, then use flux and tin will hold perfect on the tabs. I was planning to solder the tabs together but I was afraid tin would’t be strong enough :slight_smile:

Exactly yes

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010UMSB9Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I used some of this stuff with the same kind of break on a tab and it worked at least for the short term, I ended up replacing the battery eventually anyhow due to damaged cells in it from low voltage at some point, now I’m ultra-paranoid about it. Would see what you can do to reinforce those tabs on the other cells too since I think that’s a pretty common place for it to break from flexing back and forth credit card style.

1 Like

Yeah I’m making a new pack and I’m also a bit afraid this happens again. But maybe I flexed this tab to much without thinking about that it’s just a weak spot to bent the tab. I have made 2 other packs and have never had problems so I guess this will only happen once :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @FredrikHems @barajabali Grinded the 2 tabs and added flux, then put tin on the tabs and felt pretty strong again. Also added some flexible glue underneed the tab so it will stay in place and hopely never come loose again :slight_smile:

1 Like

How much would u charge for 2 6s 5200 mah lipos connected in series with a charge only bms into a slimmer pack. I have everything already wired up and was just curious how much u would charge to flatten them.