Higher precision bearings (Beta/Testing Stage)

I understand that you are doubtful about high priced bearings I am too. Thus why I have always use zealous they run smooth and have built in spaces and speed rings and are cheap. When I originally started looking at these the now president of the company was the person who I was speaking with when he was an engineer a few years ago when he was with a different bearing coming one that did German manufactured bearings. I was able to get @b264 silicon nitride bearings for less than probably any other hybrid bearings.

1 Like

Hey. If you want to have a second set out there. I usually ride out in the rain and crap thatā€™s always on the streets of Atlanta.

These actually came straight from the manufacturer.

So not possible to get these right now?

Love a wack at a 10mm variant for the surfrodz guys. Iā€™d be all over these. Im like b264 in tge sense i donā€™t drive. My board gets me to work. And i live im pnw. It rains. Alot. True testing is gonna take forever lol.

1 Like

They would just be dropp shipped from the manufacturer. That is what I did with @b264 transferred funds for the bearing through PayPal

What are the measurements for surfrodz bearings and Iā€™ll check.

Itā€™s a normal skate bearing but instead of 8 mm inner diameter itā€™s 10mm

What I saw was a 10mm x 22mm x 6mm so itā€™s a mm thinner than the 608 they are more expensive however.

If the 1mm wider are cheaper, The width isnā€™t important seeing we still use same wheels pullys. Just inner diameter is different for us. I donā€™t even run surfrodz bearings.

https://www.thevaultproscooters.com/sites/default/files/styles/product_image_max_size/public/product_images/BS421_01.jpg.jpg?itok=otGW23pE

you want a bearing that lasts then go for a scooter bearing. No other discipline puts as much pressure on a bearing period. Hard side ways hits and massive impacts. These are 608 size with a 10mm shaft.
Go to a scooter store and buy specific scooter bearings. Forget ceramic. They are good initially then fail with catastrophic results. Bad steel just keep rolling, bad ceramic disintegrate.

2 Likes

Ceramic is fine as long as you donā€™t assume skaters are using full ceramic bearings. :joy: Hybrid ceramics are what you want, just the balls. Slather them with a good amount of ā€œball butterā€ and they last as long or longer than the steel variant. Also if you are paying over $30 for a set of ceramics you are wasting your money.

3 Likes

Ball butter mmmmm. stop it!

2 Likes

LoL since I have motors, it doesnā€™t matter :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me too, but if they do end up being great, we wonā€™t know for sure until after winter is over :expressionless:

3 Likes

Built-in spacers only make the bearings less useful, not more useful. Keep the bearings as bearings and the spacers as spacers.

These bearings are not the type for downhill longboarding but fine for motor powered applications. You will rarely change these types of bearings for maintenance.

2 Likes

Iā€™m confused as to what world a built in spacer is less useful? We appreciate what youā€™re doing but itā€™s kind of like you are trying to reinvent the wheel.

I assume he means for pulleys that have built in bearings. Zealous have spacers AND speed rings built in. The speed ring spacing (.5mm) probably interferes with using pulley bearings.

However Iā€™ve found that itā€™s much easier to just stack 3 zealous bearings and have one act as the pulley bearing. Of course itā€™s gotta be designed around that bearing shape. But it should be standard with other integrated spacer bearings.

I mean like Zealous bearings for example where the spacer is built-in. Thatā€™s less useful, not more. Because now I have to work around that if I want to do anything except what everyone else does with them. Isnā€™t this a DIY forum? Last I checked, itā€™s not apple.ā€‹com

Sure it may save 3 seconds in installation, but then it eliminates most things you can use it for, aside from a ā€œstandard, traditionalā€ skateboard wheel setup. It makes it harder to innovate. Also what if I need 0.2mm speed rings instead of 1.0mm speedrings? Now my bearings have to be changed? What if I want bearings in my pulley? All of these things now those wonā€™t work for, and all to gain 3 seconds. Thatā€™s a terrible deal. There is no ROI on integrated spacers and it can stifle innovation because itā€™s one more obstacle to work around for nearly no gain.

1 Like