How I made my lipo packs slimmer!

Bump!! I am working on a 12s2p HK graphene 65c (which are true 30-35c in reality) at the moment!! That alusolder @barajabali linked works like a dream. The trick is to apply it from the side, otherwise the flux just burns off.

I am very excited to be moving forward with this project, as I anticipate pretty extreme performance out of this pack! 20180807_125857

Still have a bit of work ahead lol, 18 more cells to separate and reconnect :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

5 Likes

So I’ve opened a can of worms here. Traditionally, lipo cells have a copper or nickel strip spot welded to the aluminum terminals that is easy to solder. The graphene lipos DO NOT. It’s just aluminum, crimped together and soldering it is incredibly difficult to get right. I’ve been researching the alternative methods for this for the past few days and I haven’t found the perfect solution. When I get the process right, I’m going to document it in a dedicated thread to warn/help others with the method. For now, fml

3 Likes

I totally don’t have an experience with opening a lipo but maybe the + and - terminals big enough to make a hole and fix the cables with a crimp connection like this image

2 Likes

This is one of the options I have considered! On endless sphere, there’s talk about using rivets, bolts and etc. I’m also thinking about two holes through the tabs with dual 12ga wires soldered through the holes…

2 Likes

i did this with my first pack (with bolts), worked flawlessly

2 Likes

You really should have those cells connected together. A sheet of polycarb underneath attached with double sided tape should do the trick. Otherwise vibrations (and handling the pack actually) is going to destory those tabs. I’ve learned this the hard way.

Also make sure to secure the pack to whatever it attaches to by adhering it on. A pack that size can’t just be put inside a shell, even if it doesn’t have room to wiggle. Any kinds of impacts or vibrations are going to take effect on only the front or the back cell with the full weight of the pack.

1 Like

Has anyone ran a battery pack like this with a VESC in FOC mode? I would love to make my batteries like this, but I’m worried about the long battery wires causing damage to the VESC. With a single layer of cells, I don’t see a way to avoid having at least one battery wire run the entire length of the battery pack.

1 Like

Get a capacitor pack and no worries! Plenty of threads about it here, just use search function

1 Like

Most ESCs have supply capacitors for this very reason. As long as you use large enough wire (12AWG minimum, 10AWG is better) you should not have any problems.